Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 10:35:13 AM EDT
I've wondered this for years.

Watching the NGC program Africas Deadly Dozen.  It's about the poisonous snakes of Africa.

So my question is:  How do you guys get those shots?

NGC was showing some footage where it looked like the camera was about 1 foot off the ground, and following the snake - like the camera was about a foot behind the snakes head.

How do they do that without alerting the snake, and pissing it off?

Then there's all those old Walt Disney specials.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of willing amateur photographers willing to sacrifice.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
HA!

Gotta wonder who pays their insurance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Either a very long macro lens, or the camera is set on a robotic arm.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Either a very long macro lens, or the camera is set on a robotic arm.

It is usually done with a wide angle lens on a boom arm. With todays smaller professional quality cameras it's not too hard. The hardest part is finding a cooperative subject. Plan on spending a lot of time in the field for a minute of footage.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's some pix my brother took out at Lake Texahoma
(reduced size due to popular request...)

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I took this shot of a Mojave Green Rattle Snake with a 100-400 is lens.  It was at about 250mm at the time.  He was really pissed, but didn't feel threatened enough to strike.

The small size really screws with the detail, but you can see the "look in it's eye"...  

Eric A. Mayer  

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Video is often a mix of live and staged footage.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
a friends hawk!

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#11]
That particular shot you were asking about sounds like it was shot with a steadicam or a pole cam (small camera on a long pole).  Lots of wildlife filmmaking these days is with habituated animals or a combination of natural history and staged shots.  It's also common to reverse engineer a shot from a "money shot" to the events that might have led up to it.  Heck, even Cousteau staged shots.  The general standard is "if it could happen in a natural setting" for staging a shot.  Natural history film budgets have shrunk so much that more is staged these days.  Also, while we are well aware that certain types of activities take place (finding a prey animal in another animals stomach), the odds of actually filming it live may be pretty slim.  It's even tougher with underwater subjects.  I stage things all the time, things like sea urchins breeding, feeding behavior, unusual types of things like time-lapse and territorial fighting.  These are common events but does it happen when you happen to be in a tidepool with a housed movie camera and a couple of thousand watts of lighting?  Hate to bust any balloons but most of us are on a schedule and a budget and it's a business as much as anything else is...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top