Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2017 9:55:50 PM EDT
I would like to learn to build my own PC for gaming, photo and video editing.  I also need to improve my understanding of windows, Linux and basic networking management for home/small commercial user.
Any advice on educational resources?  I search occasionally on Google for specific issues but I'd like to find a more organized approach to fill in my gaps.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Youtube.com.

Other than that, I find that being interested in solving a particular problem is an easier tactic than just "learn about XYZ" type learning.

Find yourself an easy web host, an set up a site. Then, get a linux distro and play with it.  Use google and youtube to solve small, specific problems.

As an IT guy. I get up, go to work, and plan on learning something new all day every day.  People that don't, aren't IT.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Look into A+ and Network+ certifications.

Those will tell you enough to dip your two in hardware & networking to see if you want to pursue further.  And also teach you enough to pass certifications that could help land you a job.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a number of free classes on Linux and tons of open source projects.

Volunteer on a project or company to get some otj experience.

Cisco also has a bunch of classes and labs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice.   I've taken A+ prep course and they showed us how to take apart a computer and rebuild it and run simulated os to test out programs.
I'm a little leery about sinking money into a custom build with all the new stuff out there and whether this video card is compatible with that mother board and are you getting a bottleneck with what ever lol
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look into A+ and Network+ certifications.

Those will tell you enough to dip your two in hardware & networking to see if you want to pursue further.  And also teach you enough to pass certifications that could help land you a job.
View Quote
My job is beginning to migrate towards requiring sec + certs.  I got the book and found out I really was not advanced enough so I backed up and got the network +.  However its a lot to take in.  I definitely want to gain the skills though.  Some of my coworkers have taken the certs with outstanding memory skills but now can't tell me the first thing on the subject in a practical setting.  On the other hand some of the younger guys with no certs but did lots of tech stuff has a hobby do the actual work.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
its plug and play.like putting legos together

tomshardware will help you, they helped real nice. dont buy those "prebuilt" ones, they have garbage components*yes i know some are nice, but you can build a much better 1
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
The single thing that has gotten me the furthest is troubleshooting.  And this isn't because you eventually solve the problem.  It's because you realize that what you're trying to do doesn't make any sense in the first place, and you understand why.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.   I've taken A+ prep course and they showed us how to take apart a computer and rebuild it and run simulated os to test out programs.
I'm a little leery about sinking money into a custom build with all the new stuff out there and whether this video card is compatible with that mother board and are you getting a bottleneck with what ever lol
View Quote
As far as compatibility this site should help.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

The rest of it you just have to learn.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Hardware is dirt cheap on eBay.  I learned a lot when studying for the ccna, but I learned the most from buying gear off of eBay and playing with it.  

My favorite project was the PSTN simulator I built using a Cisco 2821.  I still remember my biggest issue when setting it up-   I used Audacity to cut out 15 second segments of different songs to use for various types of calls (local, long distance, 900, 800, international, 411, 911, etc).  When a number was dialed it would play back the corresponding song so I knew I had all the call routing done properly.  When I first set it up it didn't work.  When I ran debugging, I was getting an error message about some issue with the channels.  So naturally I think it's a problem with the VWIC configuration.  I spent literally hours pulling my hair out trying to find the problem.  And you know what it ended up being?  The audio files were in stereo and the Cisco 2821 could only do mono.  Fuck me, I was so mad, but it's kinda funny looking back on it.  I learned a lot that day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I spent literally hours pulling my hair out trying to find the problem.  And you know what it ended up being?  The audio files were in stereo and the Cisco 2821 could only do mono.  Fuck me, I was so mad, but it's kinda funny looking back on it.  I learned a lot that day.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#12]
you laugh, but those of us who worked on old ass TDM boxes all learned that hard hard lesson.

Quoted:
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top