Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol, B&H just called me at the office, said they had a big mistake, and weren't supposed to do pre-orders until tomorrow.
They apologized, and said they were leaving the order as is with no changes at the moment, but they would let me know tomorrow if there were going to be any issues.

i guess that means they are leaving a little wiggle room for pricing issues, but i'm pretty comfortable that they will have it up at the same price from our conversation.
View Quote
I'd be pissed if they jacked the price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
lol, B&H just called me at the office, said they had a big mistake, and weren't supposed to do pre-orders until tomorrow.
They apologized, and said they were leaving the order as is with no changes at the moment, but they would let me know tomorrow if there were going to be any issues.

i guess that means they are leaving a little wiggle room for pricing issues, but i'm pretty comfortable that they will have it up at the same price from our conversation.
View Quote
Yep, I got the same call.  I asked how many people hit their site before they took the pre-order down, and he said only about a dozen.

So at least I'm at the top of the list.

Edit:  He said they thought the order would be OK as is, but that Nikon had not even given them the retail prices yet. Which is why they may have to adjust it a little.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Supposed to ship between 9/4 and 9/10 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost time for the official announcement.  Will update thread when it happens.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Almost time for the official announcement.  Will update thread when it happens.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/36A9R/one-more-hour/image.jpg
View Quote
Wait, some of you guys were pre ordering before the official announcement?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#7]
It's official.   $3296.95
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's official.   $3296.95
View Quote
Damn it.  Gotta get one now...  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Damn it.  Gotta get one now...  
View Quote
 same
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, less expensive than I expected.  Totally getting one when I have $$$.

~1,840 shots per battery charge.  Holy hell, that's almost twice what my D7200 does. 

• 6.Other Features
    • Equipped with a 180K-pixel RGB sensor that greatly increases the precision and accuracy of automatically controlled functions, such as autofocus (AF), auto exposure (AE), and auto white balance (AWB)
    • Auto Picture Control, with which the camera automatically fine-tunes images in accordance with the scene
    • The new natural light auto white balance option that achieves more accurate color reproduction for a variety of scenes captured under natural lighting
    • RAW image size can be selected from large, medium*1, and small*1 depending upon how images will be used
    • A magnification of approximately 0.75x that enables a broad view has been achieved for the optical viewfinder
    • The convenient 8-cm/3.2-in., approximately 2359k-dot, tilting TFT touch-sensitive LCD monitor
    • A power-saving design that enables capture of approximately 1,840 shots or approximately 70 minutes of movie recording*2 on a single charge*3
    • A focus shift function that makes it easy to acquire the materials (shots) needed for the technique known as focus stacking*4, used to increase depth of field
    • A negative digitizer that makes it easy to convert color or black-and-white film negatives to digital data (JPEG)*5
    • Support for radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting, which increases the flexibility of multi-flash photography
    • *1Recorded in 12-bit, lossless compressed format.
    • *2With testing in accordance with CIPA standards. Maximum length is 29 min. 59 s. with a single recording.
    • *3When an EN-EL15a/EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery is used.
    • *4Focus stacking requires third-party editing software.
    • *5The ES-2 Film Digitizing Adapter (available separately) is required.
Price and Availability
The Nikon D850 will have a suggested retail price (SRP) of $3,299.95*, and will be available in September 2017. The MB-D18 Multi Power Battery Pack will have an SRP of $399.95*, while the ES-2 film digitalizing adapter will have an SRP of $149.95*.

D850 First Impressions: Landscape Photographer

D850 First Impressions: Time-lapse Photographer

D850 First Impressions: Commercial Sports Photographer
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Focus peaking and zebra striping confirmed.  That big block under the camera was a FTP wireless tether as well.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I kinda want one. But, I'm also not in a position to buy one. I don't have a mountain of cash laying around.

Perhaps I'll stumble across one used one of these days.
View Quote
I'm in the same boat.  Going to see what I can save up, sell, and potentially take a few friends to Mexico for... reasons.  And no, having 100# of ice in the back of my truck is not suspicious at all. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:57:05 AM EDT
[#15]
And yup, slightly larger than the Df.  Quarter inch wider, half taller and thicker.

5.8  in. x  4.9  in.  x  3.1  in. 
vs
5.6  in.  x  4.3  in. x  2.6  in. 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I preordered it.  Looks like the D810 is going up for sale.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I preordered it.  Looks like the D810 is going up for sale.
View Quote
It's bargain hunting time
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I have nothing to add. What a beast
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Well some masshole won my money... so I still cant afford one
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#21]
So it's a typo on the first box.  ISO 64, not 6.  Either way, holy fuck.   Nikon is saying the D850 has the same image quality at twice the ISO of the D810.  Additionally, I was wrong.  The chip is 100% Nikon development, with no modified Sony parts.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Imaging Resource did a Q&A with Nikon engineers about the D850

1) The D850 uses the same (excellent) AF system as the D5 and D500.
  • It includes the special, dedicated AF processor used in those cameras, that both handles the large number of AF points, and also provides the horsepower for the exceptional subject-tracking speed and ability seen with those cameras. (Many users and reviewers consider the D5's AF system to be the best in the business, period.)
2) Standard DX AF point coverage, in DX mode.
  • When shooting in DX mode, the D850's AF system has exactly the same coverage as it does on the D500.
3) Still only one AF fine-tune offset per lens.
  • When we asked whether the D850 would support different AF fine-tuning adjustments based on aperture (to handle lenses with spherical aberration, that shift their focus point slightly when stopped down) or for wide and tele focal lengths on a zoom, Nikon replied that they're aware of user requests in this area and are studying the feasibility, but it sounds like it won't be possible to add this capability to existing cameras via firmware updates.
4) The D850 supports focus peaking for both HD video and still photography.

• It isn't available when shooting 4K video, though.
5) The Nikon D850 is primarily a stills camera, but Nikon greatly expanded its video capabilities over previous models.
  • The D850 has very strong features for video recording, but when we asked if they would be positioning the D850 as a go-to camera for primarily video users, they replied that they still consider still photography as the camera's main focus. They did very specifically want to cater to the increasing number of traditionally still shooters who are now also shooting video, though, so treated video recording as a very important use case. (We were interested to learn that dual still/video shooting by professionals is much more common in the US than in other parts of the world. We didn't ask, but are curious why that would be so much the case?.)
6) 4K video with no horizontal cropping!
  • One significant feature of the D850 that we discussed with Nikon is its ability to shoot 4K video with no horizontal cropping. This is a big benefit for video shooters!
7) Electronic VR option available for Full HD, crops the frame slightly (unavoidable).
  • When recording Full HD video, the Nikon D850 offers the option of electronic vibration reduction. This is accomplished by using a bit less than the full sensor to create the video image. Then, if the camera moves slightly, the processor can simply shift the area that's being read out, to compensate. To make space on the sensor to do this, the camera will crop the frame slightly when electronic VR is enabled. Nikon didn't have a spec for us; we'll test and report on it when we get a test sample into our lab.
8) Reduced-resolution modes don't save buffer space, and actually reduce it and slow down buffer clearing.
  • (We're guessing this is true of all Nikon models, although we haven't tested it recently.) This was a bit of a surprise. We figured that the reduced-resolution modes wouldn't use as much buffer space, so you could get longer bursts when using them. It turns out that the buffer memory captures all the data coming from the sensor, and then the processor crunches it down before storing reduced-resolution data to the memory card. This means that there's no buffer-depth advantage with reduced-resolution modes, and it actually takes a bit longer for the processor to crunch the data before writing it to the card. (In fact, because the data is being cleared out of the buffer more slowly while shooting is going on, buffer capacity is actually somewhat reduced. -- Nikon said it was "only" 200 frames in DX mode :-0)
9) WOW, XQD cards can clear the buffer fast!
  • Given the huge buffer size on the Nikon D850, we wondered how long it would take to clear it to the memory card. The D850 supports the very fast XQD memory cards, so we asked how long it would take to clear the giant buffer when using one of them. After the necessary disclaimers that it depends on the speed of the particular card you're using, YMMV, etc, the Nikon engineers told us that they'd routinely seen the buffer clear to XQD cards in seven seconds(!) We'll obviously be checking this ourselves once we have a lab sample, but if true, this is really astonishingly quick, especially given the huge amount of data involved. Given its fast, capable AF system and this incredible clearing speed, the D850 looks to us like a serious option for sports shooters!
10) The new internal NEF-to-JPEG batch processing option is *fast*!
  • A new feature in the D850 is the ability to select a large batch of NEF RAW files, select the various tweaks and adjustments you want to make to all of them, and then have the camera convert them to JPEGs itself. Because it can use the camera's dedicated image processor to do so, it can do this many times faster than even a very capable desktop computer. Nikon advertised this as being "17x faster" than PC-based NEF conversion, but that begged the question of 17x faster than exactly what computer, with what software. We asked how long these conversions actually took, in terms of clock time. The answer was that 1000 images took 25 minutes to convert. Hmm, OK, 25 minutes sounds like a while, but doing the math, we realized that this amounted to only 1.5 seconds per image - that's seriously fast (!) 

• (A side note: We thought this might encourage more sports shooters to also shoot RAW format, but it turns out the Nikon engineers were thinking mainly of time-lapse users when they created the feature.)
11) The Nikon D850 uses a backside-illuminated (BSI) sensor, but not for the reason you might think.
  • The D850 uses the first backside-illuminated sensor in Nikon's DSLR lineup, but when we asked about it, it turned out the reason wasn't to provide better low-light performance (its pixels are big enough that there's not much gain in ISO speed by moving the wiring to the back of the chip), but rather to give more flexibility in the chip's wiring, to achieve the high speed they were after. Interesting...
12) The Nikon D850 should be a significant step up, in terms of high-ISO noise and image quality.
  • While they didn't attribute it to the BSI sensor, Nikon told us that the D850 should produce the same image quality (both JPEG and RAW) at twice the ISOs as the D810, a full-stop improvement. That is, the D850 at its top "native" ISO of 25,600 should deliver the same image quality as the D810 did at ISO 12,800. If true, that's a pretty significant improvement; we can't wait to get our hands on a sample to check it out!
13) Nikon designed the D850 sensor themselves.

• While Nikon contracts with a silicon foundry to actually manufacture the chips, Nikon confirmed that the D850's sensor is entirely their own design, vs. an off-the-shelf unit from a sensor manufacturer.
14) Nikon says dynamic range will be as good or better than that of the D810, despite the higher pixel count.
  • They've stated that there is no trade-offs to be made in balancing dynamic range at base ISO vs. higher ISOs, and that this sensor resolution represents the optimum balance for performance and image quality.
15) Adding the optional battery grip boosts the maximum shooting speed by 2 frames/second.
  • Nikon reports a change in voltage which allows an increase in overall shooting speed, allowing the shutter and mirror to move faster.
16) Focus-shift mode for bug photography :-)  
  • Based on demand from macro and insect photographers, the D850 now has a special focus shift mode. This directs the camera to shoot a number of images, shifting focus slightly between each one. The camera can't "stack" these itself, but it's easy to use focus-stacking software on your computer once the necessary shots are all captured. Talking to the engineers, some of them had apparently admired the ultra-closeup focus-stacked bug pictures seen around the internet, so just decided to build this feature into the camera. This was interesting to us, to think that the engineers just said "hey, this is such a cool effect -- let's help people do this!" -- rather than a more "corporate" approach of looking at market segments, holding focus groups, etc, etc. It seemed like a cool thing, wasn't hard to implement, so they just went ahead and built it into the camera.
17) Focus-shift settings decoded!  
  • Because focus and depth of field depends on the lens you're using and the distance to the subject, it's often confusing how large a step you should specify between shots, when using a feature like the D850's focus shift option to capture images for use in focus stacking. In the case of the D850, you can choose a number from 1 to 10, and we asked the Nikon engineers what those units corresponded to. The answer was that the finest gradation (a setting of 1) equates to a focus step equal to the lens focal length divided by 30. So with a 100mm lens, the smallest step would be a distance of 3.3mm, and the largest one 30mm.
18) Same gorgeous tilting touch screen monitor as the D500.
19) Electronic first-curtain option used in "Quiet Shutter mode," without requiring mirror lockup.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well some masshole won my money... so I still cant afford one
View Quote
I can tell you one thing it wasn't me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn you people.  Ordered a body, grip and 3 extra batteries..  I Can always sell it.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Damn you people.  Ordered a body, grip and 3 extra batteries..  I Can always sell it.  
View Quote
Once I come up with the money, I'll be in the same boat.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Fortunately, I have no use for the grip.

I did have to order memory cards, since I'm currently using CF cards with my D700.  And once RRS comes out with a L-plate, I'll have to buy that,too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you go whole hog and get the EN-EL 18b battery, charger, and door for the grip?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I can tell you one thing it wasn't me.
View Quote
That is a good cover denial, I'll IM my address to you and you decide what it is that will keep me quiet about your winnings
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I ordered the grip,  an 18b,  the door,  2 XQD, and 2 new SD UHS ii

I held off on the charger,  looking for alternatives,  but they are lacking.

There is an off brand wasabi charger for the 18b for like  60 bucks on Amazon and the reviews seem good. Not sure what I'll do.  350 for the dual bay Nikon is steep for a damn charger.

I'll decide in the next couple of days,  plenty of time before the body and grip ship.
View Quote
I bought the Wasabi charger off Amazon. I hope it works out, $360 is ridiculous for a charger.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Want.

Maybe I'll find a good used deal in 6 or 9 months.  It could happen
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Did you go whole hog and get the EN-EL 18b battery, charger, and door for the grip?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't yet.  I have a D500.  And a D700.  And a D3.  Gotta get rid of some toys first.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I found this one just now, seems like a direct clone of the Nikon, for $75

at Best Batt

also available on amazon

The DSTE is really small, which is nice, especially if you need to stick it in a bag to go.
The knockoff MH-26 is probably better if it is going to stay in one place.
And it is even cheaper to get both, than the branded Nikon.
View Quote
I've used DSTE clone batteries for my Canon EOS-1 Ds Mark III since I can't fine genuine Canon batteries any more for it at a reasonable price.  They work well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#37]
B&H is also having two live stream demonstrations on the D850, on the 28th, and 29th.

Details here.

The pixel peepers are already starting to criticize the D850 on other forums.  Complaints about how it will have too much noise, not enough dynamic range, the D810 is better, etc.  I knew it would happen, but damn, the camera hasn't even shipped yet.  What a bunch of weiners.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The pixel peepers are already starting to criticize the D850 on other forums.  Complaints about how it will have too much noise, not enough dynamic range, the D810 is better, etc.  I knew it would happen, but damn, the camera hasn't even shipped yet.  What a bunch of weiners.  
View Quote
People like that rarely get out there and take decent photos.

Freaking basement dwellers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I despise Nikon

-Skin tones looked like crap for years
-why tf is everything yellow?
-Aweful video capabilities
-high dynamic range at the expense of color accuracy
-Nothing to brag about cept megapixels
-the Sony a7R and a7Rii make Nikon completely obsolete

Yes Nikon had the best Dynamic range and megapixels in like 2007.....

But damn there's little reason to use a $2k D810 over a $50 used 30D
View Quote
I bet you're just a hoot at parties.............
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I despise Nikon

Probably not using Nikon to take pics.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I despise Nikon

Pffft.  Only neckbeards and hasbeens use Nikon.  I've totally turned my entire room into a camera obscura.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Too late. I turned my house into a camera obscura, then had the GF draw it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pffft.  Only neckbeards and hasbeens use Nikon.  I've totally turned my entire room into a camera obscura.  
Too late. I turned my house into a camera obscura, then had the GF draw it.

Probably using mass produced pencils.  I make my own charcoal sticks from dried and 10 year aged oak whiskey casks.   (Okay, I'm stopping before this gets completely retarded )
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Sold out already!

Glad I got my order in early.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
live stream started at 1Eastern

missed the beginning

click me
View Quote
I thought it was a pretty good, and casual review.

There is another live panel review  tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Preliminary reports showing DR isnt that much of an improvement over the 810.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Preliminary reports showing DR isnt that much of an improvement over the 810.
View Quote
But just about everything else is.

Doesn't matter......I'm buying it anyway!  

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top