BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$5200 includes a f/2.8 zoom lens.  The body is $2900.

But I'm not switching to Sony at this stage of the game.
View Quote
A very pricey lens too.

If Nikon can beat Sony, I'll jump.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Other news: 

D500 on sale for 
$100 off ($1900)
with 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED $2500 ($570 off) 

New D7500 kits
D7500 kits
with bag, SD card, and 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 ED $1880 ($120 off)
with 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED $1850 ($470 off) 

D750 $1800 ($200 off)
D7200 $1000 ($100 off) and arguably better than the D7500 on a few things.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.  From what I'm seeing, they might keep the D810 and D850 running at the same time.  The below is supposedly from Nikon Austria.  Basically a FX version of the D500.

• 10 fps (without battery pack)
  • Together with fast AF this will be a sports capable camera with 46 Megapixels resolution (appears to adopt something of the D500 concept for FX)
  • NOT compatible with MB-D12, there will be a new dedicated battery-pack
  • They expect the first samples to be available in October
  • Pricing will be about 1,000 Euros above the D810 which will remain available in parallel (D810 currently sells for EUR 2,149)
  • D850 will use EN-EL15 batteries but there is a new version out now (the third one) the EN-EL15a
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interesting.  From what I'm seeing, they might keep the D810 and D850 running at the same time.  The below is supposedly from Nikon Austria.  Basically a FX version of the D500.

• Together with fast AF this will be a sports capable camera with 46 Megapixels resolution (appears to adopt something of the D500 concept for FX)
  • Pricing will be about 1,000 Euros above the D810 which will remain available in parallel (D810 currently sells for EUR 2,149)
  • D850 will use EN-EL15 batteries but there is a new version out now (the third one) the EN-EL15a
View Quote
Just read something that the D850 is the rumored mini D5, and is based on the D5 not the D810.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just read something that the D850 is the rumored mini D5, and is based on the D5 not the D810.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's supposed to have the D5 AF module and processors in it, but bodywise it's not a mini D5.  Shame since I'd love to have one that has the battery grip built in, just not for the $6-7k price. 

We'll see soon though.  Then I have to sell a lot of blood and maybe someone else's kidney to fund it. 
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah I wish my laptop had a built in slot, so far I just plug the camera into the computer since with USB 3.0 it transfers pretty fast. It would certainly be easier to be able to just pull the card and plug it in rather than having to dig out a cable and have the camera sitting with me.
View Quote
When I got my one and only Lexar XQD card they had a deal with a free reader dongle.  Easier than the camera, but not as easy as a slot.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
  • New: the D850 LCD will have twice the resolution of the D810
  • New: slo-mo Full HD 120fps video
  • New: the SD slot will support UHS-II
  • New: improved LiveView split-screen display
  • New: improved silent shooting mode
  • New: improved battery life
  • New: lighter than the D810
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
8+ FPS

Sounds like a mini D5
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#10]
If this thing comes out at or under $4000, im going to fo, and fo hard.  

Over $4000, eh, with a new house, and a perfectly working D610, it's just not justifiable for me at this time.

Put me down as excited, but cautious.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
$3800 is my guess. Especially since it sounds like they might be keeping the D810 on as well. 
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Now I'm confused.... Whats your stance on Nikon?
View Quote
Do you really care?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:14:18 AM EDT
[#13]
New firmware is ready, a new bluetooth control was registered with the FCC with a release date of 9/30, and potentially another camera will be at the big announcement at the end of next month on top of the D850.

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Translate Nikon specification slides.

This thing is going to be a beast.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup it's going to blow minds. I'll post some stuff here in a bit. Just getting home, had a flat in the middle of nowhere, bear country today. 
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#16]
All I can say is holy fucking shit.   @Zack3g if you are getting rid of your D750 you'll want this.   I need to sell someone's kidney for one.  Built in and programmable focus stacking for macro would get your attention I think.
  • 45.75mp sensor (unknown if Sony backlit or not at this time, but likely given the shown low light performance)
  • 9fps full frame with the MB-D18 grip (I'm assuming because of the extra power draw?)
  • 5fps full frame otherwise, but varies on modes.
  • 51 image (14bit raw uncompressed) buffer
  • EN-EL18A batteries
  • Exspeed 5 processor
  • XQD and SD slots
  • 3.2" variangle 2.3mp touch LCD screen
  • 'more functions than D5 and D500 with the touch screen (no idea there)
  • full touchscreen operation with drag and scroll, vs set touch 'buttons' on the D5 and D500.  (Maybe that's what they meant on the last line?)
  • Liveview will have touch AF focus and shutter control (if you set it)
  • 8k timelapse
  • 4k video
  • no low pass filter 
  • ISO 64-25600 boost ISO 32 to 108,400
  • upgraded D5 AF system with some awesome stuff in other modes (I'll get there in a minute)
  • 0.75X magnification in viewfinder.  Highest of any DSLR ever apparently.  (It's still 100% sensor coverage, you just see it bigger is my take at least.)  Photo below shows it better.
  • 30% more AF coverage when compared to D810
  • Center AF point has a -4EV while the rest are -3EV range
  • Spot Area AF uses a zone 1/2 the size of a regular AF zone (although the photo shows 1/4, so it could be a mistranslated)
  • BUILT IN focus stacking software with up to 300 image blending.  Will start at nearest focal and work out.  Customization focus interval and shutter programming for it.  5FPS when program running.
  • Quiet shooting mode is live view electronic shutter only.  Advertised as no vibration or noise. 6fps if manual focus or AF-S used
  • 'super' mode for Quiet Shooting mode 30 fps with 8MP image (longest duration 3 seconds, DX mode, quality = normal, AF/AE fixed) (cut and paste the details)
  • enhanced face and scene recognition based off of and upgraded from D5
  • New Natural Light WB (basically target something red and it'll make sure they get more saturated I think is what they mean)
  • Scene recognition (if you have it on, I won't) apparently can soften portraits or tune WB for best colors in landscape
  • illuminated buttons
  • 3 different RAW sizes
  • New Multiple Exposure modes (no more details than that)

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It works out to about a 20mp DX crop mode.

So basically d500 size.

I have my focus stacking solution already but it can't be denied that's a hell of a camera.
View Quote
Fair enough, and I wasn't sure if the stacking mode was as huge as it sounded to me.  I knew you had a setup for it though.  Pretty sure my D7200 will be getting sold to fund one of these, provided I can make up the rest of the $$$
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All I can say is holy fucking shit.   @Zack3g if you are getting rid of your D750 you'll want this.   I need to sell someone's kidney for one.  Built in and programmable focus stacking for macro would get your attention I think.
  • 9fps full frame with the MB-D18 grip (I'm assuming because of the extra power draw?)
  • full touchscreen operation with drag and scroll, vs set touch 'buttons' on the D5 and D500.  (Maybe that's what they meant on the last line?)
  • 4k video
  • no low pass filter 
  • BUILT IN focus stacking software with up to 300 image blending.  Will start at nearest focal and work out.  Customization focus interval and shutter programming for it.  5FPS when program running.
  • Quiet shooting mode is live view electronic shutter only.  Advertised as no vibration or noise. 6fps if manual focus or AF-S used
  • 'super' mode for Quiet Shooting mode 30 fps with 8MP image (longest duration 3 seconds, DX mode, quality = normal, AF/AE fixed) (cut and paste the details)
View Quote
I saw this part and got confused:  "9 fps * (with MB-D18 + EN-EL18a) or 7 fps"
So, I get that the 9fps rate is with the grip, but is it 7 or 5 fps without the grip? Where does the 7 come from?

From the source article:
   "Focus adjusting system could offer you deeply stacked* picture
   * require software from other companies"

I interpret that to mean the D850 in focus stack mode will operate in a mode similar to bracketing where it will take a range of photos at different focus distance intervals as determined by the operator and continuing out to as much as infinity focus. Then you'll need to use Photoshop (or similar) to stack them into a final product. This does not sound like the D750's HDR mode where this is only available in JPEG mode and you get a single camera-processed image. If indeed we get all the raw files, this feature will be "yuge" for landscape and macro shooters.

The enhancements to the LiveView screen are appealing - and I like the continuous electronic shutter for quiet mode. That's a much better solution than what I get with the D750 - and I use the D750's tilt screen *very* frequently.

I also like the lack of an anti-aliasing/low pass filter. While rare for me, there have been times I've looked at fine detail in an image that I knew should have been sharper (focus spot on, clean lens with fast glass, no wind, tripod, M-Up, etc.) and wondered if that was the anti-aliasing filter's fault. Very rare, but it has happened and made me curious about the result had I used a D810.

If all these "rumors" are close to true, I know what I'm getting for my birthday (or Christmas, depending on actual release date).
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I can't even tell you who made mine. It came with the camera. It also has a reader.

I don't even fuck with the reader. I use the SD slot on the camera. Shoot on XQD, transfer to SD, import and process as usual.

Even less fiddling.
View Quote
Well goddam.  Never even thought of that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So, I get that the 9fps rate is with the grip, but is it 7 or 5 fps without the grip? Where does the 7 come from?

From the source article:

I interpret that to mean the D850 in focus stack mode will operate in a mode similar to bracketing where it will take a range of photos at different focus distance intervals as determined by the operator and continuing out to as much as infinity focus. Then you'll need to use Photoshop (or similar) to stack them into a final product. This does not sound like the D750's HDR mode where this is only available in JPEG mode and you get a single camera-processed image. If indeed we get all the raw files, this feature will be "yuge" for landscape and macro shooters.

The enhancements to the LiveView screen are appealing - and I like the continuous electronic shutter for quiet mode. That's a much better solution than what I get with the D750 - and I use the D750's tilt screen *very* frequently.

I also like the lack of an anti-aliasing/low pass filter. While rare for me, there have been times I've looked at fine detail in an image that I knew should have been sharper (focus spot on, clean lens with fast glass, no wind, tripod, M-Up, etc.) and wondered if that was the anti-aliasing filter's fault. Very rare, but it has happened and made me curious about the result had I used a D810.

If all these "rumors" are close to true, I know what I'm getting for my birthday (or Christmas, depending on actual release date).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  • 4k video
  • no low pass filter 

From the source article:

I took it as they were meaning that the camera did the focus stacking internally, not that it required extra software.  That said, I know fuckall beyond the barest basics of that kind of photography, so I'm not surprised if I fucked it up.

9fps with the grip, 7 in AF-S or M, or 5 in other AF modes is my understanding.  

And yeah, I'll be trying to figure out how to buy one regardless.  Figure it shoots almost as fast as a D500 with a grip on it (which is a given for me having) and is over twice the resolution, better AF, etc.  So it'll come out to less than if I bought a D810 and a D500.  That's a win for me.

Just need to sell someone's kidney for it. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks to be around $3600 for the body as expected, although we'll likely hear officially on that in the next week and a half IMO.

Amazingly it looks like it's about the size of a Df 

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting news tidbit. 

-Nikon is pushing harder into medical optics, which they are already a huge supplier for.
-They are paring down product lines to simplify production and supply.
-BUT are pushing for larger resolution, definition, dynamic range, etc.
-Nikon wants to head off 8k video and stills, so they are developing new lenses and sensors specifically for that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#25]
It's going to happen...  I only need one kidney, right?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's going to happen...  I only need one kidney, right?
View Quote
I know, right?  I'm dreading my camera/computer budget over the next few years.  $10k ought to cover it. 
  • D850
  • 24-70mm f/2.8
  • 70-200mm f/2.8
  • 200-500mm f/5.6
  • new computer with an i7 or i9 for gaming/processing photo/video
  • new tripod, head, plates, etc.
  • more lighting stuff
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Interesting news tidbit. 

-Nikon is pushing harder into medical optics, which they are already a huge supplier for.
-They are paring down product lines to simplify production and supply.
-BUT are pushing for larger resolution, definition, dynamic range, etc.
-Nikon wants to head off 8k video and stills, so they are developing new lenses and sensors specifically for that.
View Quote
How much can they crank out DR till they match the human eye?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#28]
It's a beast of a camera if the specs ring true and it performs to expectation.  I'm sure it will work well for some.

TBH, I'd prefer lower MP sensors with continued improvements in DR, noise, and high ISO.  Definitely a YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How much can they crank out DR till they match the human eye?
View Quote
Human eye can discern about 20 stops. Plenty of room to go in the digital camera market.

Although with camera raw post processing you can certainly recover amazing amounts of detail in the shadows.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I know, right?  I'm dreading my camera/computer budget over the next few years.  $10k ought to cover it. 
  • D850
  • 24-70mm f/2.8
  • 70-200mm f/2.8
  • 200-500mm f/5.6
  • new computer with an i7 or i9 for gaming/processing photo/video
  • new tripod, head, plates, etc.
  • more lighting stuff
View Quote
Ha, don't feel too bad. I look at the 1Ds MkII I paid $8k for, and laugh at how bad it is compared to today's cameras.  Definitely got my value out of it though
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like Thursday will be the release day.

Press Photos
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#32]
B&H have been taking pre orders for a few weeks now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#33]
B & H has a notification list (I'm on it), but I haven't seen a pre-order list.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
B & H has a notification list (I'm on it), but I haven't seen a pre-order list.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Yup my bad. Went back and it said not available for preorder at this time. Whoops.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#37]
What is attached to the camera in this photo?

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Same.

Looking forward to street price.

3600 - 3800 I'm foing
3800-4000 I'll probably fo
Over 4K and I'm going to sell the D810 first,  then fo.

Plus grip and batteries. My birthday is in September.  I know what's on my list
View Quote
I'll just sit here and dream lol... did I win powerball?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What is attached to the camera in this photo?

https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Nikon-D850-DSLR-camera8.jpg
View Quote
Looks like the external AC power adapter.  I can't remember the name of it, but basically you replace the battery with one end of unit A, and plug the other end of A into the power block of unit B, which plugs into the wall.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#40]
The leaked 'official' press release. 

My notes:
-Sony backlit sensor confirmed.
-Focus stacking does not need external software
-SD UHS II and XQD like the D500.  Personally I'd have preferred two of XQD, but that would save money in the long run for me IMO. 

Resolution: 45.7 megapixels of effective resolution. 45.4 MP files rich in detail. CMOS backlit sensor in full Nikon FX format and without low-pass optical filter.

Speeds: 7 fps or 9 fps when using the optional MB-D18 multi-power battery pack (with the EN-EL18B battery inserted).

ISO Sensitivity in Light: The powerful Nikon EXPEED 5 image processor delivers outstandingly sharp images in the ISO 64-25.600 range, expandable from 32 to 102.400 ISO (equivalent). The full ISO range is also available for 4K video shooting.

Accuracy: The same phenomenal 153-point Autofocus system of the Nikon D5 top range provides sensitivity up to -4EV at the center point (ISO 100, 20 ° C). Exposure measurement up to -3EV allows precise exposure even under conditions where the only source of light is lunar.

4K video with no clipping factor: Record full-size movies at 4K / UHD at 30p, without clipping factor limitations. Snap for over three hours using the MB-D18 multi-power battery pack.

Accelerated time-lapse movies in 4K directly "on the camera" but not only: in addition, the Nikon D850 uses its 45.7 megapixels to create fast and spectacular 8K post-production movies.

RAW format flexibility: Snaps into 45.4 MP RAW format (large size), 25.6 MP (average size), or 11.4 MP (small size).

In every room: thanks to its rugged body and ready to handle all weather conditions, the Nikon D850 is ready to resume in any kind of extreme environment. The same full-blinking light on the Nikon D5 guarantees ease of use even in the middle of the night.

Quick Store: The two-card slot drive allows you to use a SD UHS-II and an XQD for quick file save.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

that's alot of nonsense. Just use shims.

Digital is a complete waste of money unless you're making copious amounts of cash from it. Get yourself some analog gear and stop worrying about the latest gadgets
View Quote
No one needs an AR unless they are fighting a war. Get yourself a '03 Springfield and quit chasing all these new fangled gadgets.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Ordered!  

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, I'm going to need new memory cards, and a spare battery.  It's always something.

But it's only money.

Oh, and a XQD card reader, too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Whoa.....

It's no longer available for pre-order at B&H.   I wonder if Nikon told them to stop taking orders until the official announcement.

But I got the confirmation e-mail, so I guess I am good to go.

Edit:  Or maybe they are raising the price, already.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I need to live vicariously... hurry up!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
wonder what's going to happen
View Quote
They see how many preorders they had and bump the price 5 hundo. What a camera. I can not wait to see real world use out of them
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top