Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 4:33:36 PM EDT
I'm using a Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5360 ADSL Ethernet Bridge (vulgo "DSL modem"), connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 (router), connected to the router is a couple of el cheapo hubs. Everything is working fine, the 'net is just zipping along (1.5 MB down, 128k up) until one user fires up Kazaa Lite. Now I already did limit the bandwidth available to that POS program, unchecked "work as supernode", limited the number of sim. up and downloads, unchecked "steal all bandwidth when computer is idle", and still, as soon as he fires the software up, all data transfer from and to other computers in the network slows down do a crawl.
Is there any way, besides the obvious (to vit, block kazaa) to improve that situation? Should I replace the hubs with switches? Or what?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a setup at work with Cox High Speed internet, Toshiba Modem with a Netgear 4 port Router hooked (wired) to a desktop (400 MHz Celeron Cheap O Computer). Hooked to the Netgear Router is a Linksys WAP11 wireless access point that I run my HP laptop on (P4 2.4, 512MB) that I run KazaaLite on.
We average 980-1028K down (on the speed tests) and I download frequently and the other computer does no show signs of slowdown.

I also have Cox Low Speed cable at home (128K up/down) with a Toshiba Modem Linksys Wireless Router/Access Point with a Compaq Desktop AMD Athlon 2200+ with a Linksys WUS wireless adapter and I frequently run KazaaLite on my laptop...(I am downloading some music now and have several peers uploading some music now.

I have noticed no slowdowns at home either.

I hope this helps to locate your problem.

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top