Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2017 9:05:24 AM EDT
I like OpenVPN and it works very well for my needs but I also need it to support No-IP for my domain.  I don't want WiFi on the router and want something that is fairly easy to configure.  How bad of an idea is it so use L2TP VPN instead of something else security wise as I am not a VPN expert?

I am not an expert and don't know CLI at all (I could learn though if I had to at some point).

Dual WAN isn't really needed but being able to set up multiple subnets would be nice.  
So far I am looking at a couple of options (ranked in order):

1) Cisco RV325 as it comes with OpenVPN and the interface is simple to use.  It also meets all of my requirements it appears.
2) Ubiquity EdgeRouter ER-8 but it looks like setting up OpenVPN is quite a bit more involved.
3) pfSense option of some kind?

I am trying to stay around $300 and if there is a good source for lightly used options that would work too as long as they weren't beat to shit and about to die.

I currently have a Cisco SG250-26P as my main switch and a Netgear GS510TP as the switch that is going into my shop when the fiber run is completed (I am getting a quote on that today).

ETA: Would pfSense meet my needs as it looks like it could.  I am a little confused on where to begin with it though.  I'd still like a rackmount option if possible but is there a tutorial anywhere on what is involved with it as it looks like it can be installed on anything?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the market for the exact same thing + a docsis 3 port or expansion slot.   And it must work with Comcast and Frontier

Does the openVPN protocol allow for ipv6 and dns leak protection?  I'm currently using pia client software that handles those issues.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The SG-4860 1U looks like it would be a great choice...thanks!!

I did wind up grabbing a brand new RV325 for $150 so I will run it for now but will look more into the pfSense options too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top