Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2017 11:17:55 PM EDT
I am taking a class on Photoshop element.  The instructor said tonight.  That Photoshop is greedy.  When you open a photo in photo shop it is removed from your photo library and placed in Photoshop and then can only be opened or seen in Photoshop.  Is this true?   She also said taking images in the raw format were a waste of time and computer storage space.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The instructor said tonight.  That Photoshop is greedy.  When you open a photo in photo shop it is removed from your photo library and placed in Photoshop and then can only be opened or seen in Photoshop.  Is this true?
View Quote
No.  

She also said taking images in the raw format were a waste of time and computer storage space.
View Quote

She is wrong.  jpeg files have their place, but for maximum editing capabilities, Raw is the way to go.  So what you are going to do with the images, is how you determine which file format to use.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Kekoa nailed it.  

Now I think there is an option for Elements to have it manage your photo library, but you have to set that up.  Kind of like how you can build a library of photos and categorize them in Lightroom.  If you want to do any significant editing or tweaking RAW is 100% the way to go.  The file name changes from camera to camera (Nikon is .nef for example) but it is literally the raw image file with all the sensor data.  So you can sit there and tweak things without potentially ruining the image.  .jpg on the other hand is just a snapshot of the surface data when the photo is taken, so you have way way less to work with.  

Btw, they just released Elements 18 in case that is useful to you.  Personally I just get the Creative Cloud subscription, but I use a lot of features that (to my knowledge) aren't in Elements.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The class is a 6 hour course at the tech school since I am over 62 it was only $25.  Since I have never played with any thing like Photoshop elements I figured take a lot of pics now and when the snow flies I will play in side.   Besides WINTER IS COMING.
She also warned us about Photoshop Organizer saying if  you use it to much, it will set it self up as your default camera download program and not allow you to download your pics on anything but Photoshop Organizer.

She seemed to know how Photoshop Element worked and was doing a good job of showing how to get started.  This was part 1 I do not think I will be taking part 2 until after I have played with it for a while.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She also warned us about Photoshop Organizer saying if  you use it to much, it will set it self up as your default camera download program and not allow you to download your pics on anything but Photoshop Organizer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There may be some truth to this, but I don't know for sure as I don't use Photoshop Elements, or Photoshop Organizer (I've been using the full version of Photoshop for 10+ years).  But even if it does automatically do something like that, you should be able to reconfigure the program to work anyway you want.  So you are not "stuck" with just one option.

She seemed to know how Photoshop Element worked and was doing a good job of showing how to get started.  This was part 1 I do not think I will be taking part 2 until after I have played with it for a while.
I might be tempted to stick it out, and you can probably learn a few things about the basics of Photoshop.  But the Photoshop programs are extremely versatile, and can be configured in more ways than I'll ever be able to figure out.  So take anything she says with a grain of salt, because there are probably a dozen ways to accomplish any one task  in Photoshop, and there is no real "right or wrong" way of doing things.  Mostly, just experiment and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Lightroom for organizing and for 95% of "developing".  Several years before I bought Photoshop 6, I used the then current version of Elements.  For the little that I used it, it worked fine.  When I began to work with infrared, I needed to be able to channel swap, which Elements did not have.  There was/is a person who developed a plugin for Elements for a nominal cost which "awakens" features in the program that Adobe turns off in Elements, such as the channel swap.

I have a relatively small number of images, about 20,000.  If one diligently uses keywords, LR is all of the organizing one likely will need and keywords make it much easier to find an image.  Lightroom adjustments are non-destructive, meaning it leaves the original untouched.  It works seamlessly with PS or Elements if needed for what LR cannot do and adds the retouched image back to he Lightroom database.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Abandon ship.  Your instructor is worthless.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am taking a class on Photoshop element.  The instructor said tonight.  That Photoshop is greedy.  When you open a photo in photo shop it is removed from your photo library and placed in Photoshop and then can only be opened or seen in Photoshop.  Is this true?   She also said taking images in the raw format were a waste of time and computer storage space.
View Quote

Lol.  I'd be asking for a refund of my tuition and dropping that class.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.
Seconded.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
she did say one thing I am thinking about doing.  She said to start a folder every year with sub folders for each month.  Then at the end of the year copy the folder to a memory stick stow that away as your back up.    She added that backing up to a separate hard drive is not needed.  At first I thought she hated the cloud then that changed.
I like the folder idea the rest not at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
she did say one thing I am thinking about doing.  She said to start a folder every year with sub folders for each month.  Then at the end of the year copy the folder to a memory stick stow that away as your back up.    She added that backing up to a separate hard drive is not needed.  At first I thought she hated the cloud then that changed.
I like the folder idea the rest not at all.
View Quote
That might work if your computer is kind enough not to go belly up until after the end of the year and you have backed up to a usb device.  There are various ways to properly back up, once a year not being one.  Hard drives are pretty cheap, and a couple can be part of a good backup strategy.....if regularly used.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You should probably abandon that class. The instructor is giving you not only wrong information, but basically opposite of good advice.

View Quote
Agreed.  Bail out now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:31:28 AM EDT
[#16]
The first hr of class tonight was a bust.  The teacher said to bring in some pics to work on.  Not a problem .  We get there and she starts off with bring up your picture of some one with glare on their glasses.   WTF nothing was said about that type of pic.   She then hands out some papers telling how to get the glare out based on Photoshop from 8 yrs. ago.  
She says the buttons on the handout are close enough to the ones used today so we should not have any problems.   The rest of the class was done on layers.   The last 20 minutes was on adding text to pics.  Her parting comments were she hopes everyone signed up for part 2 starting next week. We will spend the  first 2 hours a on adding text to pics.  Remember jpg is better than raw.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:17:10 AM EDT
[#18]
The class was only $25 and 2 nights.   I will not be going to her part 2 class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top