Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 2:34:59 AM EDT
So I needed to replace my politically-incorrect graphic in another thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=436608 so I tried creating a realistic ND pic.  I'm not really happy with how it turned out, though:

The shot is actually just a composite of two other shots with minor retouching in GIMP.  The first shot is me sitting exactly as you see there, with ketchup on the back on my hand (not very visible), patting the muzzle to form a motion blur.  They exposure was maybe 1/4sec, illuminated by a normal lamp.  The second shot was a burning trail of gunpowder in a darkened room.  I didn't tamper with the flame at all.  After combining the shots, I added a bit of red tissue midair, but I couldn't really get it to work out.

Since the shot is really just two real images, I'm fairly happy with the technical presentation; it just doesn't really look realistic.  But then I'm not exactly sure what something like this would look like.

Anyone else have any nice ND photoshops they've done?  I've seen some gunshot photoshops floating around on the net, but I can't find them now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#1]
tagged...this thread might get good!  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#2]
make something other than a straight face.

not like a agonizing screem face but a slight closing of the eyes and a "what the fuck is going on" look!

LOL
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
make something other than a straight face.

not like a agonizing screem face but a slight closing of the eyes and a "what the fuck is going on" look!

LOL

...but realistically would he have even had time to react?

Cool photoshop.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I didn't really think so.  However, it depends on exactly when (and for how long) the picture is snapped.  The purported circumstances of why the picture was taken is important here.

There are plenty of real pictures of the immediate aftereffects of ADs.  This isn't really that interesting.  To make the picture interesting, it has to be an action shot, capturing either muzzle flash or flying guts of some sort.

Incidentally, in well-lit conditions, most guns (including the one pictured) probably don't have enough muzzle flash to realistically be captured.  Also, even the most ridiculously huge muzzle flash isn't going to last longer than 20ms or so.  Compare this to the exposure time of the above shot, which is about ten times that.

It might make a more interesting (and technically difficult) shot by portraying the situation in low light, such as plinking at night.  Then there would be no issues about the visibility of the muzzle flash, and the muzzle flash itself (purportedly, at least) would be the major illumination.

On the other hand, it may not be too far-fetched for someone to have an interesting facial expression; sometimes people realize they have just initiated a stupid action, but don't have enough time or coordination to stop it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:42:18 AM EDT
[#6]
here comes all the technicalities

before you know it everyone is going to ask, "where is the other hand EXACTLY"

ok then, lets get technical...LIGHT!

light would have time, even if the barrel flash in this instance where "real".

The shadows would need to be changed...and to a complete moron it would look more realistic if you had the "what the fuck" kind of look.

I could go on for days but honestly i would take that to master this photochop!

maybe try blurring the face and gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:45:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incidentally, in well-lit conditions, most guns (including the one pictured) probably don't have enough muzzle flash to realistically be captured.  Also, even the most ridiculously huge muzzle flash isn't going to last longer than 20ms or so.  Compare this to the exposure time of the above shot, which is about ten times that.

This is a shot from an extremely bright day:

I have a bunch from that dat with big muzzle flash.

I think the unrealistic thing about the picture in question is that the whole pic would likely be overexposed by a few stops because of the muzzle flash
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top