Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 9:45:13 PM EDT
I'm not a professional, but I think I need some better lighting for when I take pics of staged items.
Bouncing my speed light just isn't really getting the job done as well as I'd like.
Originally I was thinking light box, but then the thought of umbrellas to allow larger items popped into my mind.

I found this inexpensive LimoStudo umbrella kit on Amazon and I'm thinking I'll give it a go - unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't..... 
https://www.amazon.com/Photography-Portrait-Continuous-LimoStudio-LMS103/dp/B005FHZ2SI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502847985&sr=8-3&keywords=limostudio+lighting+kit
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly that was the first way I went with my lighting stuff.  The CFL bulbs downright stuck.  Like hardcore suck.  ~45-60w at best.  Unless you want your ISO cranked way up, you'll need a tripod or way more powerful lights with a good CRI.  

The stands and umbrellas are usable for the money, hell I still use mine even though I've moved up to flashes.  Personally, if you have the money, I'd get the kit but not even worry about the CFL lights.  Just the stands and umbrellas really.  Add a pair of flash brackets, and a pair of the Amazon (Godox clone) manual speedlights.

Yeah, it would basically double your investment but for $100 ish total, you'll get a way more flexible lighting system.  Barring that, you're still in $25 or so for a pack of 100w equivalent LED bulbs that work well.  The phillips were what I used, but you'll still need a longer shutter time (tripod) or high ISO.  

As for the flashes, I have zero first hand knowledge with that model, but the reviews say it's pretty decent for the money.  First flash I've seen get good reviews under $60 a pop for a Yongnuo.  If you are okay with a tripod and only want to do product stuff, just get the LED bulbs though.  Less hassle and effort.

Amazon Product
  • Flash cold mount shoe bracket, Light Stand Mount with Umbrella Holder
  • Top cold shoe clip design fits most Canon, Nikon and other flashes with standard shoe mount or video LED light, studio light(Note:this adapter does not fit Sony and Minolta flash)
  • A hole specially designs for holding umbrellas,180° vertical and 360° horizontal adjustment

Amazon Product
  • External flash for taking professional-looking photos in low-light conditions; compatible with Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras
  • 3 flash modes for versatility: M, S1, S2 (Manual mode, Slave mode 1, and Slave mode 2)
  • Standard PC synchronous port (input) for off-camera connecting; wireless sensor for triggering flash from a distance

Amazon Product
  • This Philips 100 Watt Equivalent A19 LED Light Bulb consumes only 14 watts of energy, saving you 87% in energy consumption
  • Ideal for household use in table lamps, floor lamps and open pendant fixtures
  • Provides a bright light similar to natural daylight

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:09:55 AM EDT
[#2]
That said, the best advice I can give you for the light stands is pretty easy.  Go to the hardware store and pick up 40 (you should only need 36, but if you lose some) thin white number 12 nylon washers.  The self lubricating ones that are about 1mm thick.  You'll want to take apart the bottom two joints on each leg of the light stand and put them between the arm and legs of the stand, then use the crappy steel washers you removed to put under the screws on the outside.

Hit each joint with a drop of triflo or wd-40 and then open/shut the stand a few times.  Basically stiffens them up to where they'll stick when you set it up, but will still slide smoothly without bullshit.

That and I took some paracord and made a soft shackle knot on it with some extra, and epoxied it onto the rubber caps for the light stand.  Once cured, I looped the paracord around the top of the stand where it tapers down, so when I unscrew the caps to put lights on them, I don't have to worry about losing the little bastards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife bought me this kit as a surprise gift (not being much of a photographer, herself). She meant well, but I agree with NorthPolar's assessment: I would not recommend this kit.

If you can afford ~$150, the Interfit F5 2-head kit is a much better option for continuous lighting.

That said, if portraits are your goal, flashes/speedlights are a more cost-effective way to get brighter light - especially if you want to take environmental portraits with any significant amount of daylight in the mix.

After re-reading the OP, I see the goal is "staged items" (still lifes?). Depending on the size of the "stage", the kit you listed could work. I used the one my wife gifted me for a number of Ebay sales - then stopped using it out of frustration.  

Consider a shoot-through umbrella with your current flash.

If that still doesn't meet your need, consider a different - or perhaps additional - inexpensive flash (I've had good luck with Yongnuo). A multi-head light mount and radio trigger will help, too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly that was the first way I went with my lighting stuff.  The CFL bulbs downright stuck.  Like hardcore suck.  ~45-60w at best.  Unless you want your ISO cranked way up, you'll need a tripod or way more powerful lights with a good CRI.  

The stands and umbrellas are usable for the money, hell I still use mine even though I've moved up to flashes.  Personally, if you have the money, I'd get the kit but not even worry about the CFL lights.  Just the stands and umbrellas really.  Add a pair of flash brackets, and a pair of the Amazon (Godox clone) manual speedlights.

Yeah, it would basically double your investment but for $100 ish total, you'll get a way more flexible lighting system.  Barring that, you're still in $25 or so for a pack of 100w equivalent LED bulbs that work well.  The phillips were what I used, but you'll still need a longer shutter time (tripod) or high ISO.  

As for the flashes, I have zero first hand knowledge with that model, but the reviews say it's pretty decent for the money.  First flash I've seen get good reviews under $60 a pop for a Yongnuo.  If you are okay with a tripod and only want to do product stuff, just get the LED bulbs though.  Less hassle and effort.

www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5L79K6www.amazon.com/dp/B01I09WHLWwww.amazon.com/dp/B00YEMKJE2
View Quote
Thanks.
Yeah, I figured that the CFL's would suck (I hate CFL's out of principal anyway) and right off the bat I was planning on replacing them with daylight LED bulbs.
But the flash brackets and manual speed light looks like a good affordable option.
I'll check but the flashes look like they'll work with my Nikon D80 and D90 cameras for wireless triggering.
Most of what I'll use the lighting setup for is product stuff and I have no problem using my Manfroto tripod, it's usually always withing reach....

ETA: OK, after some further research I'm going with those umbrellas and the flash adapters.
I'm using a SB-600 speedlight with my D80 and D90 - the SB-600 does iTTL wirelessly which allows the camera to run all flash settings automatically from the camera (I love it) so I think I'll just get on Ebay and get another used SB-600 for $50-$100 and use dual SB-600's in Nikon iTTL mode, I think it will be the best option for the least expense. 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again for the recommendations - I appreciate it!
The LimoStudio umbrella kit and flash holders showed up and I also bought some 100W 5000K LED bulbs (only 80 CRI).
I gave it a try and my results are as you might expect, the stands and umbrella's aren't up to professional standards but neither am I so we are a good match! 
According to my light meter, the Kit 45W CFL bulbs put out more light (at 6500K) than the 100W LED's (at 5000K) but the CFL bulbs cast way more blue than I liked so the LED bulbs win there.
The "A" option by a far far piece is the Nikon SB-600 speedlight using iTTL with my D90, it's a no brainer because the wireless camera flash interface does most all of the flash power setting work for me with the preflashes!
I only have one SB-600 so my plan is to get another one or two from Ebay when the price is right and carry on using iTTL flash!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]

That nylon washer trick will really stiffen up the stands btw.  For what it's worth, they aren't bad.  That does remind me that I need to rig up some sandbags for shooting outdoors in a week or two.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tip - the TTL flash metering works OK for one off shots, but if you're going to be doing a series it's best to do it in manual flash and manual camera. You wouldn't want the exposure to decide it wants to change (and sometimes it does) midway through the shoot.
View Quote
Thanks, a very good point/tip.
I will probably just do the same procedure I use when taking spherical panoramas, switch on the exposure lock on the back of my camera.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top