Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2017 1:58:11 PM EDT
I'm considering entering one of my photos from last night into a contest or two, but have zero idea how to find out what ones are good to apply for or the like.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?  This is the one I'm thinking of, minus the watermark and full size of course.

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I advise you to read the TOS carefully for the contests.

I have lots of pics I think had a better than fair chance of winning. I did not enter. The TOS was talking about royalty free licenses blah blah lawyer shit.

No thanks.
View Quote
I have read about that frequently being the case.

Also, it looks to me like the “horizon” is not level in your excellent photo.  It feels like it is rotated counter-clockwise a little.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
You might be better off selling those great pictures on a stock photo site where you get paid every time someone buys the limited rights to use it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Also, it looks to me like the “horizon” is not level in your excellent photo.  It feels like it is rotated counter-clockwise a little.
View Quote
Fixed it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have lots of pics I think had a better than fair chance of winning. I did not enter. The TOS was talking about royalty free licenses blah blah lawyer shit.

No thanks.

It does, but the camera was perfectly level when the shot was taken (verified with the virtual horizon).  My guess is the terrain more than anything, as on the right, there are two different elevations kinda blended in the distance.  Close up is level, but further out is ~20' higher on the other side of the lake.

But yeah, I've been reading a lot of the TOS for different contests and it's a solid 'meh' on that idea so far.  I do have them posted on one or two stock sites though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I've entered a couple photo contests over the years. My advice? Enter the images you personally like and try not to judge which ones you should enter, by trying to see them through someone else's eyes.

With one contest I entered, I was allowed 10 photo entries. So I scoured my files and found 7-8 images I thought were worthy. Images I thought other people would like as well. Wanting to take full advantage of all 10 entries, but still lacking a couple to make up that 10, I found a couple shots that I thought were "ok" but probably wouldn't win. Guess which image won. You got it, one of my toss ins to make up 10 entries.

Simultaneously, I entered a second contest. Did not know at that time the results of the first contest I entered. Guess which photo won that second contest. You got it. The same damn photo that won contest number one. LOL!!!!!

ETA: That winning photo came in second place in both contests. Second place in the "artistic category" in one contest, and in the "people category" in the other contest.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I felt like it wasn't worth it to me comparing what I won vs the free use of my images.  I take my pleasure in being in nature and the pursuit of getting the best shot I can of what is in front of me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#8]
There are groups that run contests for the purpose of promoting the craft/art of photography. For example, Nikonians.org has a regular series of competitions that are advertised in relevant forums (e.g., landscape where the September contest is "Sky's the Limit" [meaning the sky is a major compositional element]). Various forums run monthly contests there - but you do have to be a paid member starting @ $25/yr.

There may be some local photo clubs, too. They exist to promote the craft. (Well, every club has its own "personality" so 'try before you buy' is a good concept to apply.)

There are a lot of online "competitions" that are run to collect photos the organization can use for their own purpose. Sometimes that's cool, sometimes not so much. For example, there's a regional group in Virginia that runs an annual photo contest related to imagery of the Piedmont region. They use the images in various promotional material. If one were inclined to aid the cause, participation may be warranted. Not so much if one wants to pay the mortgage with license fees. Always read the fine print in the rules.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly this.

Too many contests these days are just scooping up lots of pictures for free, to be used with no compensation for the photographer, by the for-profit organization.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top