Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 4:40:05 AM EDT
In the game Ravenshield, the Desert Eagle in 357 Magnum is rated for the same controllability/recovery as the SIG P228 in 9mm.

I find it hard to believe considering 9mm is fairly mild and tame to use in real life. My Glock 17 is slightly larger than a SIG P228 and isn't that bad. Can we chalk this up to being a "video game" thing, or is the 357 Magnum really that tame?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In the game Ravenshield, the Desert Eagle in 357 Magnum is rated for the same controllability/recovery as the SIG P228 in 9mm.

I find it hard to believe considering 9mm is fairly mild and tame to use in real life. My Glock 17 is slightly larger than a SIG P228 and isn't that bad. Can we chalk this up to being a "video game" thing, or is the 357 Magnum really that tame?

Taking stock in ANYTHING found in a video game is nothing short of ignorant, but I'll throw a 'real life' spin on your question regarding felt recoil between the Desert Eagle and Glock 17, as I've own/owned both.

The weight of the Desert Eagle (4.75 lbs empty) in addition to it's stationary barrel (gas operated slide) keeps the 357 Magnum recoil minimal.  The Desert Eagle is one of the only semi-auto platforms for the magnum cartridge.  It's design keeps even the 44magnum and 50 Action Express cartridge tame.

Comparing the Desert Eagle to a Glock 17 is comparing apples to oranges.  IE if you put both rounds into 4" revolvers....there would be a very noticable difference in felt recoil.

So...

When you plug into the matrix tonight, know that the 'controllability/recover' factor is relatively close.  Boils down to the gun's mass and operating system.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#2]
make sure to yell "BOOM! HEADSHOT!" whenever appropriate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taking stock in ANYTHING found in a video game is nothing short of ignorant, but I'll throw a 'real life' spin on your question regarding felt recoil between the Desert Eagle and Glock 17, as I've own/owned both.

The weight of the Desert Eagle (4.75 lbs empty) in addition to it's stationary barrel (gas operated slide) keeps the 357 Magnum recoil minimal.  The Desert Eagle is one of the only semi-auto platforms for the magnum cartridge.  It's design keeps even the 44magnum and 50 Action Express cartridge tame.

Comparing the Desert Eagle to a Glock 17 is comparing apples to oranges.  IE if you put both rounds into 4" revolvers....there would be a very noticable difference in felt recoil.

So...

When you plug into the matrix tonight, know that the 'controllability/recover' factor is relatively close.  Boils down to the gun's mass and operating system.

It is a Tom Clancy video game

The weight difference makes sense, the DE's are large and heavy pistols compared to a compact SIG P228 or Glock 17.

I saw the video clip of the guy playing CS, that's just out of control. I play for 15-20 min until it gets boring and I leave. RvS isn't as high speed as CS.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Also helps if you can hold the Desert Eagle with two hands...unless it's chromed, then obviously, it's gangland style....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot a .44 DE, and felt recoil was about like a Glock 21.  I wouldn't be surprised if a .357 DE was about like a 9mm.  Big bang, lots of flash, but not much recoil.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:13:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also helps if you can hold the Desert Eagle with two hands...unless it's chromed, then obviously, it's gangland style....

Since RvS is a "tactical shooter" where you're basically JBTs, then yes, it's held with 2 hands (isoceles apparently)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I shot a .44 DE, and felt recoil was about like a Glock 21.  I wouldn't be surprised if a .357 DE was about like a 9mm.  Big bang, lots of flash, but not much recoil.

Truth is the 357 Magnum cartridge just barely has enough 'oomph' to cycle the action on the Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for answering my question! I guess Tom Clancy did do his homework
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually, a few years ago Clancy was answering some questions (on C-span, I think) and he was asked about one of his video games. He basically said he doesn't have much to do with them past the basic story line. Either way though, they must have someone doing their homework. Raven Shield is the best game ever as far as gun content goes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1
Lot of weight on the "Deagle"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, a few years ago Clancy was answering some questions (on C-span, I think) and he was asked about one of his video games. He basically said he doesn't have much to do with them past the basic story line. Either way though, they must have someone doing their homework. Raven Shield is the best game ever as far as gun content goes.

I didn't know that! He has an easy job then. Maddox figured out the Tom Clancy formula

+1 on gun content. There are some quirky things but the attention to detail on some of the guns is absolutely amazing. The Glock 17 in iron wrath looks and operates almost like the real thing, except for the bling bling chrome parts
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I was born to play FPS! *Head twitch*
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top