Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2017 12:33:34 AM EDT
My computer is 9.5 yrs old.  What would be a good basic computer for editing and what would it cost?  How about a refurb?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Depeonds on a lot of things.  What kind of photos are you wanting to edit, are they panos, how big are the files, are you running the newest version of Photoshop or Lightroom, etc.

To be honest, you'll be looking $700 or so likely.  Something with an i5 processor and dedicated graphics card is a minimum I think.  I'm running a ~7 year old i3 with 16gb ram and a dedicated middle range graphics card (AMD r9 290 4gb) and it'll freeze half the time with panoramas or large edits.

Been looking at something to upgrade too myself. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:27:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#3]
B&H has some very nice discounts on Apple computers, right now.

Check them out here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Photoshop or light room will not even load up on my pc it is so old.   General purpose computing.   Pics will be from a Canon T5.  I now have time to get out and start taking pics so I would like to edit them when I down load them.  I haven't looked at pc in so long I don't even know the terminology to ask questions about.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same boat.  9 year old computer.  I mainly do light manipulations on jpeg files from my D500 of my kids hockey/lacrosse/volleyball.
I'm looking at this:

Intel 7th Generation Core i5
Windows 10 operating system
Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

7th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-7400 processor
Smart quad-core, eight-way processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don't.

12GB system memory for full-power multitasking
Plenty of high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once.

DVD/CD burner
Reads and writes to a variety of media formats, including DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW.

1TB hard drive and 128GB solid state drive (SSD) for a blend of storage space and speed
The hard drive provides ample storage, while the SSD delivers faster start-up times and data access.

Cloud support lets you access your files anywhere
Store your photos, videos, documents and other files on Dropbox for secure access across multiple devices. Fees may apply.

Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer
Supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, SD, SDHC, SDXC and Memory Stick Select memory card formats.

5 USB 3.0 ports maximize the latest high-speed devices
Also includes 2 USB 2.0 ports to connect more accessories and peripherals. The USB 3.0 ports are backward-compatible with USB 2.0 devices (at 2.0 speeds).

Next-generation wireless connectivity
Connects to your network or hotspots on all current Wi-Fi standards. Connect to a Wireless-AC router for speed nearly 3x faster than Wireless-N. Gigabit LAN port also plugs into wired networks.

Bluetooth 4.2 interface syncs with compatible devices
Wirelessly transfer photos, music and other media between the desktop and your Bluetooth-enabled cell phone or MP3 player, or connect Bluetooth wireless accessories.

Wireless keyboard and wireless mouse
For greater comfort.

Multimedia software package included
CyberLink PowerDirector.

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Core, Atom, Ultrabook, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

It's affordable and that's important as hockey fees were just due...
Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Because of some upcoming business i ended up buying a new laptop.   I got a Dell inspiro.  I also bought Photoshop element.  
I do not like windows 10.   I had forgotten what a pain in the ass setting up a new computer is.  
Just for fun and trying to keep learning new stuff. I signed up for a Photoshop elements class at the local tech school.   Being over 62 cut the cost of the class down to $28.  I wonder if I will get a chance to insult some snow flakes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because of some upcoming business i ended up buying a new laptop.   I got a Dell inspiro.  I also bought Photoshop element.  
I do not like windows 10.   I had forgotten what a pain in the ass setting up a new computer is.  
Just for fun and trying to keep learning new stuff. I signed up for a Photoshop elements class at the local tech school.   Being over 62 cut the cost of the class down to $28.  I wonder if I will get a chance to insult some snow flakes.
View Quote
The first thing I did on my Windows 10 PC was to download and run "Classic Shell".  The second thing, and it took a while, was to disable whatever the new browser is and go back to IE.  The third thing was to disable all of the spying and reporting back that 10 would allow me to.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The first thing I did was disable all the reporting features of Window 10 The next thing was to make firefox the preferred browser.  I have to figure out how to completely disable corina.    I am getting there but window 10 sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top