Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 2:18:23 AM EDT
Its time to replace my Sony 2.0MP no zoom having self for a decent digi cam. I would love to be able to swap lenses. But if I cant, I want a good zoom. I dont need alot of features, just good zoom, flash, preview LCD and pictures. Point, focus and click is all I need. But I do want a nice one.
Looking for something below $300-$400.....

Thanks in advacne.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything but the Kodak Easyshare.
Figured Id save a few bucks, Shouldnt have bought it.

Fugi makes a nice digi
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anything but the Kodak Easyshare.
Figured Id save a few bucks, Shouldnt have bought it.

Fugi makes a nice digi

Was actually looking at this Kodak.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Go here:

www.dpreview.com

And read, read, read!

Galland
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Its time to replace my Sony 2.0MP no zoom having self for a decent digi cam. I would love to be able to swap lenses. But if I cant, I want a good zoom. I dont need alot of features, just good zoom, flash, preview LCD and pictures. Point, focus and click is all I need. But I do want a nice one.
Looking for something below $300-$400.....

Thanks in advacne.

The cheapest digital SLR which can use changeable lenses that I can find on B&H Photo's web site is the Nikon D50 at $570, and that's just the body with no lenses, so a DSLR is well outside your price range.

The next step down from a DSLR is what some people call a "ZLR" or "zoom lens reflex". These look like a DSLR but have a zoom lens that can't che swapped with other lenses. B&H Photo only list two of these in your price range, a Kodak Easyshare that WIgunnut has already commented on and a Konica Minolta Dimage Z6 (I have no experience with this camera so I can't comment on it).

The next step down from there are the compacts. There are too many on the market to list them and I don't use them. Galland's reccomendation for dpreview.com is a good one. Their tests are well done and comprehensive.

For the record I own an Olympus E-300 DSLR with a couple of lenses.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Try looking for a deal on a canon powershot S2 is.  Good range, good image quality.  Should be under $400 if you shop.  Don't forget you'll probably have to get new memory cards as well for most any cam you buy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a big fan of the Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom. It offers 5.1 Megapixels and a 5x Optical zoom for well under $300. It is impossible to beat for the money.

C-5500 Sport Zoom

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy the best Canon or Olympus you can afford.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got this Today!  

$250 at WallyMart

Tiny , but does everything - video at 30fps too!  

[http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=7113&pq-locale=en_US&color=midnight_black
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top