Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 7:15:58 PM EDT
A friend of mine and I were talking today on what the must have books for the trade are.  Here are the rules.

Software topics only.  Too hard to cover both software and hardware in just 7 books.

Any book that promotes a product is not valid.  This is for the purist.  Now, your book choice can provide examples in C or Java or (name your compiler) as long as it is not restricted to just that language.

The categories I would like propose the books must fit into are:

Algorithms

MissouriBob's favorite is Introduction to Algorithms by MIT Press though the Art of Programming by Knuth is a close second.

Security

MissouriBob's choice here might be Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier

Database

MissouriBob has no real pick here

Network Communication

MissouriBob's choice is Unix Network Programming by Stevens

Compilers/Languages

MissouriBob has no pick here.

Operating Systems

MissouriBob hesitates to pick Modern Operating Systems - 2nd edition by Tanenbaum

Modeling/Patterns

Design Patterns - Gang of Four (Gamma)

So, for all of you serious comp sci gurus what are your picks?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
And a book on how to write software that does not need fucking administrator/root access to run.

Edit -> Principle of Least Privilege
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
From an historical perspective: The C Programming Language, Brian Kernighan /  Dennis Ritchie.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
From an historical perspective: The C Programming Language, Brian Kernighan /  Dennis Ritchie.

C is not historical.  It still is the driving force behind most real computing including java.  What do you think most JVM's are written in?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C is not historical.  It still is the driving force behind most real computing including java.  What do you think most JVM's are written in?

The book, not the language.

ETA: My apologies, this book doesn't meet one of your initial requirements.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Database
An Introduction to Database Systems by C J Date, but if you're going to be using an SQL database, then something SQL-specific would be more effective if your time is limited.

Algorithms
Any of the Sedgewick books in the language that you use.

Using an Operating System (as contrasted to desigining one like the Tanenbaum one)
UNIX System Administration Handbook by Evi Nemeth

C Programming
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Richard Stevens.  No question here.  Once you know the basic syntax of C, this book will take you to the next level.

z
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Network
Right now I'm enjoying Computer Networking, a top down approach featuring the internet by James F. Kurose and Keith W. Ross.  It uses a small amount of Java for example code.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Log = root .
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Database
An Introduction to Database Systems by C J Date, but if you're going to be using an SQL database, then something SQL-specific would be more effective if your time is limited.

Algorithms
Any of the Sedgewick books in the language that you use.

Using an Operating System (as contrasted to desigining one like the Tanenbaum one)
UNIX System Administration Handbook by Evi Nemeth

C Programming
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Richard Stevens.  No question here.  Once you know the basic syntax of C, this book will take you to the next level.

z

The Date Database Systems book was on top of my list, but that's not my area of expertise so I didn't put it down.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

Not even historical.  C is still out ther in force.  C and C++ still form the core of most every operating system.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never found a textbook that could compete with the O'Reilly books.

YMMV

I've read (and used) parts of Unix Network Programming - good book.

Another networking book that i've seen on quite a few shelves  in one version or another is Computer Networks by Tanenbaum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top