Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2017 3:31:04 PM EDT
Especially if you want to backup said RAW files.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep a copy of the catalogue backup.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep a copy of the catalogue backup.
View Quote
Hrm.  Never did that before.

How does that work if you dont mind me asking.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hrm.  Never did that before.

How does that work if you dont mind me asking.
View Quote
This should guide you:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/back-catalog.html
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Especially if you want to backup said RAW files.
View Quote

Normally, you do not keep the adjustments with the picture as the adjustments are stored in the catalog (SQLite database).

You can set Lightroom to write XML sidecar files that contain MOST of the edit information for each image.

For the exported JPG files, you can have MOST of the edit info written to the EXIF data.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
By backup do you mean move the raw files to an external drive?

All the information on the edits is stored in Lightroom, specifically the catalog. The .cr2 files aren't actually changed in any way. You can move them to an external drive and as long as you point Lightroom to the updated location (it will ask you for the location of the missing photos when you open it next time) the edits will remain. There's not really any neat and tidy way to store the edits with the raw, because even if you do write some of the changes there you still need a program to read the info, so in that case you might as well just keep it in the Lightroom catalog.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
By backup do you mean move the raw files to an external drive?

All the information on the edits is stored in Lightroom, specifically the catalog. The .cr2 files aren't actually changed in any way. You can move them to an external drive and as long as you point Lightroom to the updated location (it will ask you for the location of the missing photos when you open it next time) the edits will remain. There's not really any neat and tidy way to store the edits with the raw, because even if you do write some of the changes there you still need a program to read the info, so in that case you might as well just keep it in the Lightroom catalog.
View Quote
Not the raw files, just the changes i made. I have a fear of losing all the edits i made and starting from scratch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
In that case just upload the catalog backups from the ~Lightroom>Backups folder to Google Drive, Dropbox, MS OneDrive, whatever.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
you could always export DNGs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top