Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/15/2006 2:18:23 AM EDT
Its time to replace my Sony 2.0MP no zoom having self for a decent digi cam. I would love to be able to swap lenses. But if I cant, I want a good zoom. I dont need alot of features, just good zoom, flash, preview LCD and pictures. Point, focus and click is all I need. But I do want a nice one.
Looking for something below $300-$400.....

Thanks in advacne.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:31:19 AM EDT
Anything but the Kodak Easyshare.
Figured Id save a few bucks, Shouldnt have bought it.

Fugi makes a nice digi
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:09:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WIgunnut:
Anything but the Kodak Easyshare.
Figured Id save a few bucks, Shouldnt have bought it.

Fugi makes a nice digi

Was actually looking at this Kodak.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:57:27 PM EDT
Go here:

www.dpreview.com

And read, read, read!

Galland
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:04:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
Its time to replace my Sony 2.0MP no zoom having self for a decent digi cam. I would love to be able to swap lenses. But if I cant, I want a good zoom. I dont need alot of features, just good zoom, flash, preview LCD and pictures. Point, focus and click is all I need. But I do want a nice one.
Looking for something below $300-$400.....

Thanks in advacne.

The cheapest digital SLR which can use changeable lenses that I can find on B&H Photo's web site is the Nikon D50 at $570, and that's just the body with no lenses, so a DSLR is well outside your price range.

The next step down from a DSLR is what some people call a "ZLR" or "zoom lens reflex". These look like a DSLR but have a zoom lens that can't che swapped with other lenses. B&H Photo only list two of these in your price range, a Kodak Easyshare that WIgunnut has already commented on and a Konica Minolta Dimage Z6 (I have no experience with this camera so I can't comment on it).

The next step down from there are the compacts. There are too many on the market to list them and I don't use them. Galland's reccomendation for dpreview.com is a good one. Their tests are well done and comprehensive.

For the record I own an Olympus E-300 DSLR with a couple of lenses.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:36:31 PM EDT
Try looking for a deal on a canon powershot S2 is. Good range, good image quality. Should be under $400 if you shop. Don't forget you'll probably have to get new memory cards as well for most any cam you buy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:10 PM EDT
I am a big fan of the Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom. It offers 5.1 Megapixels and a 5x Optical zoom for well under $300. It is impossible to beat for the money.

C-5500 Sport Zoom

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:24:39 PM EDT
Buy the best Canon or Olympus you can afford.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:20:24 PM EDT
I just got this Today!

$250 at WallyMart

Tiny , but does everything - video at 30fps too!

[http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7113&pq-locale=en_US&color=midnight_black
Top Top