User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why should I be using Promox over something like VMware ESXI? Assuming both are free and no feature reductions.

I currently have a Dell R720 rack with 2x E5-2690
64gigs ram
8x 3TB Ultrastar 7k4000
VMware ESXI

I run my router, pi-hole, security cam system, NAS, and other network services.

ESXI has been working essentially flawless for me for several years now.  However, since the last update I have done (v6.7) they shifted most things to the web interface vs the client app.  It really sucks working with it. Luckily I don't have to ever get in there much.

I am curious about other hypervisors. Just requires a shit ton of work researching, experimenting, and possible migration.
View Quote

I have not used VMware stuff in a LONG time so I really can't compare it.

If you want to give ProxMox a spin just run it in a VM on your VMware server to get the feel for it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I didn’t realize most of the V2’s were so cheap now either.

I was looking at the E5-2687W v2, however, the only difference between it and the E5-2667 v2 that I see is 3.4Ghz vs 3.3Ghz Base Clock respectively. They both have a 4.0Ghz Turbo Clock it appears.

I just didn’t see paying $125+ for the 2687 vs $40 for the 2667 since the 2667 has a lower TDP which I want.

I was looking at building a Threadripper Pro system but now I’m going to hold off as I’d rather spend $80 currently than $4000.
View Quote

It seems when you deal with used cpu's the top tier ones are always a lot more than the ones a level or two below the top end ones.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Messing around with the Windows 11 vm and found that if you change the "display" option to VirtIO-GPU with a default of 256mb of video ram proxmox complains about missing libraries "virtio-gl" and "libegl1".

Installing them in proxmox and starting up the Windows 11 VM makes a huge improvement in video performance, before with the default video adapter it ran ok but the Windows courser would always trail the courser that is controlled by me but now there is zero trailing at all.

Very nice improvement.

Plus more resolution options.

Edit: Sound works great now in the VM no crackling like before.

Edit2:  Video has a weird vertical tearing, not sure whats going on with that. Sound is not as good as listening directly from my pc, but its defiantly ok. Windows 11 works great now so I no longer plan on running Windows 10 in a VM unless I have something that requires it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
So far Window 11 works pretty good overall and is very usable, no gaming since I have zero intentions to mess with GPu pass-through anytime soon.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my CPU’s installed.

It gave a 50% increase in single core performance over the old CPU’s.

I had a horrible time tracking down the USB device causing me to not get an IP after the upgrade.

Next time I’ll reboot the server before upgrading to make sure it boots right. I forgot I added the camera to the KVM last week. It worked fine in the VM but UnRAID doesn’t like booting with it plugged in for some reason.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had a horrible time tracking down the USB device causing me to not get an IP after the upgrade.

Next time I’ll reboot the server before upgrading to make sure it boots right. I forgot I added the camera to the KVM last week. It worked fine in the VM but UnRAID doesn’t like booting with it plugged in for some reason.

https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/qKAQwaJgP9Dx7kQ/preview
https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/R3exrwai7mCsz7a/preview
View Quote

Sweet !

My main pc before this Ryzen 3700X pc was a dual E5-2667 V3 cpu workstation.

Really like it, now I wish I did not sell that motherboard because the V3 xeons are much cheaper now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sweet !

Really like it, now I with I did not sell that motherboard because the V3 xeons are much cheaper now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/qKAQwaJgP9Dx7kQ/preview
https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/R3exrwai7mCsz7a/preview

Sweet !

Really like it, now I with I did not sell that motherboard because the V3 xeons are much cheaper now.

I’m contemplating just buying another motherboard to put in my empty Supermicro CSE836 and putting the E5-2630L V2’s in it for my backup server.

I could look into a V3 motherboard too.

I really wanted to build a Threadripper Pro system but that’s going to be crazy expensive and they’re all 280w TDP processors which is also nuts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’m contemplating just buying another motherboard to put in my empty Supermicro CSE836 and putting the E5-2630L V2’s in it for my backup server.

I could look into a V3 motherboard too.

I really wanted to build a Threadripper Pro system but that’s going to be crazy expensive and they’re all 280w TDP processors which is also nuts.
View Quote

I'm looking at a dual socket 3647 board.

Would really prefer a epyc system but they are pricey.

First gen Xeon 3647 cpu's are getting cheaper, much cheaper than first gen epyc cpus.

I have had best luck using new boards with used cpu's and used ram.

I have  used a couple of used boards before but always had issues.

The dual Xeon V3/4 AsrockRack  board I had worked with both ES and QS cpu's and from what I see their socket 3647 boards also do with the first bios.

I might just pick up a new 3647 board and the cheapest cpu's I can find for now and then upgrade to the higher end ones as they drop in price substantially in the future.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I just deleted the Ubuntu 20.04 server "Fileserver" vm because the transfer speeds would drop off substantially after a few minutes.

Also the same issue with 22.04.

There are reports about that on the internet and I tried all the "fixes" I could find on google but nothing helped.

So I went back to an older version of Ubuntu server, ran ver 16.04.5 the last time but downloaded ver 16.04.7 and installed it.

Working fine so far with no speed drop off yet.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Been having a "pve kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged" error showing up a bunch of times but without mcelog showing what the error is.

Easy test is to swap out all the ram to see if the error comes back, plus I can make sure all the slots are ok.

Pretty green slower ram.

I have a lot of those sticks of ram, ALOT.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#11]
No more mce errors!!

Now i'll swap one stick at a time to see which of the original sticks are bad.

But first I am letting the VM's update.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Turns out the mce error was ram, there was a tiny piece of clear tape over a couple of the ram contacts on one stick of ram.

Been running great with no more errors with the faster ram back in.

I ended up installing the 6tb drive with the most hours into my main pc to replace the 3TB WD red drive that originally came out of my WD MyCloud nas.

The 3 TB drive has 57,000 hours on it and started to have issues, after about fifteen seconds copying or writing to it slows down to a crawl.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top