Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 12:38:27 PM EDT
Looking to get thoughts on Digital cams for taking pics of Deer at decent distance..

Aside from family events, I really want to take Pics of deer in our back yard/pasture... 

From my door to the wood-line its about 250-300 Yards...  We have anywhere from 3-25 deer out there especially in the fall, so I thought I'd start looking now...

Also, we have a road that we take a drive around every few evenings about an hour or so before dark, where we drive past several big pastures that have tons of Deer and other animals out there that I'd love to get pics of...  Those are a bit further off...  

Last night we counted 47 deer in one field, several deer in the field before, then several more a few of the fields after... 

I'd love to take some pics of those guys too...

I'm not a photo/camera snob by any means, don't want to be, can't afford to be, but I'd like to take decent pics, where the deer are recognizable as deer, not just dark spots in the distance.....

I think any of the Digital Cams that are in the 200 range would do a decent job picture quality wise, IF I was just taking pics up close, but as I've said, I  want o get out further...

Honestly, I know I'm not going to get the best, perfect camera, especially, not on my budget...

I'm thinking any Digital Cam I'd buy would take better pics than my Samsung S6 Smart Phone, so I'm kinda looking at a Nikon Coolpix B700 Digital Camera with 64GB and Accessory Kit for like $466.00                  
Includes:
  • Nikon COOLPIX B700 Digital Camera 
  • Sony 64GB SD Card
  • Focus Replacement Battery Pack (EN-EL23)
  • HDMI to Micro HDMI cable
  • Focus Accessory Kit 
  • 12-Inch Spider Tripod
  • Nikon Authorized Dealer - Includes USA Manufacturer's Warranty
  • 60x optical zoom/120x Dynamic Fine Zoom super telephoto NIKKOR ED glass lens
  • PSAM mode dial and RAW (NRW) capture for maximum image control
  • 20.2 MP low-light CMOS image sensor for brilliant photo and 4K UHD video quality
  • Built-in Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth low energy (BLE) maintain a constant connection with a compatible smartphone or tablet
Do any of you have this camera??? 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd need to go DSLR and get some good bird watching glass to get nice photos at that distance.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Without breaking the bank, if zoom is your one demand, I'd look at the Nikon P900 (I think) as it has the equivalent of a 1000mm lens built in. Dent for stills but not as good as a DSLR. On the other hand, it has 75% of the features for a decent price. 

Ill post up a link when I get to my pc. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Without breaking the bank, if zoom is your one demand, I'd look at the Nikon P900 (I think) as it has the equivalent of a 1000mm lens built in. Dent for stills but not as good as a DSLR. On the other hand, it has 75% of the features for a decent price. 

Ill post up a link when I get to my pc. 
View Quote
P900 is probably the best bang for the buck on this.  2000mm (35mm equivalent) optical zoom (40x magnification).  Decent quality sensor and picture quality.

You would also need a stable support for the camera.  It is very difficult to handhold for that extreme magnification.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127274-REG/nikon_26499_coolpix_p900_digital_camera.html

BHPhoto is out of refurbs, but Adorama has them for less than $500 currently.

https://www.adorama.com/inkcpp900br.html
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank so for posting that, it would be a while before I got home and honestly probably would have forgotten. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

P900 is probably the best bang for the buck on this.  2000mm (35mm equivalent) optical zoom (40x magnification).  Decent quality sensor and picture quality.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I ordered the P900.  I'll let you know what I think of it, after I get it and have taken a few pics...

I'm sure I'll have a lot to learn, I'm camera illiterate...

Any one know a decent Tripod thats not a 1000 dollars?  Something fairly tall???  I know that's asking a lot...  But, I see them from 20.00 to 5K...   

This is for me to take a few pics of Deer and family events...  Nothing major... 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a Vortex tripod from an archery store a few years ago.  It does everything I want it to do and it was under 350.  I don't know the model off hand.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get a decent Slik or Manfrotto for $150 or so. I'll see what I can find links for when I get to my PC. Picked up as grotto 290 Light with ball head for $160 for my mom the other week. 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I find that cameras with the compact size and have a lens that camera with zooms out to shooting position don't last very long before they break down, and before you need to send it in for repairs.

I have had 2 cameras, a Canon S100 and a Panasonic Lumix ZS50, they all broke down after a ~10,000 cycles(personally I don't know that exact numbers because I was not expecting it to break, so it is just a guestimate).

They are very expensive to repair, the camera companies will do everything to avoid repairing them, the cost is roughly half the cost of a current new camera. I have gotten to the point where I will say "F-it," and just write it off as a loss.

For reference, I have a Nikon D40X that I shot ~150,000 photos, and is still running strong today. And a Nikon D5200 & D7100 that both have over 50,000 clicks on the shutter, zero problems.

Those little compact cameras may sound like a good deal, but they are not very durable, if you shoot many photos.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#11]
If long-distance zoom is really your goal you're going to want a crop-sensor DSLR and a LONG zoom.

This is a D500 and the Tamron 150-600, at probably 200 yards, cropped.

Strut 20170403 by FredMan, on Flickr

Same camera and lens, maybe 250 yards, cropped.

Evening Summer Doe by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Fred is right but the P900 is $500 vs the $2000 you'd likely have to invest in a DSLR, lens, and tripod. 

Just have to decide if going big is worth it. 
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fred is right but the P900 is $500 vs the $2000 you'd likely have to invest in a DSLR, lens, and tripod. 

View Quote
I've got about $3,800 in my D500, Tamron, and tripod.  

Cheaper used, of course.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bought the P900... I know it's not as good as some, but it's about my upper limit of what I'm willing to spend to take a few pics of deer and other animals...

I've taken a handful of near and far pics, a few of the deer out back, few of the moon, a few of a house way at the end of our road, etc, etc, but haven'thad time to put them on the PC and see how they came out...
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Just as an example, here's 600mm at about 40 yards, and cropped down to about 60%

Doe and Fawn by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just as an example, here's 600mm at about 40 yards, and cropped down to about 60%

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4363/36119661333_6f88b6f795_h.jpgDoe and Fawn by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
Wow, I'm no Photo Ninja, but to my Eye the color and detail on those look real nice...

Is that with the P900?

What software did you use for the cropping?

I'm hoping to get to play with mine a bit tonight and check out the few pics I've taken after I spend a few hours cutting the grass (3 Acres to cut) then doing some bills ...
Never have free time to do these things...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wow, I'm no Photo Ninja, but to my Eye the color and detail on those look real nice...

Is that with the P900?

What software did you use for the cropping?

I'm hoping to get to play with mine a bit tonight and check out the few pics I've taken after I spend a few hours cutting the grass (3 Acres to cut) then doing some bills ...
Never have free time to do these things...
View Quote
D500 and Tamron 150-600, at 600mm.

Post work in Lightroom:  cropping, some exposure, a smidgen of higher white balance, sharpening, noise reduction, a little clarity, some minor levels, and vibrance.

Here's the as-shot version.  Note in particular that I'm exposing to the right to cut down on noise as much as possible with the 5000 ISO.  Looks pretty crappy, right?  RAW and post-work can do amazing things.

Doe and Fawn As Shot by FredMan, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top