Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2017 4:38:39 PM EDT
My mid 2010 mbp is showing signs it's ready for the boneyard.  The capacitor on the gpu has failed, I'm getting a series of beeps that says memory is failing (I have 8gb of aftermarket mem in it).  I think the current os/x is about the latest that will support it.  It has a 500gb ssd, a new battery, and a new charger.  Even with all that it's only good for about an hour fully charged.

Wondering about an MacBook air to replace it.  Its mostly used for browsing these days, I don't think I need the pro anymore.  I do run w10 on parallels because I have one app that requires windows.  Its a shoot management piece of software that I only use 3x a year - I don't want to migrate back to windows for one pos app that I have to have.

My primary computer is an iMac.  Just as soon stay in os/x world.

What does my old mbp do a newer air won't do?

I like my 15" screen.  A bit nervous about a 13" screen, but other than that what am I losing?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can get one cheap enough, the Air is an ok machine.  Not a powerhouse by any means, but it's light.  The screen sucks compared to a Retina machine, but you would still have USB3 ports and no dongles/adapters to mess with.

For the difference, I'd probably pay the extra $100 on a refurb Pro.  It's newer,faster and will last longer.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been using an 11 Air for my laptop for few years now. It is a great laptop for me because I just want portability. Screen real estate is fine for most on the go Info Sec work.

Obviously, if I use it at my desk, I just plug in to an external display, but I just use my desktop for when I'm at my desk.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks.  will ponder.

Trying to run os/x and W10 in a VM the 128 gb pcie is pretty minimal.  Like to stay at 512 gb if I can.

I have to take the time and pull mine apart and see if it is the memory or something else.  It gets really hot, I'm afraid I've cooked something in there.

I replaced one of the fans a while ago - it was making noise, and cleaned the air vents.  But it runs hot.

It's days are still numbered whatever I do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Think it's doa.   Took it to Simply Mac, they can't even run diagnostics on it.

I know there is a capacitor on the logic board that fails on this generation of mbp's.   I have a replacement capacitor, not sure I have skills to solder something that small.  Might as well give it a try, nothing to lose at this point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top