Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2017 8:44:43 PM EDT
I took a picture of an amazing sunrise using my phone this morning, and it was a bit washed out (even with the sun not up yet).

I have an Olympus ZX-2 that has great manual controls, and I want to try it.  Can't change the lens, so wondering what kind of settings you guys recommend to get proper exposure in those conditions.

I would add the photo here, but I heard that my free photobucket account won't work for that anymore...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't give you exact settings as every scene is different. I will usually start out around f10 iso 100 and adjust my shutter speed as needed. Lightning changes so drastically for sunrise/sunset pictures that I will adjust my shutter every few minutes. If your camera has a histogram and live view this make it easy to compose your shot. The real magic will happen in post processing. I always use a tripod just so I know everything is steady.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it shoot RAW?

Most awesome sunset/sunrise pics have a fair amount of processing.

I've gone to a bit of an extreme here, but you'll see what I'm getting at:

Straight OOC:
PAT15002 LZ Sunrise by FredMan, on Flickr

Processed:
PAT15002 LZ Sunrise by FredMan, on Flickr

And another set, not so dramatic on the post work.  OOC:
DSC_4566_ by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Amazingly, here's one with no post-work.  Took it before I started shooting RAW and playing around with processing.

D200, 70mm, 1/90, f/6.7, ISO 100

DSC_1302 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, this particular point and shoot does shoot in RAW.  It's very nice with the features.  I think it has a historgram, but I don't use that feature (still a newb).  I'll get out and play with the settings in RAW and see what I can come up with.

If I use ISO 100, what kind of exposure have you guys found works best for the low light foreground without washing out the sunrise?  I am guessing that a mid range aperature with maybe a 1 second exposure?  Just trying to get a feel for the distance and darkness balance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
This 15002 pic is very close to what I was trying to capture.  The horizon washed out, but the pinks and blues higher up came through.  I was at the firehouse, so there was a flag near me which showed up well.  The buildings and other flags down the street were blacked out a bit because of the low light.  

I'll try to copy your settings and see how they turn out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll get out and play with the settings in RAW
View Quote
The whole point of shooting RAW is that you play with the settings in post.

I very much encourage you to slightly overexpose (Zack's ETTR); I try for +.3 to +.5 EV most of the time.  Pulling back some +EV will result in much less noise than pushing -EV.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, this particular point and shoot does shoot in RAW.  It's very nice with the features.  I think it has a historgram, but I don't use that feature (still a newb).  I'll get out and play with the settings in RAW and see what I can come up with.

If I use ISO 100, what kind of exposure have you guys found works best for the low light foreground without washing out the sunrise?  I am guessing that a mid range aperature with maybe a 1 second exposure?  Just trying to get a feel for the distance and darkness balance.
View Quote
1 second is going to blow everything out.  Off-hand, not seeing the scene I'd got for something like f/5.6, 1/80, if you can hold that steady.  Adjust ISO until your sky is slightly washed out (shoot raw!) and bring it back in post.

Settings on my top picture there were 11mm, f/2.8, 1/125 sec, ISO 100.  I can get away with a lot more at f/2.8 and 11mm that I could at 24 or even 18mm.  11mm is so wide that it has incredible depth of field unless you're focusing on something very close.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

1 second is going to blow everything out.  Off-hand, not seeing the scene I'd got for something like f/5.6, 1/80, if you can hold that steady.  Adjust ISO until your sky is slightly washed out (shoot raw!) and bring it back in post.

Settings on my top picture there were 11mm, f/2.8, 1/125 sec, ISO 100.  I can get away with a lot more at f/2.8 and 11mm that I could at 24 or even 18mm.  11mm is so wide that it has incredible depth of field unless you're focusing on something very close.
View Quote
Thanks! Since it's point and shoot, I only have the lens that's on it.  I do have control over the other features, and will break out the tripod to try those settings.  I appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top