Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 11:47:13 PM EDT
Each room of the house has a RJ45 outlet.  The photo below is of the control box where all the cat5 cable comes in.  Can anyone tell me how to hook up my internet modem to the system so I have Ethernet in the house?

EDIT 09-21-2017 11:00 AM EDT

I figured it out!  After reading everyone's comments here, I looked behind one of the jacks in the room.  You were all right.  The white CAT5 cables in the photo are indeed for the telephone.  They split the CAT5 (8) wires between two phone jacks.  The extra lines in the cable are probably being used for the security system also.  On the far right side of the panel (outside of the photo) are a group of blue CAT5 cables.  These are the cables attached to the RJ45 jack in the wall outlets.  So, it seems I need to get some tools, add RJ45 connectors to the blue cables, and buy a box to connect the blue wires to.

One responder suggested to buy On-Q 363486-01 8-Port Network Interface Module.  I think that, or something similar will be my next move.  I want to get the hard wired system running for two reasons.  One, my Roku box seems to be having problems keeping a constant connection with my wireless system.  The other, I want to buy a security camera system and have it hard wired to the internet.

I want to thank everyone for their help.  I know it is hard to diagnose a problem over the internet with just a photo.  There is no way I could have figured this out myself.

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
While it might be Ethernet cable and you may have Ethernet jacks at the terminations.  That panel looks to be strictly phone.  You would have to pull the wire off the panel and either reinstall on a panel with Ethernet ports that then were tied into a switch or put Ethernet connectors on the wires directly and then plug them into a switch. I would also have to presume your jacks are wired in a telco configuration and not Ethernet and would likely need re-terminated in an Ethernet configuration.

This thread appears to have several examples of the type of termination required........
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1446324-how-does-pre-wired-ethernet-work.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#2]
If that system is not in use and you just want to repurpose the existing wiring, you'd have to cut those plugs off the wires and put on RJ45 plugs, and get an ethernet switch or router installed there instead of that device. You would need some plugs and a crimp tool.

You would also need to check the plugs in the rooms to make sure they are wired correctly for ethernet. It's likely they would have to be redone also.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While it might be Ethernet cable and you may have Ethernet jacks at the terminations.  That panel looks to be strictly phone.  You would have to pull the wire off the panel and either reinstall on a panel with Ethernet ports that then were tied into a switch or put Ethernet connectors on the wires directly and then plug them into a switch.

This thread appears to have several examples of the type of termination required........
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1446324-how-does-pre-wired-ethernet-work.html
View Quote
I agree it looks Telco. However the wire pairs look right for Ethernet. Simple test? Plug a router into the jack labeled out. Plug a PC into one of the jacks around the house. If you get an IP then that's all there is to it. 

Eta
Amazon Product
  • Supports up to four incoming telephone lines and distributes up to six telephone outlets with available Expansion for increased capacity.
  • Features cable pair isolation and testing capability for hassle-free installations.
  • Easy, high-quality cable termination on 110-style blocks.

That appears to be what you have. I'm guessing that picture is at or near your alarm panel. Guessing it's all strictly Telco. You can keep the wire runs and just reterminate for Ethernet. Swap out the telco module with a network one. Plug router/switch in and go. Though you would then need to get a Telco line to the security panel. 

Same maker network module. 
Amazon Product
  • High-speed Cat 5e termination point for digital data services
  • RJ45 jumpers sold separately
  • Provides connectivity for computers

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I agree it looks Telco. However the wire pairs look right for Ethernet. Simple test? Plug a router into the jack labeled out. Plug a PC into one of the jacks around the house. If you get an IP then that's all there is to it. 
View Quote
Not if the desired result is Ethernet throughout the house.  A switch would be required.  You edited your post after I replied OP see above post.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a telephone distribution block.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not if the desired result is Ethernet throughout the house.  A switch would be required.  You edited your post after I replied OP see above post.
View Quote
Yep I was a bit quick on the draw. At least the OP doesn't have to worry about pulling cable. The rest is cake in comparison. 
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:00:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm lost here.

The wires going into the top panel (the one that everyone says is a telecom panel) are marked CAT5e.  Each is made up of (8) small wires.  The very bottom panel in the photo has a bunch of lines running to it that look like phone lines.  The phone line that goes into the upper panel comes from the bottom panel.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#8]
It's Cat-5 wire used for Telecom. The box that is there on the wall that the wire is connected to is a telecom box as linked above.

If you want to use that wire for ethernet, you have to put new connectors on it that are configured correctly for ethernet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
But then what is running to the phone jack in each room?  Are the CAT5e lines set up to get their info over the phone line?

Each room has a outlet with two phone jacks, one RJ54, and one television cable.

There is also a picture with a 110 punch down diagram for wiring sequence.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy this
keystones

Then maybe this. (If you can't terminate to keystones)
crimper kit

And if you have a gang box in that closet, this.
keystone wallplate

Depending on how many wires you have laying there you'll need something like this.

Ethernet switch

Get rid of that Telecom box. Either crimp new connectors or set the wires in the keystones. Connect your cable modem/whatever modem that has an Ethernet jack running out of it and pop it into the Ethernet switch. Connect Ethernet switch to now terminated Ethernet cables.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Remove block in the room that serves as the distribution source.  (If they are marked in any manner, note markings to match rooms...it will make identification easier and you won't have to trace anything out.)

Pull plates in each room.  Take a picture of one of the wiring scheme and the keystone jack so we can see how it's wired (568A, 568B, etc.)  Depending on how they are wired, you may have to repunch and/or replace those blocks.

Put a cheap patch panel in the 'distribution room' and punch down the Cat5 you removed from the old blocks to the patch panel matching the keystones in each room.  In the end, for example, you'll have 568B in the closet and 568B at each wall plate.

Buy a gigabit switch with the appropriate number of ports.  Buy said number of 3ft patch cables.  Plug one end of each patch cable into the port on the patch panel, other end into the switch.  Run patch cable from switch to router.  Beer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But then what is running to the phone jack in each room?  Are the CAT5e lines set up to get their info over the phone line?

Each room has a outlet with two phone jacks, one RJ54, and one television cable.

There is also a picture with a 110 punch down diagram for wiring sequence.
View Quote
It appears that it was wired for a fance phone system , with integrated intercom and security system interfaces.
The wire could still be used, but with modification. At today's prices and speeds,  it would be cheaper to through a good wireless router in there
and service the house that way. They you wouldn't be limited to having an end point at a certain place in the room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top