Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2017 8:49:38 AM EDT
I am in the early stages of converting from a Linksys EA9200 wireless router to dedicated networking gear since I've upgraded my Internet from AT&T's 24 Mbps to Wow's 500 Mbps. I'm looking for some input into my basic network design and a little bit of a sanity check. I was planning a basic Edgrouter, Edgeswitch, and UAP AC Pro setup, but I'm starting to drool over other Ubiquiti hardware. For background, I'm a computer engineer, but have zero Ethernet networking background so I recognize a lot of the terms, but am basically a network noobie that wants to learn.

I currently have an Arris Surfboard SB6190 modem, Edgerouter Lite and a UAP AC Pro. My next purchase was going to be a 24-port Edgeswitch Lite to hardwire some devices in my house, but I'm starting to fall for the Unifi line and the Unifi controller. I had planned to expand later to a 16-port Edgeswitch POE switch to host cameras and the UAP.

So I guess it boils down to this:
Should I continue on the EdgeMax series and flesh out my network with a 24-port Edgeswitch Lite and then a 16-port Edgeswitch?

or...

Should I move to the full Unifi line and purchase a Unifi Security Gateway, a 24-port Unifi Switch, a 16-port Unifi Switch POE, and maybe some Unifi In-Wall APs and Unifi Mesh APs for the backyard?

Also, a side question...since the Edgerouter Lite and USG both do not support LAN port bridging through hardware, is it best to simply daisy chain my switches and maybe use aggregation to provide a 2 Gbps uplink?

Thanks, let's have some discussion and ask questions about Ubiquiti gear.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you like the GUI for managing the UniFi access point?  If so, then why not stay in the UniFi line and get a USG and UniFi Switch?  I have three of their APs in my home, a USG and will be adding their switch later.  More and more management of the devices is being moved to the UniFi controller making everything easy to manage.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you like the GUI for managing the UniFi access point?  If so, then why not stay in the UniFi line and get a USG and UniFi Switch?  I have three of their APs in my home, a USG and will be adding their switch later.  More and more management of the devices is being moved to the UniFi controller making everything easy to manage.
View Quote
For the basic setup that I've done, but the EdgeOS and the Unifi Controller have been easy to use. My controller was having issues updating the AP firmware so I had to SSH in and force the update manually by pointing it to the file on my computer. Other than that, both systems have worked well. I do like how the Unifi Controller seems to be gaining features and access to more settings. I also like the data reporting features the Unifi controller supports. I just bought a Cloud Key and have yet to set it up, but I'm starting to lean toward the Unifi complete set up.

From what I understand, the EdgeMax line offers more customization if you're willing to dive into the CLI, but I'm not looking to set up a network and manage every little detail. I want a faster, more reliable network that provide more insight as to what is happening on it and gives me more control should I want to dive deeper. I'm not looking to set up an enterprise level network.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#3]
For home use, KISS. Stay in the Unify line.

Non tech types tend to struggle a bit with Ubiquiti home setups (the UI isn't as intuitive compared to Linksys, Asus, etc.) but with your background, you'll find everything you need to know on Ubiquiti's support forums. 

My setup consists of an ERPOE-5 router , Cloud Key and AP-AC-Pro access points. After years of having to periodically tweak my home network, it is nice to finally have a true "set it and forget it" solution up and running. House guests always comment on how well wireless works at my home.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For the basic setup that I've done, but the EdgeOS and the Unifi Controller have been easy to use. My controller was having issues updating the AP firmware so I had to SSH in and force the update manually by pointing it to the file on my computer. Other than that, both systems have worked well. I do like how the Unifi Controller seems to be gaining features and access to more settings. I also like the data reporting features the Unifi controller supports. I just bought a Cloud Key and have yet to set it up, but I'm starting to lean toward the Unifi complete set up.

From what I understand, the EdgeMax line offers more customization if you're willing to dive into the CLI, but I'm not looking to set up a network and manage every little detail. I want a faster, more reliable network that provide more insight as to what is happening on it and gives me more control should I want to dive deeper. I'm not looking to set up an enterprise level network.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you need the remote ability to access the controller in the cloud, I'd skip the cloud key and run the controller locally.  I have two cloud keys for customers and both of them are flaky.  It's the only Unifi product that Im not completely 100% on.  Perhaps just a bad batch as both of them were purchased very close together.

Both of them seem to lose connectivity with the cloud routinely--yet remain accessible via the LAN.  One of them I had to rebuild the database from SSH twice.   One was due to a power issue which corrupted the database and the key would not start.  If you do use it, make sure it's UPSed.   They also seem to have issues taking updates; both the cloud key firmware update and the cloud key controller update.  It seems like a gamble whether the update(s) will apply correctly whereas with the switches, APs, and other unifi gear, updates are always bulletproof.

I only use them now if it's a customer site that I have zero remote access to but still need to maintain their wireless/wired infrastructure-which is a rarity.

The POE switches are champs.  At one customer site I have 20 AP Pros and 3 switches feeding them.  The switches needed to be fanless because of the environment.  It's a rubber manufacturing plant and fanned switches won't last a month in that place because of the rubber powder (worse than a powder coating facility I do work in.)  In the summer, it easily hits 120+F on the floor and those little switches just keep on truckin'.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am in the early stages of converting from a Linksys EA9200 wireless router to dedicated networking gear since I've upgraded my Internet from AT&T's 24 Mbps to Wow's 500 Mbps. I'm looking for some input into my basic network design and a little bit of a sanity check. I was planning a basic Edgrouter, Edgeswitch, and UAP AC Pro setup, but I'm starting to drool over other Ubiquiti hardware. For background, I'm a computer engineer, but have zero Ethernet networking background so I recognize a lot of the terms, but am basically a network noobie that wants to learn.

I currently have an Arris Surfboard SB6190 modem, Edgerouter Lite and a UAP AC Pro. My next purchase was going to be a 24-port Edgeswitch Lite to hardwire some devices in my house, but I'm starting to fall for the Unifi line and the Unifi controller. I had planned to expand later to a 16-port Edgeswitch POE switch to host cameras and the UAP.

So I guess it boils down to this:
Should I continue on the EdgeMax series and flesh out my network with a 24-port Edgeswitch Lite and then a 16-port Edgeswitch?

or...

Should I move to the full Unifi line and purchase a Unifi Security Gateway, a 24-port Unifi Switch, a 16-port Unifi Switch POE, and maybe some Unifi In-Wall APs and Unifi Mesh APs for the backyard?

Also, a side question...since the Edgerouter Lite and USG both do not support LAN port bridging through hardware, is it best to simply daisy chain my switches and maybe use aggregation to provide a 2 Gbps uplink?

Thanks, let's have some discussion and ask questions about Ubiquiti gear.
View Quote
This.   I have a full UniFi home set up (USG Pro, two 24 port switches (one PoE, other not), Cloud Key controller and 4 AP-AC-Pro's).  I can't say enough good things about the setup.  Great stats and visibility into whats going on, updates and all the features I need/want for a rock solid home network.  Supposedly the hardware is the same underneath, but they are moving more and more functions to the GUI.  You can still access the CLI if you want and manually config a file to make changes permanent.  I've not done that part yet, but its well documented.  

I'm pretty much a self taught home network guy, but I'm happy to answer questions and I know we have some experts here too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Go for the whole UNIFI setup.
Edit: I know crap about networking.

My setup. Cable modem >Edgerouter X >unifi 16port poe switch 250w (cloud key) >1 LR UAP / 1 UAP (BOTH ONLY 2.4).

I started my setup in April of 2016. Just tired of the consumer crap. No research or planning.
I ran cat5e, multiple runs to each room, to this spring.
I haven't had any problem, since I set it up, that I haven't caused myself.
But
I should have spent a little more.
Bought the USG, a UAP-AC, a smaller poe switch, a bigger non-poe switch.

You can fill up a switch fast! I still need ports in the garage and outside for a Mesh AP. Might just put a Mesh AP outside and 1 in the garage.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't mean to co-op the OP's thread, but it seemed idle and I have an Ubiquiti question.

Is everything in their line ethernet-tied, primarily POE APs and/or repeaters?  I would love to extend the range of my 5GHz and get more devices off the 2.4Ghz band, but I don't have the ability to run any new cable and don't have any Cat cable of any type currently run.

I find their website design to be confusing at best.

ETA - I currently have a Linksys EA9200 sitting on a 50 down/30 up line w/Comcast Business
View Quote
Not 100% I understand your question completely, but they offer a couple of options that I think will help you.  First is that you can run the AP's in a wireless uplink mode, but would still need to power the AP via the included PoE injector (I have the UAC-AC-Pro's).  I don't know much beyond that since my AP's are all wired, but that would give you 2.4 and 5 ghz "repeater" style AP's.  I'm sure someone here or on the UniFi forums can give you more details.   Second, they offer mesh AP's now for UniFi as well as a standalone mesh system.

ETA: I looked in my controller options and the first option I mentioned is called "wireless uplink".  Here is a link to a full article on it via Unifi forums.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
The USG doesn't work with my cable modem.

The Hitron modem doesn't have an option for bridge or pass through mode.

Spent the better part of yesterday and this morning trying to figure it out.

Sad!
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a cloud key, 8 port 60w switch, ac pro, and usg on the way. I got tired of messing with ddwrt and openwrt and then dealing with all the undocumented problems that entails.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top