Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2017 12:07:23 PM EDT
I've got a lens with broken locking lugs and no shop near me can repair it. Any one ever sent something off to them? How long did you wait to get it back? Possible cost input (no warranty)?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got a lens with broken locking lugs and no shop near me can repair it. Any one ever sent something off to them? How long did you wait to get it back? Possible cost input (no warranty)?
View Quote

I know nothing of such lenses, but be prepared to be told that your elements need to be reset into a new lens body, unless the locking part is a sub assembly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used them a few times.  They have an east coast, and a west coast repair center (depending on where you are sending your lens from).  I have always used the west coast center, since I'm in Texas.  Service has been good, and total turn around time has been a couple of weeks.  With that said, I have read some complaints about slower service from Nikon over the past year or two.

So, if the lens is not under warranty, I would use APS Photo Repair.  I have used them, a couple of times in the past, also.  Their service is excellent, estimates are free, and turn around time is also not more than a couple of weeks (usually less). Prices are on par with the Nikon repair center.

But, the big question is, what lens do you need to get repaired?  All lens repairs are somewhat expensive (let's say $200 -$800).  So if it is a "pro" quality lens, send it in and get an estimate.  If it is a kit lens, I would just replace it with a new one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used them a few times.  They have an east coast, and a west coast repair center (depending on where you are sending your lens from).  I have always used the west coast center, since I'm in Texas.  Service has been good, and total turn around time has been a couple of weeks.  With that said, I have read some complaints about slower service from Nikon over the past year or two.

So, if the lens is not under warranty, I would use APS Photo Repair.  I have used them, a couple of times in the past, also.  Their service is excellent, estimates are free, and turn around time is also not more than a couple of weeks (usually less). Prices are on par with the Nikon repair center.

But, the big question is, what lens do you need to get repaired?  All lens repairs are somewhat expensive (let's say $200 -$800).  So if it is a "pro" quality lens, send it in and get an estimate.  If it is a kit lens, I would just replace it with a new one.
View Quote
It is a kit lens. Not too concerned about it since I have a few other lenses just wanted to get opinions. I was on the fence of just getting a whole new one or fixing that one but your post pretty much sums up what I wanted to "hear".
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You could still send it in for an estimate.  They will contact you, and tell you what it will cost to repair.  If you say no, they will return your lens, at their expense.  So you only have to pay for one-way shipping to get an estimate.

Or, give APS a call and see if they even recommend getting an estimate.   But I suspect the cost of repair will be too high for most kit lenses.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had good luck with APS in Morton Grove, IL.  I'm lucky enough to be able to drive there..
I dropped a D7100 with my 70-200 VRII attached onto the cement floor at a hockey rink.  Camera (to me) was a total loss but they repaired the lens.
It was 2 or 300 but worth it for what a paid for it!
I've done routine cleaning maintenance through them as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:34:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If you search enough in Nikon's support page, you can get an online estimate.  Just about every lens is a flat rate of $385 for repair, I believe.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is a kit lense, I would replace it. I would not bother to send it in for an estimate, because most like the cost of the repair + shipping, it would just be cheaper to buy a refurb'd one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used them quite a few times over the years, but I've never sent them a kit lens. Last lens I sent it I was told it was too old and they no longer had parts for it. Which I kind of expected prior to sending it, but did it anyway, just incase. It had served me well for 20 years so it really owed me nothing.

Kit lenses are usually under $500 new, I'd just replace it an go on about my business. Not really worth the time and expense of sending it back in.

EDIT.... Broken locking lugs, so the lock ring is plastic?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top