Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 10:47:23 AM EDT
The best Tank Sim Ever (Steel Beasts) is a little old. So what ESim have done is taken the code that the various military customers paid for and converted it into something for the public domain. ProPE.

Now, this is not a mass-market game. That will be SB2, when it comes out. For starters, it costs $125, which is a lot. (Then again, compared to things like subscription games, or the IL2-Aces-Pacific series, isn't too bad). It doesn't have a campaign. It ships with about two dozen scenarios (Expect the community to make more available quickly). It's still lacking a little in eye candy, though infinitely better than SB1.  It's directed primarily at real tankers, and those who have a hell of a hard-on for tanks.

Screenshots and demo videos at www.steelbeasts.com

SB1 was easily the best value-for-money game I ever bought. (Play hours per dollar).

NTM
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  I've enjoyed the addon for Operation flashpoint for AFV's and IFV's.  Actual Tank sims seem to be scarce.  Where could one purchase Steel Beasts?  How long until SB2 comes out?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]
SB1 (SB Gold) has been out of production a while. Ebay or the bargain bin of your store are about your only chances now.

SBProPE (The $125 one) is available now at esimgames.com, I believe. Either that or steelbeasts.com

SB2 won't be out for the better part of a year yet, I don't think. That's speculation, however.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
This just came out. On the SB forum they are talking about it (those that aren't playing).

I'm debating between SB Pro and SB2. I hear SB2 might me "gimped" for "balance". hrm.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:12:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nice.  I've enjoyed the addon for Operation flashpoint for AFV's and IFV's. Actual Tank sims seem to be scarce.  Where could one purchase Steel Beasts?  How long until SB2 comes out?

Where can I get that add-on?

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
www.diesimfanboi.com/software/bard/sbprope.htm

Is the first review of the sim. Well, 'preliminary overview' is more like it, he's only had it a day or two.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
wow.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
In depth (Very long) review at Tanksim

NTM
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The new engine looks good. The original SB impressed me, but it also struck me as being so realistic that it was more work than fun to play it. The crappy graphics didn't help matters. They've solved the latter problem. I wonder if the engine could be adapted to ww2 tanks and warfare. That is my real area of interest when it comes to armored warfare. I spent many happy hours playing SSI'sPanzer Commander and I've been looking forward to a new ww2 tankdriving sim ever since.

Galland
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top