Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:55:47 PM EDT

Okay, I installed Debian on an old box to use as a server. I did the default server install, and now I'm looking at installing an X window system. I've set up X-windows manually once before, but it was on Red Hat 5.0, and a loooong time ago. Now, on the linux installs I've done, the installer is so good it configures everything automatically...so I haven't had the experience I need to set this old box up properly.

It's only a 300mhz PII with an SiS 6326 8mb on-board AGP video system, so I'd like to use a lightweight window manager like fluxbox, although I'd be willing to try other window managers if anyone has suggestions.

The problem I'm running into is I'm not finding a good guide to installing X using apt-get. I'd prefer to use Xorg over XFree86, so that's another issue.

Most guides I am finding either don't use apt-get or don't use Xorg. Any suggestions where I should look for help?

Jim
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:06:47 PM EDT
i think the reason debian is so stable, its because it doesn't use a gui interface. kinda like dos. it didn't lock up. there is less to go wrong
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:43:48 PM EDT

Well, the default workstation install for Debian does use X. I could just reformat and install as a workstation, but I'll only really learn something about the system if I go through the process semi-manually.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:21:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 10:21:48 AM EDT by KS_Physicist]
I gave up and reinstalled Deb as a workstation. I still have to mess with the X configuration, because it isn't giving me the video modes I want, but now I can at least see how X is supposed to work.

I can always load the server modules later, or re-install once I understand the config issues.

Jim
Top Top