Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2017 1:16:16 PM EDT
Any concerns with buying a phone with the following description?

featuring an unlocked bootloader and custom firmware with root access, running AOSP Android 7.1.2 Nougat. This phone is only a few weeks old, and in perfect condition.        
View Quote
Other than knowing what AOSP stands for it is all Greek to me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, just buy a regular non fucked with phone
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I love ASOP Andriod, but as far as buying a phone someone else has been screwing with, that's another story.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's rooted and you're worried about it, simply reflash with TWRP and a new ROM and you're good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's rooted and you're worried about it, simply reflash with TWRP and a new ROM and you're good.
View Quote
So you are saying even if they boogerd something, it can be undone as long as it wasn't bricked?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So you are saying even if they boogerd something, it can be undone as long as it wasn't bricked?
View Quote
Yes. With most Android phones, you can re-flash the recovery partition and the system ROM partition, which erases anything that was previously there.

I suppose a very sophisticated adversary could plant malware in the firmware of the device, but that's far beyond someone simply selling a rooted phone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top