Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 10:44:30 PM EDT
My Sony 717 started behaving strangely today. The photos were coming almost "black and white" and with several very thin stripes across from top to bottom.

The last time I used the camera, about two weeks ago, it was working perfectly and it was stored in its case since then. No drops, shocks, moisture, etc.

Here's a sample:

Here's a photo I took two weeks ago:

The image in the LCD viewfinder is perfect and if I make movies the images also come fine. This shows the CCD should be OK.

I changed memory sticks, formatted them, reset the camera, took pictures in many different settings, etc. but the problem continues. The camera has a self-diagnosis software but it is not indicating any problem.

Anybody has any idea of what could be causing this? Never saw anything like this...

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:15:34 AM EDT
Time for a new camera I'd think. Or you might call Sony.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:37:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:

Well... if it comes to this one thing I'm sure: It will never be a Sony anymore. Camera is only 2 1/2 years old has no dings and always very well taken care of, so this is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:27:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rossi:

Originally Posted By RikWriter:

Well... if it comes to this one thing I'm sure: It will never be a Sony anymore. Camera is only 2 1/2 years old has no dings and always very well taken care of, so this is unacceptable.

Every maker can come up with a lemon. We are talking electronics and miniature computer chips here. You should call Sony and find out how much it would cost to fix. If you want a new camera after that, there are a hell of a lot of good ones out there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:37:29 PM EDT
If your review the images on the LCD screen how do they look?
If they review normal, but change like that when you transfer them, the problem isnt the camera
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:48:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uafgrad:
If your review the images on the LCD screen how do they look?
If they review normal, but change like that when you transfer them, the problem isnt the camera

The images also look like that if I review them in the LCD. It's really weird.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:54:04 PM EDT
I would call sony and seek their opinion. Historically they havent always been the best, but it doesnt hurt.

When you get a new one, step out of the point and shoot and into a DSLR. Pricewise you can get one of the Digital Rebels or D50/D70 combo kits for about what a new Sony rund.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:00:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By uafgrad:
I would call sony and seek their opinion. Historically they havent always been the best, but it doesnt hurt.

When you get a new one, step out of the point and shoot and into a DSLR. Pricewise you can get one of the Digital Rebels or D50/D70 combo kits for about what a new Sony rund.

Good luck

Thanks! I've been doing some more research and found this. Actually, it seems it affects several brands of cameras that use Sony's CCDs.

www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1128958202.html

And then at Sony found this...

eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/validation.do

It's a "time-bomb" waiting to go off.

Top Top