Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/7/2006 7:21:23 PM EDT
I'm traveling more for work now and am considering getting a portable system to while away the time spent in the airport and on planes. The two that I've seen for sale are the DS and the PSP. I played the DS some at WalMart and it had a bit of an unfair advantage because I'm a Mario Kart fan from waayyy back, like 1994. I haven't had a chance to play the PSP, but it's twice as expensive. It does seem to have alot more flexibility, apparently I could read and post to ARFCOM on it and load my mp3's on it. One plus for the DS is the dual screens and the fact that they fold, which should protect them from scratches. The PSP screen is always on the outside. I'd really like to avoid buying some sort of accessory case if I could. Movie watching on the PSP is something I probably wouldn't bother with, I don't want to add another format.
Anyone own either of these and have any input?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 1:33:36 PM EDT by ic_guerrero]
I have the PSP and love the game play and the mp3 player part of it. Its a good system if you can afford the games and the movies. If you just plan to use it at the airport or when traveling, then just stick to the DS for the sake of saving some money. I mainly got the PSP for the game play and play it weekly, not just when I'm traveling.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:28:52 PM EDT
Another vote for the DS here.
As an added bonus the DS can also play Game Boy Advance games.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:48:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 10:47:04 AM EDT by MauserMark]
I have both. Both have the pluses and minuses.

DS

pros:

- Touch screen capability is just well "cool"
- Mario Kart on the DS is one of the best if not the best of the Mario Kart series, and the multiplayer over wireless online (just find a wireless access point) is damn addictive
- Metroid Hunters is about to come out which should be killer single player or multi over the net as well
- Mario DS is fun as well, single player only
- Plays any Gameboy Advance game. Very cool feature, I have a lot of GA games, so this backward's compatibility comes in handy
- LONG battery life, maybe a day at least, I'm not sure, but I've honestly never had the battery go out or tell me it's low. (the PSP on the other hand uses juice much faster)

cons:

- Other than the games described, not a huge assortment of titles.
- Graphics are on par with the Nintendo 64, where as the PSP in my opinion has far superior graphics.
- No online browser. Would be ideal to have since it has 2 screens, the touch screen could be used as the keyboard for the browser.
- Games are super small, wafer thin, easy to lose if you're not careful.
- MAKE SURE ON EITHER YOU GET SCREEN GUARDS The DS's screens like the PSP will over time develop annoying scrapes that could eventually ruin the enjoyment of the system. I bought the screen guards (shields/covers whatever you want to call them) at the same time I bought the DS.
- Controls aren't the best. There's no analog stick and on games like Mario Kart this would truely help, but the game is still fun none-the-less.
- Biggest drawback again though is the small amount of good games out, maybe only a few, and no way to play movies or anything like that. Not even a personal organizer built in (how hard would it have been for them to have added that to it's OS?)

PSP

pros:

- Games that are good (there's a few bad ones) are f$#$in awesome. The sports games are a lot of fun.
- Graphics are SUPERB.
- Can play Burned DVD's copied to the memory sticks, or buy some UMD's (only one I have is Black Hawk Down, and that's all I need)
- Online feature is a huge plus. The browser is limited but still cool, none the less.
- Did I say games? SOCOM is one of the best, the online play is awesome, and you can buy the voice headset to talk during combat.
- The Sound is superior in my opinion to the DS, although the DS' sound system is pretty good as well.
- The look of the PSP is cool, it's more comfortable than the DS.
- Has an analog stick as well as the digital directional buttons.
- Can store MP3s, movies, pics

cons:

- analog stick is not the best design. Looks like they sell aftermarket replacement knobs for the analog stick that might improve it's use, but sometimes I get annoyed with it playing SOCOM, because I feel it's too small (the standard knob).
- Battery lasts maybe 5 hours? I know it says, 8, it might be between 5 and 8, but constantly playing or especially constanly playing the UMD movies which are constantly spinning bring down the battery life more. I'm able to watch Black hawk down maybe 2 times in a row before it gives me a battery warning.
- If you want to burn DVDs and put them on your duo stick, you'll have to cough up another $100 for a gig stick.
- Bulkier than the DS, thus harder to carry in non-loose pant pockets. I suggest the Mad-Cats small backpack that holds everything for the PSP. Now if you have a briefcase you take to work or a back pack, then there's no worries, but if you're just on the go, you'll need something to carry it in, unless you wear very baggy pants.
- Expensive. With everything you'll want, headphones, SCREEN SHIELD (DON'T FORGET ABOUT THIS), UMD's, games you'll wind up spending over $300 easily when you buy it.
- Screen scratches VERY EASILY. Supposedly sony will replace the screen plate, if you send it back in with a lot of wear, but it costs something, I'm not sure what, so buy a screen shield (about $6).
- Almost every PSP has a few "dead pixels." This is the comment from Sony. Some have a few, some have more than a few, Sony says something around 7 is normal. Anything above that they claim they'll replace the LCD. Mine has about 4. You'll only see them when the screen is completely dark/black. No big deal, but it bothered me when I first bought it.

hope this helps.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:54:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 7:14:41 PM EDT by HRoark]
Good review MM, thanks.

I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get a PSP this weekend. The three hours I spend on the train everyday can get boring, this should give me something to do.

Couldn't wait til the weekend. Bought a PSP and SOCOM.

This thing is great!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:19:58 AM EDT
Good choice.

I prefer the PSP over the DS only because of the online capabilities and lack of titles for the DS, but I'm sure when Metroid comes out I'll be using the DS much more.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:51:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:46:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HellioN:

The DS is still good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:00:29 AM EDT
DS has some really good games. plus it can play all the GBA games too.

That is a lot of games to pick from.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:13:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MauserMark:

The DS is still good.

Their is still hope!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:06:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 12:03:29 PM EDT by MauserMark]

Originally Posted By wedge1082:

for GBA games yes, for DS games that take advantage of the DS' graphics system and online capability, no.

But if you want to just play GBA games, the GBA sp is a much better choice, as the DS is much bigger, and controls, in my opinion aren't any better.

For the DS it's all about Metroid. If that's a flop, the DS will fail and nintendo will have a new handheld within a year.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:50:18 PM EDT
Thanks for the input guys, if I can ever stop buying guns and hunting stuff I'll get a DS. From MM's review, it sounds like the PSP just has too many features that I won't really use. Also, I positively hate playing a FPS with a analog stick or worse yet the 4-way pad so I wasn't even planning on buying any FPS's for it. Mario Kart would keep me occupied for a long time and if Metroid is good (and not impossible like the very first one) then it could be very cool.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:17:43 AM EDT

for GBA games yes, for DS games that take advantage of the DS' graphics system and online capability, no.

But if you want to just play GBA games, the GBA sp is a much better choice, as the DS is much bigger, and controls, in my opinion aren't any better.

For the DS it's all about Metroid. If that's a flop, the DS will fail and nintendo will have a new handheld within a year.

Or not...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:25:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 6:53:51 AM EDT by MauserMark]

Or not...

what's your point.

DS sales have done bad ever since the PSP showed up. Most have already considered it a flop. Look at the games they're putting out for this thing. Horrible. Like I said, Mario Kart and Metroid are going to be the biggest titles out for this handheld, Mario Kart did good, but I'm not sure how well. Metroid should do good as well. But in sales, I think the PSP has the DS beat by far. Nintendo never seems to get the clue when it comes to new trends in games. They never wanted the GC to be online, and is the revolution online? One would only hope. Nintendo's days are numbered sadly (and they've always been my favorite gaming console)

on a side note, True Swing Golf looks like it would be a good title, if you're into golf games.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:28:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JimTh:
Thanks for the input guys, if I can ever stop buying guns and hunting stuff I'll get a DS. From MM's review, it sounds like the PSP just has too many features that I won't really use. Also, I positively hate playing a FPS with a analog stick or worse yet the 4-way pad so I wasn't even planning on buying any FPS's for it. Mario Kart would keep me occupied for a long time and if Metroid is good (and not impossible like the very first one) then it could be very cool.

Most of us who have the DS probably have the Metroid Hunters demo. It lets you play 2 simple levels and lets you do a multiplayer death match. Of course only adhoc. The controls are very strange. You have to use your thumb in conjunction with the thumb strap on the touch screen. So imagine having a small touch screen. Where ever you move your thumb, that changes your aim. You use the Directional pad to move. Kinda strange, takes some getting used to.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:33:38 AM EDT
So Metroid for DS is a FPS? Blech.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:37:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 1:39:14 PM EDT by wedge1082]

Or not...

what's your point.

DS sales have done bad ever since the PSP showed up. Most have already considered it a flop. Look at the games they're putting out for this thing. Horrible. Like I said, Mario Kart and Metroid are going to be the biggest titles out for this handheld, Mario Kart did good, but I'm not sure how well. Metroid should do good as well. But in sales, I think the PSP has the DS beat by far. Nintendo never seems to get the clue when it comes to new trends in games. They never wanted the GC to be online, and is the revolution online? One would only hope. Nintendo's days are numbered sadly (and they've always been my favorite gaming console)

on a side note, True Swing Golf looks like it would be a good title, if you're into golf games.

Last I saw (and that was this week) DS is kicking PSP's ass.

Nintendo has made mistakes in the consols, but they know there shit in the handhelds. Hell GBA outsold PSP over Christmas.

For my money I bet that PSP is going to be the one that is a flop.

eta. Oh and Rev is Wifi out of the box and you will be able to download any game that Nintendo has made for NES SNES or N64, and play it on the Rev.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 6:03:59 PM EDT by MauserMark]
No doubt the GBA has been the best selling handheld of all time. I can't remember what the numbers were but they were pretty insane. You may be right about the sales of DS vs. the PSP, I'll look it up. I just remember the few people I know who work at a gamestop has said once the PSP came out, they sold very few DS systems, and were sold out of PSP systems for a long time. Over the weekend I went to find a few accessories for the PSP at best buy and then target, both were sold out of PSPs and memory cards. There were plenty of DS systems however.

The psp is probably to expensive for most, I think that's why it hasn't sold as much. It's a system that offers much more though.

I would like to get one of the new GBA systems. I saw one at BestBuy the other day, the screen quality is amazing.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:03:07 PM EDT

im sure they will port a zelda to it then id have to get one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:45:28 AM EDT

Or not...

what's your point.

LoL.
Top Top