Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2010 8:58:59 AM EDT
OK been shooting weddings for around 10 years and just got my big job! I will be going in two weeks to Tuscany Italy for around 5 days to photograph the wedding and activities! Last big job I got flown to cali for a Napa wedding and I thought that was cool.

I think I need a new bag for this trip. I am only going to take two bodies (5D's) 4 lenses (70-200 2.8L, 28-70 2.8L, 17-35 2.8L 15mm fisheye and maybe a fast 85) extension tubes for close ups. two 550 flashes, radio slaves, maybe light stand, charger, converter, and batteries.

right now I have a lowepro stealth reporter backpack that I use for Conus location weddings if I have to fly but we will be moving, walking and taking taxis and not sure I want a pack on

my wedding workhorses are my Tamerack 613 and Domke J1 back and also the satchel  (613 too big and Domke offers little protection)

I was tossing up the ideas of flying with the Stealth backpack and getting a think tank belt system to walk around in but then started looking at lowepro stealth reporter shoulderbags such as the 300-650

So what are some good bags to fly with and also carry all day?

thanks much
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever it is, fit everything you can on your carry-on. At least the bodies and lenses. What kind of insurance do you have on them if they're stolen or diverted? Can you rent or make do without your checked luggage?

Remember, plan for the worst and pray+hope for the best!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I would look at ThinkTank.

Have one of their backpacks and it's great. Much of their stuff is made exactly to carry-on specs as well.

I'll definitely check what they have in the future before looking elsewhere.

(And, if you look around, they usually have some referral codes for fee accessories, etc.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I would get a thinktank roll along.  Can't remember the model names but check them out.  They look like a normal rolling suitcase you'd use as a carry on but they are designed for photographers.  The thing you may not realize just from looking at them on the web is that they are secure.  All of the compartments can be locked and there's a built in bicycle cable type thing so you can attach at it to something solid and prevent the entire bag from growing legs and walking away.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I'd look at the Think Tank rolling camera bags.  High quality stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#5]
yea My Parnter is looking at the think tank

I guess my discontinued lowepro stealth reporter aw backpack is up the the small international flight size carry on specs. I am just going to use that and check everything else on.

desperately trying to find a think tank cable management 50 though to replace the removable laptop bag in my Lowepro
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
what a nightmare!
swiss air only allows a 17lb carryon!

good lord

the only way to get to that weight/size is to put them in a ultralight messenger bag with no padding

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
this is a perfect opportunity to buy some pelican cases.

also, expect to get questioned heavily at customs/immigration....you may need to a temporary EU work permit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top