Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2017 3:22:28 PM EDT
I'm taking an adult-education photography course for shits and giggles.  The course is billed for ten people, but there are only five of us enrolled.  The instructor says that because there are so few of us, we've been running through the course material way faster than normal, and he'd like to spend a few weeks going over Lightroom and post-processing.  (FWIW, I've got the unsupported version of Photoshop 2 on my home desktop, and I 'sort of' know how to use it... but not really.)

The instructor's preference would be that we all sign up for a subscription to Lightroom.  Looking online, you can buy a Lightroom 6 disc for just over a year's rental.  Is this something I'd be better owning, or renting?  I may or may not end up using it a lot.  I know that I don't really use the PS 2 that I have a lot.  For simple things like cropping, and tweaking brightness and contrast, it's just easier to do it in Microsoft Office.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm taking an adult-education photography course for shits and giggles.  The course is billed for ten people, but there are only five of us enrolled.  The instructor says that because there are so few of us, we've been running through the course material way faster than normal, and he'd like to spend a few weeks going over Lightroom and post-processing.  (FWIW, I've got the unsupported version of Photoshop 2 on my home desktop, and I 'sort of' know how to use it... but not really.)

The instructor's preference would be that we all sign up for a subscription to Lightroom.  Looking online, you can buy a Lightroom 6 disc for just over a year's rental.  Is this something I'd be better owning, or renting?  I may or may not end up using it a lot.  I know that I don't really use the PS 2 that I have a lot.  For simple things like cropping, and tweaking brightness and contrast, it's just easier to do it in Microsoft Office.

Opinions?
View Quote
I pay monthly for LR as part of the Creative Suite, so renting it makes sense for me because I use the rest of the applications; that being said, updates to LR CC are few and far between, if you don't have to be on Adobe's "bleeding edge" of social updates to platforms, I'd just buy it.  Other than new camera and lens profiles, Adobe's hasn't done anything new with LR, however they keep promising speed and efficiency upgrades.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pay monthly for LR as part of the Creative Suite, so renting it makes sense for me because I use the rest of the applications; that being said, updates to LR CC are few and far between, if you don't have to be on Adobe's "bleeding edge" of social updates to platforms, I'd just buy it.  Other than new camera and lens profiles, Adobe's hasn't done anything new with LR, however they keep promising speed and efficiency upgrades.
View Quote
There are features in LR CC that are not in LR 6.  Also it is anticipated they are making a major release here in about a week during an Adobe conference.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I would definately wait until after the adobe conference to see what updates they have.

With the subscription you also get photoshop and lightroom mobile, among other things.

I think serge ramelli may have a discount code on his website for the subscription. Makes the first few months cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the CC subscription here.  Everyone else kinda nailed the rest IMO.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Add me to the list of monthly users.

I would rather have the updates.

Also, processing in office (never even heard of doing that before) might be ok for a point and shoot running jpg.

If you're in a photography class, you'd better be shooting raw. In that case, you'll need a version of something that can process it. Lightroom is a popular choice for any of a hundred reasons.
View Quote
Office is great for tweaking jpegs, if all you're doing is cropping, or tweaking balances.  It definitely won't handle  shooting RAW.  I suppose, if I'm going to take photography more seriously I should start shooting in RAW.  Now that I'm in the waning years of my life.

Obligatory photo, shot as a jpeg, and slightly edited in Microsoft Office:

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top