Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/10/2006 4:39:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 4:39:27 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
Just picked it up yesterday. Very nice!
It is very different than the first one in a lot of ways, but also has a lot of similarities.

You no longer have designated spots to build. You can build anywhere, buy using the builder guys, who can be killed, but you can make more builder guys.
The only problem I am having with this is the builder guys going behind a building, and then I can't find the sucker to have him build more buildings. But over all I like the new building system.

Rather then breaking it down to Rohan and Gondor vs Mordor and Isengard, it is broken down into Men, Elves, Dwarves, and you fight Isengard, Mordor and Goblins, so you have 6 armies to choose from now instead of 4.

I have only done some skirmishes to get used to the game. But there are skirmish, good campaign, evil campaign and war of the ring modes. I am not sure yet what war of the ring is, but it looks interesting.

Dwarves are fun. You seem to have the ability to command more troops than in the first game. I had about 150 axe throwing dwarves reigning hell down on some goblins. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:43:37 AM EDT
Thanks for the review could you please rate the game on a 1-10 scale?

graphics?
sound?
replay value?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:18:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Slurm_Cola:

um. 8
From a pure battle game standpoint it is looking pretty darn good. Lots of characters. Lots of battles.
LOTR purists may get annoyed at new characters, now plots and battles, that may be in the unfinished tales or some of the other more obscure books, I don't know. Gandalf and Saruman are not the narrators anymore.

graphics? Very nice. more fluid than the first one. The only problem I am having is my hard drive. I don't have any RAID setup and the harddrives apear to be going nuts trying to load graphice fast enough. It is not affecting game play, just when the map is initially loading. I have a N6800XT AGP Vid card. But I only have 512 RAM on my mobo(I need to fix that).

sound? It's LOTR soundtrack, so of course it is awesome. Sound effects are nice too.

replay value? Probably good. I have only had it for one day.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 1:17:05 PM EDT by Ciph]

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
Just picked it up yesterday. Very nice!

The only problem I am having with this is the builder guys going behind a building, and then I can't find the sucker to have him build more buildings. But over all I like the new building system.

Great game! I'll even give it a 9. I'm really liking the elves and the goblins.

As far as the builders you can always double click the builder icon at the bottom of your screen. Another option is to make a macro for them. Just hold control and another key (say like 1-9) and whenever you hit that key it will select them.

Originally Posted By Slurm_Cola:

graphics?
sound?
replay value?

Graphics-about par with AOEIII (the boats and water effects are nice)
Sound- good (as far as I can tell with my screwy sound setup)
Replay- High (has a command and conquer feel to it)
Top Top