Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/4/2003 7:03:47 AM EDT
Ive got a copy of Linux Mandrake 9.0 and Im currently running Win 2K Pro. Id like to have them duel boot on this machine, but the only way I know how to do it is to install Linux first and then Windows. If I do that I lose all the stuff on my computer on the Windows partition and get to start all over again, is there a way to do it without having to reload Windows?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:24:35 AM EDT
Duel booting? So you're going to have them fight? [:)] Just create two partitions, and you'll almost always be ok. There aren't too many versions of Windows that will clobber a partition that it doesn't own. If you can find a nondestructive partitioning program, like Partition Magic, you can reduce the size of your current Windows partition, create a new partition from the newly created empty space, then install Linux into the new partition without losing any data. It does work well. I haven't done it in years, so I'm sure someone else can provide more help. Also, you might want to consider adding a second drive to put Linux on. For the price of Partition Magic, you can buy a hard drive.z
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:24:12 AM EDT
I installed Redhat 8 on a second hard drive on my XP Pro machine without any problems. The problem came about when I uninstalled it and the windows MBR was left with GRUB on it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:56:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Offspring: I installed Redhat 8 on a second hard drive on my XP Pro machine without any problems. The problem came about when I uninstalled it and the windows MBR was left with GRUB on it.
View Quote
fdisk /mbr will get rid of it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:27:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By zoom: Duel booting? So you're going to have them fight? [:)]
View Quote
Beat me to it. [;)]
There aren't too many versions of Windows that will clobber a partition that it doesn't own.
View Quote
I have had XP and W2k overwrite the boot sector of the drive, though, so if you install Linux first, you'll have to re-install LILO or Grub after installing Windoze. Since you're installing Linux 2nd, MadProfessor, it should be fine. Like zoom says, just use partition magic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:54:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2003 10:56:51 AM EDT by Methos]
Originally Posted By XM777:
Originally Posted By Offspring: I installed Redhat 8 on a second hard drive on my XP Pro machine without any problems. The problem came about when I uninstalled it and the windows MBR was left with GRUB on it.
View Quote
fdisk /mbr will get rid of it.
View Quote
Linux or DOS fdisk? I ran into the same thing when I got rid of Redhat 9 (ran slower than Windows and a PITA to get my NICs/hardware recognized). I deleted all partitions, made new ones using the DOS fdisk, and Grub was still on it. I finally got rid of Grub by using a W2K install disk to remove partitions and reformatted the entire drive in NTFS.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:04:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Methos:
Originally Posted By XM777: fdisk /mbr will get rid of it.
View Quote
Linux or DOS fdisk? I ran into the same thing when I got rid of Redhat 9 (ran slower than Windows and a PITA to get my NICs/hardware recognized). I deleted all partitions, made new ones using the DOS fdisk, and Grub was still on it. I finally got rid of Grub by using a W2K install disk to remove partitions and reformatted the entire drive in NTFS.
View Quote
DOS "fdisk /mbr" does the trick. There are actually two things stored in the boot sector of the hard disk: 1) Boot code that gets run by the BIOS to find and load the operating system. 2) Partition table (and a backup). fdisk normally only touches (2) to change the partition information. "fdisk /mbr" actually rewrites the boot code on the boot sector with a generic booting routing. LILO and Grub put their bootstrap code there, so the /mbr option will remove them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:15:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Methos: Linux or DOS fdisk?
View Quote
I use a Win98 boot disk just because that is what I usually have lying around.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:17:32 AM EDT
I tried the MBR repair, but whoever built my computer set the admin password and I had no clue what it was. Of course it was 2am when I was working on it and decided to "fix" it myself. Didn't lose any data and all works well now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:45:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Offspring: I tried the MBR repair, but whoever built my computer set the admin password and I had no clue what it was.
View Quote
Would not have mattered if you had the password or not. DOS or Win98 doesn't support NTFS security and can re-write the MBR at will.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:01:10 AM EDT
even with an XP machine?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:53:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:55:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Offspring: even with an XP machine?
View Quote
Doesn't matter whether it's NT, 2000, or XP. You are booting from the floppy disk to 98/DOS. I've personally done it on all three listed OS's to remove GRUB, Western Digital's EZ BIOS, and some nasty boot sector viruses. Worked like a charm every time [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:37:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By XM777: Western Digital's EZ BIOS, and some nasty boot sector viruses.
View Quote
In my experience, EZ BIOS [i]is[/i] a nasty boot sector virus. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:02:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fizassist: In my experience, EZ BIOS [i]is[/i] a nasty boot sector virus.
View Quote
LOL, going to have to agree with on that fizassist! Definitely creates more problems then it solves.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:20:54 AM EDT
cool, I will have to remember that next time I get the urge to set up Linux on my second drive. Now where did I put that 98 disc?
Top Top