Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 2:39:09 PM EDT
SO I think I want a new router for the house and I want/hope it can track individual device usage.

We are somewhat in the sticks, and on Satellite internet (Exede) with unlimited web browsing and 10gigs of actual data.  We've struggled for years with busting the data, girls on wifi on their phones (Social Media, Youtube), NO gaming, NO Netflix

Exede ability to track where the data goes is somewhat of a joke, other than computer usage, videos, etc

I'd like to find a router, and I only assume that its possible,  that can track each individual device and its data usage, Laptop, Ipad, several Iphones, maybe guests on guest account, this way I can hold someone to some accountability (well except me).  I'm not concerned about what sites everyone is one but who is hogging our data.  

Currently have a Linksys E1200 which looks like it can limit devices, times/hours of usage, and websites, but I dont think it tracks how much each devices uses.

I'm open to recommendations or suggestions for tracking data
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd recommend this one from Dewalt...

Attachment Attached File

Sorry... had to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
here is a nice article to get you started down this path

Its time to get a better router than what you can get at best buy

What I would get:
1. Router - Does not have wireless built in but much more powerful.
What I have - read about it here
how to set up bandwidth limits per device or group of users with that router

2. Switch cheap 5 port desktop gigabit switch
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Gigabit-Ethernet-Plastic-TL-SG1005D/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=zg_bs_281414_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=87B74FPQFDB4QK8T3MP7

3. Wireless Access Point. This is how to integrate wireless into your network.
Its rock solid and better than the wireless built into any combo router you will buy at best buy.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504830447&sr=8-1&keywords=access+point
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

...snip...
View Quote
Listen to this guy. Just bought very similar equipment (TP-Link access point instead), though haven't tackled usage setup.

On the bright side, your children will quickly learn useful hacking skills to avoid your data limits.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the suggestion to use Ubiquity Networks access point.  I also use their USG as my router and get all the features you're looking for.  It's more complicated to setup, so if you're not technical you might want something else.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i've not used one.  but what I've read the unifi security gateway does exactly what you are wanting
View Quote
The ubiquity gateway does do this, sorta.  I'm not 100% sure their reporting is spot on like you would get from a palo alto or other real firewall.  You can get stats on a per client basis and block clients completely.  It gets less organized when you try to produce a report that shows each client and it's internet usage over a period of time.  This is the $99 dollar USG.  For $99 bucks it does what i expect, their ap's and switches are very good but that function isn't what you are looking for.

it does NOT have a simple way to build white or blacklist (it can just a pita).   I just point out to opendns and use them as a basic internet security tool (more malware security shit than user control) .  Just adults here now no need to police traffic so I can't give you a better answer in the home based arena user access control and reporting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What I would get:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Gigabit-Ethernet-Plastic-TL-SG1005D/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=zg_bs_281414_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=87B74FPQFDB4QK8T3MP7

Its rock solid and better than the wireless built into any combo router you will buy at best buy.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504830447&sr=8-1&keywords=access+point
View Quote
Excellent advice.  I also have a total UniFi setup and I can't say enough good things about it.  It takes a little bit more effort and details to setup than your typical Linksys crappy Bestbuy device, but plenty of help at the UBNT forums as well as YouTube videos to step you through it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What I would get:

View Quote
So the first product is the "router" which the modem or whatever source of internet connects into correct? The switch is to plug extra connections into? If I only need wireless, can I skip the switch?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you been reading the Exede community? There's some pretty specific suggestions of routers to do exactly what you want to do. I'd ask questions there.

https://community.exede.com/exede
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So the first product is the "router" which the modem or whatever source of internet connects into correct? The switch is to plug extra connections into? If I only need wireless, can I skip the switch?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I would get:

Yes, the first device after the modem will be the "router".  Better name is really firewall (UniFi calls it the "Security Gateway" which is pretty accurate).  Depending on what brand/model you get you may or may not need a switch.  Depends on how many hardwired devices you want to connect.  I just set up a Unifi system for my dad and he went with 3 access points (2 on first floor, 1 in basement), 8 port switch for the 3 AP's, 2 more PC's and the Unifi Cloud Key (runs the controller/UI software).  That plus the smaller USG (Security Gateway) and you are good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top