Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2017 2:07:50 PM EDT
She does nature. A lot of boot and shoot in beach conditions, etc.
Takes maybe 100 pics a day and wears out a camera a year.

Now has a Nikon Coolpix P 610.
She wants either a Canon Power Shot SX 60 HS or a Nikon Coolpix P 900.

Needs to take lots of good quality pics in a year and be very durable.

Which to get? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That many pics per day?

It's time for her to step up to a DSLR.   Something that is built for intensive use.

I'm partial to Nikon products but Canon's line must be considered to be on an equal footing.   I just know Nikons better.

As for a model,  start by defining a budget for cameras and a budget for lenses.

Know that it's going to cost more to get into the DSLR world but at a hundred pictures a day, just about every day, it's really the way to go.

Remember, you don't have to buy NEW.  Clean used will do just fine.

I'd recommend a Nikon D5500 bundle as a very good way to enter the DSLR world.  You get a lot of capability for 700 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sir, DSLR is for tripods, not for walking 2 miles with it around your neck.
One of 2 above options please.

Thanks for your response.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Given those two choices, I would get the Canon, because it will record in RAW, the Nikon only in .jpg.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
That's funny. My airshow camera rig is a D810 and 200-500mm F/5.6 zoom lens, and add a battery grip to that.

I walk miles for hours and have no issues lugging it around without a tripod.  

A smallish DX format DSLR with the standard 18-55mm kit lens is neither large nor heavy.  

You can keep getting the compact cameras that last about a year or you can step up to one that
will easily last 10 years or longer in heavy service and you'll probably upgrade to a newer model
because you want one, not because the camera has stopped working well, after a decade or so.

Your choice.  

My mother got a D40 back in 2007.  It's still going strong and no signs of stopping.  Last I checked it
was running close to 100,000 shutter activations.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly?  Neither.  With both cameras you're stuck with the lens that comes with the camera.

DSLR is a good option but personally I'm a fan of mirrorless cameras.  They're cheaper first off - I picked up a Fuji X-A2 (kit lens included) and a macro lens for about 1K a year or so ago.  

Plus, because there's no mirror, there's less shake when you take a shot.  While I do use a tripod sometimes (especially if I'm using a longer timer), I don't feel like I have to use it all the time.

For quality also... while all cameras shoot in jpg, she might also want to consider shooting raw as well.  

Other factors of mirrorless vs dslr

Although I disagree with his review claiming DSLRs win on accessories... yes there's more options, but with the mirrorless what options you have are usually cheaper.  Plus, I don't think he mentioned it but with the mirrorless you can also track your subject as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Having had both a Nikon and a few Canon digital cameras, I would go with Canon.  The Nikon just didn't impress me.

I use a Canon G16 at work and love it.  My backpack camera is a Canon Powershot S110 and it's an excellent camera.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I would agree on the dslr front but give the Canon m5 a look. Small lightweight and interchangeable lenses. Not sure if Nikon has something similar. I also would give Sony a look. As for point and shoot I would go Canon or Sony. I have never messed around with a Nikon point and shoot so I can't really give a good opinion.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for your help guys.
Wife is going to get one of the previous listed cameras in the op AND a small DSLR.

Also, she wants to take the camera class at the local college.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
You could go happy medium and go for a mirrorless camera with an APS-C sensor.  That means it will have a larger sensor, like DSLR crop sensor cameras, but smaller camera body that will feel more like a point and shoot.  The lenses are detachable to provide more flexibility.

Sony a5000 or a5100 (newer model) would be right up her alley.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
If she wears out a camera per year, I would definitely step up to a DSLR DX/APS-C or one of those mirrorless ones. I have over 150,000 clicks on my old Nikon D40X DSLR, and never had a problem, it is still going strong today; I could use it as a backup.

I have advanced to a newer Nikon D5200 and D7100 today. I have had zero problems with either camera, probably 100K clicks on each camera.

I have worn out  a Canon S100 and a Panasonic ZS50 which are advance P&S cameras. These are compact cameras with a zooming lense on start-up, they are not very durable, and when I had a problem the ZS50, the mfg'r refused to repair them even though they were within the warranty, they said it was abused, it wasn't abused; but it was well used, so no more P&S cameras from Canon or Panasonic for me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sir, DSLR is for tripods, not for walking 2 miles with it around your neck.
View Quote
Cotton Carrier makes a center-of-the-chest carrier that gets the strain off ones neck. I carry a heavy Nikon all day with it with no complaints at all.

Using that, I think your wife will be happier with DSLR pics & still be comfortable.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Cotton Carrier makes a center-of-the-chest carrier that gets the strain off ones neck. I carry a heavy Nikon all day with it with no complaints at all.
View Quote
I use a Magpul MS2 sling for my DSLR.  Single-point style.  Works for rifles, why not other shooting gear?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Canon M series with an EOS lens adapter.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
You don't have to do much reading in this sub-forum to see I am a Nikon fan-boi, and have gear older than the average '13er.

But the Nikon P&S cameras are fair to middlin' in my opinion. I have owned Olympus, Panasonic (shockingly good), and Nikon. The Olympus generally perform very well.

Of those choices, the Canon.

But the "DSLRs are for tripods" - a good strap goes a long way. I have carried a DSLR all over the world, to beaches all over the US, and dozens upon dozens of sporting events. I buy gear for the pictures I want, and then make the small steps to make it all work together.

-shooter

ETA: I have a PeakDesign Slide strap, and on my back-up camera I keep a Nikon strap w/ PeakDesign anchors (so I can interchange straps QUICKLY). It makes a heavy camera feel light, and a light camera feel nonexistent.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:10:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't have to do much reading in this sub-forum to see I am a Nikon fan-boi, and have gear older than the average '13er.

But the Nikon P&S cameras are fair to middlin' in my opinion. I have owned Olympus, Panasonic (shockingly good), and Nikon. The Olympus generally perform very well.

Of those choices, the Canon.

But the "DSLRs are for tripods" - a good strap goes a long way. I have carried a DSLR all over the world, to beaches all over the US, and dozens upon dozens of sporting events. I buy gear for the pictures I want, and then make the small steps to make it all work together.

-shooter

ETA: I have a PeakDesign Slide strap, and on my back-up camera I keep a Nikon strap w/ PeakDesign anchors (so I can interchange straps QUICKLY). It makes a heavy camera feel light, and a light camera feel nonexistent.
View Quote
I honestly thought the Peak Design stuff was 'okay' until I tried it.  Quality is outstanding, 5 year warranty, and it really is awesome stuff.  I have the Slide Strap and hand strap for my camera.  Works great with pretty much any combination of lenses I use, including a 14-24mm and 70-200mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top