Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2006 7:14:02 PM EDT
While I was playing on the server with you guys tonight my wife was getting ready to go out with her friends for her birthday.

I got up to go walk her out and somehow my friggin headset mic had got the cord stuck on my foot/show.

I got up and yanked the fucker clear out of the computer. Tore the damn mic jack right off the cord.

And I jsut bought that damn thing :(

I think I'll just got get some cheap ass desktop mic this time. Probably have more luck with it not getting destroyed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:18:16 PM EDT
re solder it back together. as long as the jack in the computer is OK, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:30:11 PM EDT
I'll see what I can do. It's some kind of red wire surrounded by bare copper. not sure it it's a fiber optic or what?

And I'll need to get a soldering iron...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:42:01 PM EDT
The red wire needs to be soldered to the red wire, and the outside copper needs to be soldered and insulated from the red wire. They didn't put insulation on the second copper wire, but it should be a two wire system.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:27:55 AM EDT
That sucks! If you can't fix it, Wallyworld has desktop mics for $10.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:23:25 AM EDT
Desktop mics suck! We can always tell who has a desktop mic when we play. You hear a lot more background noise and typing, etc.

Resolder it back on. I routed my headset cord next to my monitor using a sticky pad and a zip tie loosely tied. Just keeps the cord away from chairs and any animals :)

-d
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:44:56 PM EDT
hehe I'll tryto scare up a cheap solder this week and get it fixed. Mmight be able to borrow one Tuesday if I'm lucky.

Yeha, I'll keep my feet and chair away from it, no animals unless you count my daughter
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:23:49 PM EDT
Mics are cheap. I've been using my original SOCOM PS2 headset the came in the box. If you go to a Gamestop or EB you may find a used one for dirt cheap. They weigh near nothing so I hang mine around my neck. Let the output audio come from the speakers and you're set.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:46:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 6:46:14 AM EDT by Kharn]

Originally Posted By dizza:
Desktop mics suck! We can always tell who has a desktop mic when we play. You hear a lot more background noise and typing, etc.

thats me!
I'd use a headset, if they made one that just hung off my neck or ear without a headphone attached, since I have surround sound speakers. Or if I could set it to have the voice coms go through the motherboard's onboard sound card (and thus into the headset) and the rest go through the SoundBlaster to the speakers.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:03:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ciph:
Mics are cheap. I've been using my original SOCOM PS2 headset the came in the box. If you go to a Gamestop or EB you may find a used one for dirt cheap. They weigh near nothing so I hang mine around my neck. Let the output audio come from the speakers and you're set.

I had bought a cheaper Logitech internet comms headset. I usually wear it around my neck and have the audio coming from my surround speakers.

Unfortunately when I got up to go answer my wifes question or whatever, the damn cord had wrapped around my shoe or something and was ripped straight out of the computer.

Got a Soldering iron coming over to the house tomorrow so I'll try to get it done then :D
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:25:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Kharn:

Originally Posted By dizza:

thats me!
I'd use a headset, if they made one that just hung off my neck or ear without a headphone attached, since I have surround sound speakers. Or if I could set it to have the voice coms go through the motherboard's onboard sound card (and thus into the headset) and the rest go through the SoundBlaster to the speakers.

Kharn

I used to use a full surround set of speakers, but gave up on them. I just use a headset, the sound is 3D and I can tell from which direction fire is coming from essentially. I'd suggest getting a USB headset, that way you can run it seperately from your sound card.

-d
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:44:37 PM EDT
Radio Shack will also have y-splitters for the mini-jacks. So that you can plug in a headset and your speakers at the same time.

I use one of the big suckers. Sony Karaoke microphone. It's just something I found stuffed in a drawer..when my last PC mic went kaput.

I have some gaming headsets, but the mic/speaker quality just plain sucks on the ones I have.

Since, I play semi reclined in the chair with keyboard on the lap, feet on top of desk, mouse on desk, and the mic just lays on my chest or I'll tuck it underneath my shirt so it won't roll off.

Get's complicated, when the cat wants to lay on my lap and sleep. She gets in the way sometimes. She has killed a few of the guys (two I believe) here, when she acidently steps on the fire key. lol I should create an account for her: :"Tac Rellik"
Top Top