Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 2:13:19 PM EDT
My 16yo daughter is already an accomplished artist. She does stuff like this:

Along with drawing etc...
Now she is getting into photography. She is using an old digital point and shoot, but wants to get a DSLR.

What can I get her, maybe with a couple of lenses for around $500 ?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Nikon 3300 18-150 lens.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nikon 3300 18-150 lens.
View Quote
Is this a better choice than a Canon EOS ?

I don't know anything about cameras.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I just like the Nikon, Nothing wrong with Cannon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just like the Nikon, Nothing wrong with Cannon.
View Quote
Just remember, you're actually buying a lens system/family.  Lenses will be with you LONG after that entry-level body is gathering dust in the closet.

My opinion, Nikon does a better job of ensuring backwards/forwards compatibility with lenses.  Canon has been known to change the mount specs so that older lenses won't work with newer bodies.

Plus, I like Nikon ergonomics and layout better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuji XT20 or Panasonic G85 if she like to do video. Both are full feature camera with superior kit lens and metal body. The cheap Nikons are crippled on purpose, plastic body and a crappy kit lens. Plus with the mirrorless body, you can use any lens with it w/ a lens adapter. You can't do that with the Nikon.

Btw, I run a high end Nikon DSLR for work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The cheap Nikons are crippled on purpose, plastic body and a crappy kit lens.
View Quote
You get what you pay for.  Want a good magnesium weather-sealed body?  Get a 7XXX series.  And pay the difference.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok no $1200 cameras... she's 16 and just starting....

ENTRY LEVEL.

I like that Nikon 3300... I'm going to see if she likes that.

So if I get the Nikon, only Nikon lenses?

Same with Canon?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Forget "entry level".... get something used.  I was in a similar boat, needed a camera for work and my 10 month old daughter.  I spent a lot of time at kenrockwell.com reading all of his reviews.

Ended up getting a like new D300s (has an SD card), 35mm lens, 50mm lens and a flash for less than $500.  The older Nikon bodies are built like tanks.  After a month of using it and doing a lot of reading, I'm not too shabby!

I started with a D200, great body but lacked SD card so I upgraded.  

And yes, once you get a body you're married to that type of lens, however there are a lot of aftermarket manufacturers.  Check craigslist, tons of cameras in my area.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a D5100 package in the EE.  Body, 3 lenses and other stuff for $400. Not a bad deal.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_151/1683614_WTS--Nikon-D5100-package----400-shipped.html
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly find a place where you can have her go hold and see what she likes the feel of best. I would stick with Canon or Nikon. Nikon has the edge on bodies at the moment but Canon has the edge in the lens department in my opinion. Either way you can't go wrong with either system. If your looking for new your going to be around the Canon t6 or Nikon 3300 for around $500. If you go used you might be able to get something a little better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Refurb Nikon  D7100 and a 35mm F1.8 would be a great entry kit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
So if I get the Nikon, only Nikon lenses?

Same with Canon?
View Quote
Negative.  Lots of 3rd party lens manufacturers.  Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc., in many (most?) cases cheaper than manufacturer.  OEM lenses will ensure 100% functionality, but I've never run into issues with my Tamron and Tokina lenses.  OEM lenses will, in some cases, be better than 3rd party, and in some cases the same.  You get intop a lot of price/performance issues that won't matter too much to someone starting out.

But Nikon-mount lenses will only fit Nikon bodies and Canon-mount lenses will only fit Canon bodies.  Canon has two different mounts.  Nikon has one.  All Nikon lenses will fit all Nikon bodies not the case with Canon.  I don't fully know all the details on Canon mounts as I'm a Nikon guy, but for truthfully, for most practical purposes, either brand will serve you well.

The Nikon 3XXX kit with lens will serve a beginner well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#14]
If you wanted new, B&H has the D3400 kit with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lens on sale for $600 right now.  Although you'd still need a SD card at minimum and I'd recommend some other basics.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275034-REG/nikon_1573_d3400_dslr_camera_with.html

Nikon has it refurbed for $450
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/refurbished-dslr-cameras/d3400-refurbished.html

Personally, even though it would cost $700 or so, I'd go with this.  Yeah, it's a bit more but you get a 'prosumer' weather sealed body with all the features and options.  It's a couple years old, but still a damned good camera for the money.
refurbished D7100 $560
refurbished 35mm f/1.8G $170

Regardless of what you get, you'll need a good SD card and cleaning kit, plus I recommend Understanding Exposure to everyone.  It covers pretty much everything on how to make your camera 'go' the moment you take it off auto.

Amazon Product
  • 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160p); Full HD (1920 x 1080p) Write Up To 90MB/s/ Read Up To 95MB/s
  • Extreme reliability and endurance, the Power CoreTM Controller's firmware increases endurance through wear leveling. The Power Core Controller's advanced
  • Error Correction Code (ECC) engine improves overall data integrity and reliability of the card during read and write.

Amazon Product
  • The Altura Photo Cleaning Kit is composed of carefully selected tools and materials to safely and effectively clean your camera and any other delicate optics. Includes: Lens Cleaning Pen System + High Quality Lens Brush + Air Blower Cleaner + 50 Sheets Lens Tissue Paper + Handy Empty Spray Bottle + 3 Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloths
  • Each item included in your Altura Photo Cleaning kit is inspected for quality assurance before shipping.
  • Digital Goja is the only seller of the Altura Photo cleaning kit. Please be careful purchasing similar looking kits that may contain low quality items that can damage your camera.

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:51:31 AM EDT
[#15]
That said, like the other guys have noted, you are really buying into the lens system more than anything.  Personally, I think Canon is about to get dethroned in the next few years as they have just been stagnant tech wise.  Could be wrong.

A 35mm f/1.8 is pretty much the same as the classic 50mm on a film camera, which is why it's so widely recommended.  There are also other lenses for pretty inexpensive on the Nikon site with their refurbished stuff.  An 18-55mm kit lens is only $100, but for learning digital, I'd really recommend just getting the 35mm.  Teaches you to work with the inherent limitations IMO.  Plus it's just a classic focal length.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the info gents.

I will talk more with her and see what she likes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:31:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just remember, you're actually buying a lens system/family.  Lenses will be with you LONG after that entry-level body is gathering dust in the closet.

My opinion, Nikon does a better job of ensuring backwards/forwards compatibility with lenses.  Canon has been known to change the mount specs so that older lenses won't work with newer bodies.

Plus, I like Nikon ergonomics and layout better.
View Quote
Canon changed mounts once, 30 years ago when auto focus came in to existence. As far as backwards compatibility, i have never heard a Canon shooter worrying about in body motor drives and the lack of them on cheaper models.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Any news on this?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any news on this?
View Quote
Yes.

She liked the Canon T6. I puchased the camera, lens and some "essentials" (IE: Data card, cleaning kit, tripod, filters etc...)

Give me a minute and I will post some photos she has taken....

Her own eye

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes.

She liked the Canon T6. I puchased the camera, lens and some "essentials" (IE: Data card, cleaning kit, tripod, filters etc...)

Give me a minute and I will post some photos she has taken....

Her own eye

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74272/IMG_0564_JPG-302985.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74272/IMG_0567_JPG-302986.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74272/IMG_0571_JPG-302987.jpg
View Quote
This looks like proof that it's not the bow, it's the Indian behind the bow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#21]
looks like it turned out awesome then.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top