Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 7/6/2017 4:41:35 PM EDT
Considering Nikon unofficially announced that there are a lot of surprises coming this month, it could be an interesting few weeks.

First bit is from Nikon Rumors, the other from HMD Global, the guys that own Nokia.  Italics are Nikon Rumors, red is my comments on it.
Edit:  Apparently I cannot read without significant amounts of coffee in me.  I kept reading Nokia as Nikon.  <facepalm>

-A few weeks ago the French magazine "Chasseurs d'Images" published an interview with Benoit Dieuleveult, President of Nikon France. After some readers helped me with the translation (thanks), here are the most interesting parts of the interview:
  • Nikon has plenty "good quality sensors"  Yes, they do.  Then again, they are currently sourcing and modifying Sony sensors per their usual thing.  Seems like Sony sells Nikon their sensor designs after 2 years when they get another generation or two on the market.  IMO it may also be why Nikon hasn't made a true mirrorless to compete with Sony.  Unspoken thing maybe?  I'm looking forward to more stuff with the 3 layer backlit sensors that they just started putting in Nikon cameras.  They seem to make some awesome modifications to the Sony sensors.
  • They stopped the DL cameras because they were late (too late to stay competitive) That's unfortunately a given.  The earthquake destroyed the unit they were using to make these, so it would better to remodel than release a camera that was announced to be cutting edge, when it is outdated at the release date.
  • There will be important Nikon products release soon Duh.
  • They are working on a small camera to compete with smartphones (see updated translation below) See HMD Global post.  I don't think Nikon Rumors saw this at the time of their post.  I did message it to them a bit ago.
  • Nikon will not quit the camera business and they are spending a lot of money on research and development. This makes me happy.  A pissed off and market aggressive Nikon could be a very good thing for consumers/photogs.
  • Regarding the Nikon D820, an excellent advice to everyone: "Mais il vous faudra encore un tout petit peu de patience pour avoir plus de details!" (You must have a bit of patience for more details) <Let it begin.gif>
  • Regarding Coolpix camera: "R&D effort is geared toward markets with the greatest potential, which is the reason for significantly reducing the Coolpix product line" That said, they did put out an awesome one with a Sony 3 layer sensor a few weeks ago.
  • Regarding 100th anniversary: "As for all good celebrations, let us keep the moment of surprise!" <fanboi.gif>
-Nokia will build the phones with Nikon sensors and Zeiss glass.  Mind you, these are the guys that have built some really well reviewed phones.  Back in 2012 they made the  808 Pureview that had a 41mp camera but it could also oversample all the way up to 5mp for insane noise reduction.  In 2013 they did the Lumia 1020 upgraded that even more with stabilization, a f/2.2 lens, raw capture, etc.  So they aren't unfamiliar with the area.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I despise Nikon

-Skin tones looked like crap for years
-why tf is everything yellow?
-Aweful video capabilities
-high dynamic range at the expense of color accuracy
-Nothing to brag about cept megapixels
-the Sony a7R and a7Rii make Nikon completely obsolete

Yes Nikon had the best Dynamic range and megapixels in like 2007.....

But damn there's little reason to use a $2k D810 over a $50 used 30D
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I despise Nikon

View Quote
I needed a good laugh. Thank you. 
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well I think you can tell that I've worked mostly in bright light, low contrast environments, and printed nothing bigger than 24"

Also I pretty much never use autofocus cept simple center-point

(I know full well Nikons have the auto-focus-of-the-gods and do well in low light or fast shutter speeds)

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well I think you can tell that I've worked mostly in bright light, low contrast environments, and printed nothing bigger than 24"

(I know full well Nikons have the auto-focus-of-the-gods and do well in low light or fast shutter speeds)

View Quote
Now I'm confused.... Whats your stance on Nikon?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I missed the part where there was actually a teaser? although inflation killed my buzz, I am still using a D300 with a few AF lens. I always lusted after the $1200 lens and coudnt justify it for a hobby photog, now the good stuff is $2300. later.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:50:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I missed the part where there was actually a teaser? although inflation killed my buzz, I am still using a D300 with a few AF lens. I always lusted after the $1200 lens and coudnt justify it for a hobby photog, now the good stuff is $2300. later.
View Quote
There are plenty of sub $2300 lenses that are good.  As a hobby photographer, you don't have to buy the pro level lenses after all  Says the guy that just dropped $2000 on a lens. 
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nikon and Sony are the top 14 overall rated sensors in APS-C and FF, with the Canon 5d MK IV coming in at 15th, per DXO Mark.  Sony A7RII and Nikon D810 for first and second place.  In their 'portrait' (color depth) category, Canon is 21st again with the 5D MK IV, 35th or so on landscape (dynamic range) again with the 5D IV being their top, and 7th with the 1D X MKII on sports (ISO performance)

That's all manufacturers and all APS-C and FF cameras that DXO Mark has tested.  Canon hasn't really innovated in years, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#8]
waiting for the p900 replacement
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe they will catch Canon the marketplace.

Maybe.

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nikon and Sony are the top 14 overall rated sensors in APS-C and FF, with the Canon 5d MK IV coming in at 15th, per DXO Mark.  Sony A7RII and Nikon D810 for first and second place.  In their 'portrait' (color depth) category, Canon is 21st again with the 5D MK IV, 35th or so on landscape (dynamic range) again with the 5D IV being their top, and 7th with the 1D X MKII on sports (ISO performance)

That's all manufacturers and all APS-C and FF cameras that DXO Mark has tested.  Canon hasn't really innovated in years, unfortunately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea Canon sucks these days, which is a shame us they used to rock.

Im a HUGE Sony fanboy, I also like Panasonic.

I just never understood Nikon.

From what I can tell Nikon users are OBSESSED WITH DYNAMIC RANGE AT ANY COST

Every Nikon image I've seen has amazing dynamic range but aweful color.

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Nikon DX user here, D7100 & D5200.

I just recently purchased a Sony RX10-III, and I regularly use the 10K ISO, and it has way less sensor noise than my Nikons at the same ISO.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh, different strokes.....

Waiting to see what will replace the D810.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are plenty of sub $2300 lenses that are good.  As a hobby photographer, you don't have to buy the pro level lenses after all  Says the guy that just dropped $2000 on a lens. 
View Quote
exactly. I am a gun snob and several other things snob. I flat out cant afford to be a camera snob. and its (used to be anyways I gave up) pretty much canon for good mid level lens like their semi Pro F4 lens. and nikon for the higher end stuff, while both companies 18-55 level stuff is garbage.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Maybe.

View Quote

Like you said they're doing fine but I wish Canon would get their sensor act together. Canon ( 7D, 6D, 5D) series fit my hand like a glove and the controls feel more natural but I love the Nikon images. I don't have that many lenses any more so I would love to switch.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I just recently purchased a Sony RX10-III, and I regularly use the 10K ISO, and it has way less sensor noise than my Nikons at the same ISO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Those three layer sensors are a whole new level of wow.  While I don't know the witchcraft on how it works, the low noise at high ISO has to do with the backlit sensor.  Unfortunately the 'how' is beyond me.  Nikon is just starting to implement them into their cameras, so I'm crossing my fingers for the D820/850 reveal.  

Quoted:
Meh, different strokes.....

Waiting to see what will replace the D810.
You and me both. 

Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly. I am a gun snob and several other things snob. I flat out cant afford to be a camera snob. and its (used to be anyways I gave up) pretty much canon for good mid level lens like their semi Pro F4 lens. and nikon for the higher end stuff, while both companies 18-55 level stuff is garbage.
The entry stuff is passable for 90% of people that will just take it out to play with the kids or whatever.  The 'prosumer' lenses are largely where I stay, but that's because I sell prints, etc.  Unfortunately, I can't afford guns or ammo right now, otherwise I might have the same opinion.  The only reason I'm investing in gear is that I can make money with it.  

Crossing my fingers that I might potentially have a huge 'good news' announcement here soon.  Won't be the I'm free of the brain tumor and back to 100% or that disability is approved after 4 years, but I'm still crossing my fingers for this photo news.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Like you said they're doing fine but I wish Canon would get their sensor act together. Canon ( 7D, 6D, 5D) series fit my hand like a glove and the controls feel more natural but I love the Nikon images. I don't have that many lenses any more so I would love to switch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe.

If Canon doesn't get back to innovating, they're going to have their lunch eaten by Sony.  Considering Nikon is pissed off and wanting to push hard back into the pro photographer game, I am thinking the announcements in a few weeks could be the start of an offensive.  Sony's triple layer sensors in Nikon bodies (just started happening a few weeks ago) + Nikon glass will be a hell of a combo to beat.  

Personally I think there is some kind of deal behind the scenes. Obviously there is for the Sony sensors that Nikon modifies for some of their stuff, but I'm meaning more of Sony not making a DSLR and Nikon not making a mirrorless FF.  Agreement not to cross those lines and stay economic partners maybe?  
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If Canon doesn't get back to innovating, they're going to have their lunch eaten by Sony.  Considering Nikon is pissed off and wanting to push hard back into the pro photographer game, I am thinking the announcements in a few weeks could be the start of an offensive.  Sony's triple layer sensors in Nikon bodies (just started happening a few weeks ago) + Nikon glass will be a hell of a combo to beat.  

Personally I think there is some kind of deal behind the scenes. Obviously there is for the Sony sensors that Nikon modifies for some of their stuff, but I'm meaning more of Sony not making a DSLR and Nikon not making a mirrorless FF.  Agreement not to cross those lines and stay economic partners maybe?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe.

Sony A7ii is over 3k.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#18]
They are officially putting out a new mirrorless camera.  I'd honestly guess it is an update on the Df.  Full frame mirrorless in a SLR size body with F mount lenses.  Nikon also hinted at that they are potentially going to make lenses to fit other mirrorless cameras, although that could likely be a mistranslation.

Nikon is also pushing hard into having optically the best lenses.  Applying more/better coatings, better engineering, etc.  Sounds like they are also trying to streamline production on the optics side to me.  Would make sense though. 
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are officially putting out a new mirrorless camera.  
View Quote
Do you have a cite/source for this?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#20]
One wrong click and a long ass reply goes away.  Thanks, Chrome. 

TLDR version:

The President of Nikon did some interviews last week saying so.  Didn't say when, just that they are putting out a 'Nikonashii' (the feel/design/look/etc that makes it feel like a Nikon) mirrorless to compete with the medium/high end mirrorless and DSLR cameras.

Also that they are shifting some of their production into optics, as they want to try to blow everyone else out of the water inside the next 3-4 years in terms of optical quality.  Makes sense given that the new Arcrest filters are FL glass for only a couple bucks more than a B+W filter with way better optical qualities.  Their lithography division is the outfit that can do that work in house, so if they transfer some of it from making chipsets by paring down camera models, they could ramp up production on FL, nanocoat, etc coatings.

Not sure if they are sol-gel, CVD, or FTO process, but they should be able to do whatever version in house.  Simplify the optics pipeline and use the cost savings to put out high end glass for a mid end price.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I despise Nikon

View Quote
You do know you can set a custom white balance profile that should fix most of that.
I bought a still camera when I got my D3200. I am a photographer, not a videographer. Its just another cool thing my camera can do that I don't use.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sony A7ii is over 3k.
View Quote
That's about 3 D800s, right?

Or about 25 used D3200s.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 ED VR Lens Confirmed
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:40:09 AM EDT
[#24]
If I did video, I'd be really interested in this over my current 70-300 because of the stepper motors. For the $200 price increase, I'm kind of tempted for the better stabilization, weight, and closer focal distance.  We'll see what the reviews say.

Differences from the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IF ED 

-Better VR with 4.5 stops of stabilization
-lighter design and motors
-electronic diaphragm 
-0.25x reproduction with a minimum focus of 3.94' (old was 4.92')

Introducing the AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You do know you can set a custom white balance profile that should fix most of that.
I bought a still camera when I got my D3200. I am a photographer, not a videographer. Its just another cool thing my camera can do that I don't use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I despise Nikon

Yea I tried a custom WB on my bro's d5500 and it helped but still over emphasized anything even remotely yellow or green

White was white
Blue was yellow-blue
Green was yellow-green
Red was yellow-red

Etc....
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yea I tried a custom WB on my bro's d5500 and it helped but still over emphasized anything even remotely yellow or green

White was white
Blue was yellow-blue
Green was yellow-green
Red was yellow-red

Etc....
View Quote
Might have been a camera issue then.  I've had zero issues with color balance on my cameras, outside of spots that would be really hard to do.  Even then, it's a quick fix in photoshop.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Might have been a camera issue then.  I've had zero issues with color balance on my cameras, outside of spots that would be really hard to do.  Even then, it's a quick fix in photoshop.
View Quote
Some people love to pixel peep to the nth degree, they think it makes them seem more knowledgable.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought the big surprise was Tha Nikon was going bankrupt..
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:34:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought the big surprise was Tha Nikon was going bankrupt..
View Quote
They are nowhere near bankrupt, so that would be a no. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Nikon official statement to DPR regarding the mirrorless commentary:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9148147105/official-statement-nikon-currently-developing-new-mirrorless-cameras

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#31]
For me, I'll give whatever they put out serious consideration as long as they keep the F-mount.

That's what initially turned me off to the Nikon 1 series; a new mount.

Might be a tall order if they're trying to reduce body size, but a lot of people have a LOT of money invested in F-mount glass.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For me, I'll give whatever they put out serious consideration as long as they keep the F-mount.

That's what initially turned me off to the Nikon 1 series; a new mount.

Might be a tall order if they're trying to reduce body size, but a lot of people have a LOT of money invested in F-mount glass.
View Quote
From my (limited) understanding, it sounds like they'll be a modified F mount on the mirrorless.  That way they can take mirrorless specialized lenses, but still mount regular F lenses.  My guess is that it'll just be an engineering change on the F mirrorless lenses, so they'll have peak performance on a mirrorless, but unfortunately won't work on a DSLR.  But you could still plug F lenses in and run them as well.

At least that's what makes sense to me and from the little bits I've heard and read.  Grain of salt on this though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#33]
IMHO, keeping the F-mount flange distance is going to make the camera significantly deeper than the competition.  One of the reasons people go mirrorless is a reduction in size/ weight.  Nikon may be forced into making a decision similar to Canon back in the transition from FD to EF.

Simplest solution would be design the new body and flange on a new line of lenses.  Ship the body with a dedicated adapter with electrical contacts so G and newer lenses work seamlessly.  Older lenses would still mount, and could be used as other adapted lenses - manual focus and stop-down metering.  Third-party manufacturers would release adapters for other mounts and you'd be able to use a slew of other lenses if you wanted.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IMHO, keeping the F-mount flange distance is going to make the camera significantly deeper than the competition.  One of the reasons people go mirrorless is a reduction in size/ weight.  Nikon may be forced into making a decision similar to Canon back in the transition from FD to EF.

Simplest solution would be design the new body and flange on a new line of lenses.  Ship the body with a dedicated adapter with electrical contacts so G and newer lenses work seamlessly.  Older lenses would still mount, and could be used as other adapted lenses - manual focus and stop-down metering.  Third-party manufacturers would release adapters for other mounts and you'd be able to use a slew of other lenses if you wanted.
View Quote
I might be satisfied with a well-engineered, weatherproofed, factory adapter for existing f-mount lenses.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Bring back aperture rings!

I wish Nikon would've brought back the old F bodies for their 100th birthday and just put a full frame digital sensor in it. No LCD screen, no auto focus, no menus

KInd of like the Leica m-d
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#36]
or what the hell just release limited edition F bodies and the SP rangefinders with updated Nikkor glass coatings
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I might be satisfied with a well-engineered, weatherproofed, factory adapter for existing f-mount lenses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Valid point that I hadn't considered.  That would make things significantly easier as well.

Quoted:

I wish Nikon would've brought back the old F bodies for their 100th birthday and just put a full frame digital sensor in it. No LCD screen, no auto focus, no menus 

There is a rumor floating around that the Df2 might be the new mirrorless.  So SLR style mirrorless, and Nikon still makes lenses with an aperture ring btw.  They are doing a full frame mirrorless to compete with the high end DSLR and mirrorless cameras out there.  Would make sense if they did 2-3 models though.  So the mirrorless equivalents of the D7200, D750, and D810, or their respective replacements.

So a prosumer APS-C and FF, and professional level FF.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Valid point that I hadn't considered.  That would make things significantly easier as well.

There is a rumor floating around that the Df2 might be the new mirrorless.  So SLR style mirrorless, and Nikon still makes lenses with an aperture ring btw.  They are doing a full frame mirrorless to compete with the high end DSLR and mirrorless cameras out there.  Would make sense if they did 2-3 models though.  So the mirrorless equivalents of the D7200, D750, and D810, or their respective replacements.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Basically the same thing that Sony started with the Nex line and expanded into the Alpha line of cameras, ala, a5xxx, a6xxx, a7/9...

Smart move.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
Not saying it's not a good idea, but I haven't used an aperture ring lens in, well, better than 20 years.

Front command dial works great for me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not saying it's not a good idea, but I haven't used an aperture ring lens in, well, better than 20 years.

View Quote
you can implement both a dial and a ring. I refuse to buy these fly by wire lenses with no aperture rings or hard stops

Mechanical well designed lenses that are already corrected and don't require software profiles because the manufacture decides to cut corners
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
you can implement both a dial and a ring. I refuse to buy these fly by wire lenses with no aperture rings or hard stops

Mechanical well designed lenses that are already corrected and don't require software profiles because the manufacture decides to cut corners
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with and against you on that one.  Yeah it's a feature I'd like to see come back, but it adds cost to an already expensive hobby that only a small % of folks would care about.  Personally, I'd love Nikon to add flexibility to the lens profile software in the cameras.  Even if they were both built perfectly to tolerances, there would be corrections that need to be made.  Tolerance stacking makes every lens different on every body, so being able to input more than one focus correction and having the software extrapolate would be awesome.  Nikon stuff has been usually very spot on for me, but for example the Tokina 85mm f/1.8 was several points of back focus when compared to the Nikon one.

So take my 70-300mm for example (not that I've checked, so I'm pulling numbers out of my ass on here) if I entered a -3 adjustment at 70mm, +1 at 150, and +3 at 300mm, the software would come up with an adjustment curve.  Then that curve would pop up on the screen and ask for you to zoom to a given range and confirm the curve was correct.  That way it could actively detect and adjust front/back focusing no matter where you have the lens.  As it sits now, you enter an adjustment for whatever focal you use most and that's pretty much it.  This would allow each body (include it in prosumer and pro bodies) to max out sharpness and focus on every lens and zoom range they make.

Could technically be a firmware update, since it would just be adding a multi input spreadsheet with functions on the backend, where there is a single input static one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Per Nikon Rumors, these are what have been registered but not announced.  My guess is a D810, P900, possibly D750, and coolpix replacements.  Can't say I'm happy about the Chinese production though, BUT if it's at that crux of price point and quality, I won't complain too much.  Not to mention it can change since that's just registration stuff from who knows when.

N1546
  • Digital camera
  • Made in China
  • Wi-Fi, Bluetooth installed
N1608
  • Digital camera
N1622
  • Digital camera
  • Made in China
  • Wi-Fi, Bluetooth installed
N16F1
  • Remote controller
N16H0
  • Dot site for camera
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#43]
North,

Did the most recent recall of the shutter effect any of your cameras?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
North,

Did the most recent recall of the shutter effect any of your cameras?
View Quote
Nope, the D750 is pretty much the only one they make with that shutter.  Wasn't even a recall, just a voluntary service 'in case' thing.  Small % of cameras have that issue, as Nikon already put one production fix in.  Sounds to me like they got a bad batch from a supplier and just found out.

But, the D750 is the only one with that unit, so the odds are it'll be completely taken out of play with whatever replaces the D750.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm with and against you on that one.  Yeah it's a feature I'd like to see come back, but it adds cost to an already expensive hobby that only a small % of folks would care about.  Personally, I'd love Nikon to add flexibility to the lens profile software in the cameras.  Even if they were both built perfectly to tolerances, there would be corrections that need to be made.  Tolerance stacking makes every lens different on every body, so being able to input more than one focus correction and having the software extrapolate would be awesome.  Nikon stuff has been usually very spot on for me, but for example the Tokina 85mm f/1.8 was several points of back focus when compared to the Nikon one.

So take my 70-300mm for example (not that I've checked, so I'm pulling numbers out of my ass on here) if I entered a -3 adjustment at 70mm, +1 at 150, and +3 at 300mm, the software would come up with an adjustment curve.  Then that curve would pop up on the screen and ask for you to zoom to a given range and confirm the curve was correct.  That way it could actively detect and adjust front/back focusing no matter where you have the lens.  As it sits now, you enter an adjustment for whatever focal you use most and that's pretty much it.  This would allow each body (include it in prosumer and pro bodies) to max out sharpness and focus on every lens and zoom range they make.

Could technically be a firmware update, since it would just be adding a multi input spreadsheet with functions on the backend, where there is a single input static one.
View Quote
 that's alot of nonsense. Just use shims.

Digital is a complete waste of money unless you're making copious amounts of cash from it. Get yourself some analog gear and stop worrying about the latest gadgets
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

that's alot of nonsense. Just use shims.

Digital is a complete waste of money unless you're making copious amounts of cash from it. Get yourself some analog gear and stop worrying about the latest gadgets
View Quote
That is probably one of the funniest things I've heard about photography.    Digital has saved me a ton of money and my sanity.  I sure as hell can't afford to shoot 4-700+ rolls of film a year as a hobby.  Let alone what high ISO film would cost, or the fact that I can go from ISO 100 to 3200 in the span of 5 minutes shooting.

Digital lets me take better photos more consistently because it gets rid of the variances.  If I need ISO 7200, I spin a dial.  100?  Spin it the other way.  So long as I manage shutter and aperture, the camera doesn't care in the least.  Not to mention at the frame rates I need to shoot on occasion, I'd need to by a F3H, which is thousands of dollars anyhow, so it's a losing proposition.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#47]
how are you saving money if every 15 months you're buying a new kit that is 1-2 thousand dollars atleast? how is this even enjoyable when you're spending most of the time debating specs or rumor mongering instead of actually taking photos? looks to me as if you have a gadget fetish

digital cameras are a shit investment
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
how are you saving money if every 15 months you're buying a new kit that is 1-2 thousand dollars atleast? how is this even enjoyable when you're spending most of the time debating specs or rumor mongering instead of actually taking photos? looks to me as if you have a gadget fetish

digital cameras are a shit investment
View Quote
Because most people don't buy a new kit every 15 months.    The extreme majority of people just buy one and use it on occasion, just like film.  The only people that seriously upgrade at every opportunity are the pros or people that look for something specific in a camera.

Hell, I've been using my D7200 for over 2 years with no plans to replace it in the future.  Yeah, I'll be getting a full frame body at some point, but they'll each have their specific purposes.  I prefer to stick my money into glass that'll last a damn long time.

As for my posts here with rumors and whatnot, it's called an abundance of free time.  Kinda hard to get out and take photos as often as I like, or even anywhere near that, if I'm worshipping the porcelain god, laid up with a migraine, etc.  Brain tumors are a wonderful thing, aren't they.   So I have a lot of time to read.

Troll a bit harder, I know you want to. 
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top