Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 7:16:42 AM EDT
Keep getting this message when I return to my PC after leaving it idle for a while

Now, my explorer.exe in taskmanager uis using up uber resources again.  It did this before but I installed all of the updates, SP2 and it(temporarily)  fixed it.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
run AV a couple times (after getting updated)
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
AV = antivirus?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#3]
yes!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I belive mcafee does its virus scan while the screen saver is active.

at this point i would restart the computer.  while the dell(whatevercomputeryouhave) screen is displaying  press the f8 key several times.   select safe mode with network support.  if you have high speed, you can update your definition files now.   once they are uptodate.  run a full system scan.

edit.  the files found are in the system restore folder   right click on my computer click properties, click system restore.  turn off sytem restore.   then restart the computer.  it might take a few minutes to disable but resart when done.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Microsoft now as a free malware online scanner that updates every Tuesday.  Also House Call has a free online one as well.  Also try Spybot and Adaware, both are free downloads.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#6]
still no dice onh the explorer issue, although the full sys scan foudn and deleted two trojans
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
try ewido  don't have to install background support.  

xblock

if its finding the same files over and over again you might have to uninstall your antivirus and restart the computer.  reinstall and it should fix the problem  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Use McAfee's STINGER virus checker. If you are running XP, disable System Restore and boot into Safe Mode before running STINGER.

Also you need to complete all the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Critical Update patches. Just run the updates tool until there are no more updates to be found.

Also download Spybot S&D and run in safe mode after getting the most recent updates.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Try  www.Xoftspy.comfinds alot that other miss, won't clean it unless you buy. But it list location and you can clean it up yourself.

www.secretmaker.com I use this to clean left over cookies, and it cleans adware and spyware so good that Adware and SpyBot don't find anything to clean. Also free.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
try ewido  don't have to install background support.  

xblock

if its finding the same files over and over again you might have to uninstall your antivirus and restart the computer.  reinstall and it should fix the problem  

I forgot about ewido.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top