Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 8:11:35 PM EDT
I am buying a Dell 17" laptop.  Iam thinking about getting office 365.   I have some questions.

1.  If you buy the program outright instead of the subscription will microsoft do security updates to it?
2.  With the subscription how often is it it update?  For that matter how often is Window 10 updated?

My tinfoil hat maybe a little tight for the next question.
When office 365 updates, does it send  s copy of your word , excel etc. to microsoft?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Just use Open Office, it's free and supported.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just use Open Office, it's free and supported.
View Quote
Will it recognize existing word files?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Forget OpenOffice (a.k.a. StarOffice/OracleOffice) and go with LibreOffice.  Awesome office app.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The Google suite is the only way to go. Free and you have your documents everywhere!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, MS will update all versions of Office.  The updates are very frequent -- often every day.  No big deal and you can just bypass them if you want to run them at a different interval, but it's best to just let it update.

No, none of your documents are sent to MS.  

No, LibreOffice and Google Suite are not in any way replacements for Office.  It simply doesn't work that way.  That's like saying notepad is a replacement for Word -- sure, if all you need is to dump a few words of text on the screen it's fine.  If you need correct and proper formatting and interchangeable formats between the rest of the planet, you buy office.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, MS will update all versions of Office.  The updates are very frequent -- often every day.  No big deal and you can just bypass them if you want to run them at a different interval, but it's best to just let it update.

No, LibreOffice and Google Suite are not in any way replacements for Office.  It simply doesn't work that way.  That's like saying notepad is a replacement for Word -- sure, if all you need is to dump a few words of text on the screen it's fine.  If you need correct and proper formatting and interchangeable formats between the rest of the planet, you buy office.
View Quote
Have you even used LibreOffice?  I dont have any issues sharing or reading ms office files.

Notepad replacement for word?  Apples and oranges...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you even used LibreOffice?  I dont have any issues sharing or reading ms office files.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used all of them back to star office.

They're not ms compatible to a degree that makes them useful for anything other the the bare basics, notepad like text.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The new laptop came today.  When I finally got to the box that the laptop was in I could hear what sounded like gravel in the box.   When I opened the box I found the packet of silicon gel bb's was open and All the B's had fallen in to the box with the laptop in it.  The bbs were every where.  When I pulled the foam bag the laptop was in I watched real close there were no bb's in the bag or on the lap top.  I hope none of the bbs got into the laptop.  After it charges for a while I will look at it closer and make sure there are no bbs anywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top