Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2017 2:54:51 PM EDT
Gonna build a Threadripper, seems like I'm gonna wait forever to get an AMD specific 64 GB memory set for the thing, like 64 GB G.Skill Flare-X... think I will just pull the trigger.  There is some fast Trident-Z mem in stock I can get.  Could really use the extra horsepower now rather than wait.

Soo, if I understand XMS correctly, it's just an alternate profile stored on a chip in the modules for easy setup for the factory overclocked speeds.  If I go in and set it all manually - speed, timings, CAS Latency, and voltage the end result is the same?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Gonna build a Threadripper, seems like I'm gonna wait forever to get an AMD specific 64 GB memory set for the thing, like 64 GB G.Skill Flare-X... think I will just pull the trigger.  There is some fast Trident-Z mem in stock I can get.  Could really use the extra horsepower now rather than wait.

Soo, if I understand XMS correctly, it's just an alternate profile stored on a chip in the modules for easy setup for the factory overclocked speeds.  If I go in and set it all manually - speed, timings, CAS Latency, and voltage the end result is the same?
View Quote

Correct. With xms at least you know the memory is certified to run at those settings/timings. You can run the profile or set it yourself manually if your motherboard provides you with all the settings to modify
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top