Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2017 1:41:12 PM EDT
I am in need of some guidance.

Until now I have only had to manage my nix based systems and haven't had to venture into the windows world much. What I need to do now however is build a system image for windows with preinstalled software. I have plenty of setup scripts and dd images for this kinda thing on linux but want to do this legitimately in windows.

1) How does the licensing work? I have a need for about 12 computers to all have the same setup. Windows 10 pro with software specific to the job and some networking settings.

2) What software is out there for this? The systems will be different hardware mostly tough books but some think pads and even macs using bootcamp. Acronis keeps coming up.

3) What if one of the computers is damaged and the image needs to be moved to another computer, but the total number stays the same.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
so it has been a while since I did this, windows 7 and earlier.

But depending on how different each machine is it takes a bit of doing.
The older ones you could add the necessary drivers, but since 7 it started including a lot of drivers.

The only real issue is the boot up. IDE, vs SATA vs SSD's, laptop vs desktop sometimes causes boot issues.

I used to buy them in batches and sometimes windows was stuipid and didn't realize it was a different machine and let it run.
Worst case you have to enter a license key again to get it to register.
Worst case for that is having to call and read off the key and have them read back the key to regsiter.

They usually don't care as long as you have a valid license that didn't come from the internet.
A lot of mine were msdn licenses instead.

Sorry that might have been a bit disjointed.

If the machines are close, but you have say a different video card or different ethernet card you can just add the drivers into the image before blowing it onto another machine.
worst case you have to do the internet register again and put in the different key.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top