Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2017 10:45:14 PM EDT
Just got our new laptop up and running.  Have a few questions gents

1) best (cheapest) source for Microsoft Office?  Needing at least Word and Excel.

2) which freeware anti-spy and anti-virus to run?  From where to download?

3)best way to move files from old laptop (still up and running) onto new laptop?  We have an external hard drive.  Should we just do it manually using that device?

4)this has Microsoft Windows 10 I believe.  Isn't there something to do or turn off???  I recall reading this several months back.

Any other pro tips would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys.  I know these may be rookie questions.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
1: Email me

2: I use Windows Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes - manually run it every month or when you suspect issues. This has worked well for me and does not use up many resources. 

3: I would back everything up to a HDD and only transfer needed files keeping the HDD as a backup

4: You can turn off many services and features, but Win10 is very efficient and the risk of disabling needed services outweigh the <1% CPU usage you may gain. For privacy concerns you can use Spybot Anti-Beacon or other free anti-Spying tools.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Sophos Home, central management and free up to 10 devices, including mobile phones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top