Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 5:36:18 PM EDT
On my home computer...

About every other time I turn it on the keyboard does not work.
I have to go to the device driver and uninstall it and then look for new hardware to be found. It works after that but then it might not the next time it comes on.

It is aggravating to say the least.

It is a Compaq system with an Athlon AMD 2200+ cpu running WinXP home. The keyboard is the stock Compaq PS/2 model # KB0113. I also had a problem with the mouse right after I got the system but it hasn't messed up in a week or more. I got the system on the 18th of April.

Any suggestions?

I was wondering if a good keyboard and good software driver might fix the problem?

I will wait until the brethren comes to my aid before doing anything major![BD]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Would this be a USB keyboard by chance?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
No the keyboard isn't...the mouse is though. I "Upgraded" the mouse to an IBM optical with wheel model.

I have a few aqaintances who hate USB stuff...but I have always had good service from them.[:|]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds like a hardware issue - hopefully not he mobo. i am assuming the obvious (the plug is fully seated, not damaged). i'd go to wal-mart and get a $5.00 ps/2 keyboard. if that works, take it back and tell compaq to send you a new keyboard, or get a REAL keyboard. (IBM mechanical 'clicky' keyboard).

does it work consistantly if you boot into dos mode, or 'safe' mode?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I will try to check it this evening and see.

Thanks,
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I actually found three of those, new in the box the other week.  I love them!

or get a REAL keyboard. (IBM mechanical 'clicky' keyboard).
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top