Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Running HOSAS, this game is a blast
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Been playing a few hours with an Xbox One controller.

Game's awesome, but I'm bad at it.

My gaming setup is with my PC connected to the TV in the living room, and a fold up table with wireless mouse, kb and controller for whatever games I'm playing. I don't really have enough room to dedicate to a desk/monitor. That said, what would be my best bet for getting an okay VR and/or HOTAS setup for not a lot of money?

I like the look of the Oculus Rift S and the fact that it doesn't need sensors around the room, and am thinking of just getting the HOTAS later when they are available.

Should I look at the other VR options, or just go with the Rift S?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok the rift S rocks, I downloaded it from origins and it worked great.

Hopefully I can get a refund from steam as I couldn't get the VR to work.

Played for two hours and didn't get motion sick at all, way better than the PSVR.

Such a great day, finally have my own x wing VR, a kids dream come true,

All for $2300 (VR and laptop) best thing is I can carry it all in two hands to include the Flight controller.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 4:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been playing a few hours with an Xbox One controller.

Game's awesome, but I'm bad at it.

My gaming setup is with my PC connected to the TV in the living room, and a fold up table with wireless mouse, kb and controller for whatever games I'm playing. I don't really have enough room to dedicate to a desk/monitor. That said, what would be my best bet for getting an okay VR and/or HOTAS setup for not a lot of money?

I like the look of the Oculus Rift S and the fact that it doesn't need sensors around the room, and am thinking of just getting the HOTAS later when they are available.

Should I look at the other VR options, or just go with the Rift S?
View Quote

Honestly, if I were going with an oculus headset, the new Quest 2 with link cable would be the better option than the Rift. Better resolution and has an IPD adjustment. Also better support. Also Fantastic price. The Rift is more or less dead, Facebook is throwing everything behind the Quest.  

Option 2, the new HP G2 that is coming out soon. Best resolution on the market with eye tracking and best headphones (same as valve index). This one will cost you however.

Option 3 valve index.  Still considered the best over all headset. Really good resolution, best headphones, best controllers, best FOV and best refresh rate. Will also cost you.

Those are the only 3 headers worth considering at this time.  

For HOTAS, the mid range Thrustmaster would be the best bet. I personally run a X52 Pro. I got it for Elite Dangerous.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Reason why I got my VR headset, still running good this far.

My son loves it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
X-Wing vs TIE fighter 2.  I like it a lot.  Probably one of the best Star Wars games to come out in a long while.

I hope they add more ships, maps and missions with DLC.  Would like to see the Skipray Blastboat, TIE Defender, Advanced TIE, B-wing, Z-95, and XG-1.  Some more AI battles against different Capital ships.  Assualt Frigate, and Victory class Star Destroyer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried playing for 45 minutes before I returned it.  Took forever to click on anything with the mouse in VR cause you can't see the pointer.  It doesn't recognize any of my  Virpil hot as,  followed a bunch of youtube videos but nothing worked.  My reverb also kept restarting every 15 minutes,  which it doesn't do for any other games.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Honestly, if I were going with an oculus headset, the new Quest 2 with link cable would be the better option than the Rift. Better resolution and has an IPD adjustment. Also better support. Also Fantastic price. The Rift is more or less dead, Facebook is throwing everything behind the Quest.  

Option 2, the new HP G2 that is coming out soon. Best resolution on the market with eye tracking and best headphones (same as valve index). This one will cost you however.

Option 3 valve index.  Still considered the best over all headset. Really good resolution, best headphones, best controllers, best FOV and best refresh rate. Will also cost you.

Those are the only 3 headers worth considering at this time.  

For HOTAS, the mid range Thrustmaster would be the best bet. I personally run a X52 Pro. I got it for Elite Dangerous.
View Quote
Yeah after looking around more last night, I'm pretty set on the HP G2. It's got all the right features and I'll pay extra for them. Valve helping with the design and not being a Zuckerprodukt is icing on the cake.

I just really want to avoid base stations around the room because my living room is where I'll be using it, and it spends all day being the territory of my special needs daughter, then converts to a living/gaming room after bedtime.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tried playing for 45 minutes before I returned it.  Took forever to click on anything with the mouse in VR cause you can't see the pointer.  It doesn't recognize any of my  Virpil hot as,  followed a bunch of youtube videos but nothing worked.  My reverb also kept restarting every 15 minutes,  which it doesn't do for any other games.
View Quote
The one I downloaded from steam wouldn't work in VR on my Rift S so I downloaded a copy from Origin.

Orgin version has been problem free thus far, steam even gave me a refund for the other one today.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The preselects for a HOTAS on this is just horrible. Fuck if I know where button 37 is

Only wore VR for the first mission. Aftee that, shit got a little too fast-paced and my eyes started hurting a bit.

Good game so far, but only played about 2 hrs of story
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The preselects for a HOTAS on this is just horrible. Fuck if I know where button 37 is
View Quote

Yeah its a mess. They bound the damn throttle lever to a slider button on my X52 Pro. I wonder what HOTAS they based the bindings off of?  IIRC they listed all the HOTAS supported, but I think they only used one for the bindings. They should have added an option in the control menus to select with HOTAS you have of the game can’t detect it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah its a mess. They bound the damn throttle lever to a slider button on my X52 Pro. I wonder what HOTAS they based the bindings off of?  IIRC they listed all the HOTAS supported, but I think they only used one for the bindings. They should have added an option in the control menus to select with HOTAS you have of the game can’t detect it.
View Quote

I'm running HOSAS, I said f it and printed out the button lay outs and have them taped to the wall behind my monitor for quick reference.  

Honestly, I haven't had any issues with my T16000M's, but reddit is full of people that are having issues.  I don't even have the deadzone issue, it was legit download, install, plug in the sticks, remap the core controls, and off I went.  I've fine tuned controls a bunch once I got used to the game and what all you can do.

I am legit impressed with this game.  I'm having a blast, playing with friends is the key IMO, but even with as limited as the maps and ship selection are, there is something "pure" about this game.  It's about the core gameplay, and that's it.  It feels like its been years since we've had a game like this.

As far as I can tell, their isn't one build that is the end-all kill everything build.  There's a really solid TIE bomber build right now that may or may not get adjusted by the devs, but they really did do a good job balancing everything.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up the Thrustmaster for my PS4.  And yea: HOTAS + VR...zomg.  Will definitely be upgrading the PC for VR soon!

I'm about halfway through the story.  Haven't decided if I'll reup my PSN so I can play on line, or maybe get a copy for PC and use my X-55 Rhino hotas and TrackIR on there for now.

And yeah...those default control mappings are insane.  Been reworking them slowly over the past couple days.

I have some streams from the first couple story missions after the prologue on my twitch and youtube.  look for Kamicosmos.  That's also my PSN name if you want to add me.  Too bad it doesn't support clans.  Would be nice to get an Arf Squadron going!
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
So far I'm not impressed with Star Wars: Squadrons at all on my XB1. I came back to a prologue checkpoint today (taking down the ISD targeting system) and the frame rate was running at like 20x causing me to die. constantly I had to restart about 10 times before it started playing at normal speed. Then got to Mission 1 and I keep getting stuck in endless loops following the first person (got past it after 3 restarts) and now I'm stuck in another loop with the 2nd Y-wing i'm supposed to follow after I scanned the wreckage. I've wasted over an hour literally flying around in circles now.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=star%20wars%20squadrons%20first%20mission%20bug%20site%3Awww.reddit.com&sxsrf=ALeKk03emGlu5GhOKUWNXKYKlMLbJr9-IA%3A1601847092433&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_07a38ZvsAhVQxVkKHQCXC80QrQIoBHoECAYQBQ&biw=1613&bih=841&fbclid=IwAR2o8r2Qj0AWO18LISwwaL8UKtX1WTHuIf3ucMrDWYEnDnBF3GalRaGcycw
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So far I'm not impressed with Star Wars: Squadrons at all on my XB1. I came back to a prologue checkpoint today (taking down the ISD targeting system) and the frame rate was running at like 20x causing me to die. constantly I had to restart about 10 times before it started playing at normal speed. Then got to Mission 1 and I keep getting stuck in endless loops following the first person (got past it after 3 restarts) and now I'm stuck in another loop with the 2nd Y-wing i'm supposed to follow after I scanned the wreckage. I've wasted over an hour literally flying around in circles now.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=star%20wars%20squadrons%20first%20mission%20bug%20site%3Awww.reddit.com&sxsrf=ALeKk03emGlu5GhOKUWNXKYKlMLbJr9-IA%3A1601847092433&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_07a38ZvsAhVQxVkKHQCXC80QrQIoBHoECAYQBQ&biw=1613&bih=841&fbclid=IwAR2o8r2Qj0AWO18LISwwaL8UKtX1WTHuIf3ucMrDWYEnDnBF3GalRaGcycw
View Quote

That's not normal.  I finished the whole campaign on XB1 without any major problems.  The game is easy, very easy compared to the old 90's era Kobyashi Maru type scenarios that require you to play through the 3D puzzle to come up with the only workable solution.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]

This alien reminded me of the John-named dimensional aliens from Buckaroo Bonzai.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]
If it's anything it's rogue squadron 2.

It's definitely not a true successor to X-Wing, Tie Fighter, XvT, or X-Wing Alliance.

Maybe in some time, better mission scripting, many things would need to have to happen but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Update. I didn't play again until the last update on my XB1. Seemed to have fixed the single player endless loop glitches. Finally got a few more missions under my belt with no issues.

Started playing multiplayer yesterday and i'm about level 12 now. I'm really liking the Fleet Battles mode.

I have found most of the component trade-offs unacceptable except in a couple rare circumstances when it comes to hull/shield/engine combos. The rotary cannon on the Y-wing and TIE Bomber is great though. I really like the stock gun on the TIE Interceptor. Not a fan of the A-wing or even the Y-wing for that matter though. Jury's still out on the burst cannon vs regular laser for the X-wing. The guided lasers are just totally *meh*. I really like the unguided rockets, proton torpedo, and beam cannon for fucking up the raiders and capitol ships. I haven't really screwed around with the ion stuff yet on anything.

I haven't played the support ship yet. Once I get bored with the regular craft I'm sure I'll start screwing around with them.

I did get one really annoying glitch yesterday on Fleet Battles. One guy on the other team's audio was on the whole game. Not sure WTF caused that to happen. It didn't help he was talking non-stop, had an annoying voice, and wasn't even really saying anything of importance that would give away tactics.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#20]
This game is amazing.  I feel like I'm 12 playing the original TIE fighter again.  Except so so much better in so many ways.

All it needs is more of a mission builder / sandbox mode and TrackIR support, and it will be the only game I play for months.  
Meanwhile, gonna dust off the VR set.   Excited to try that.

So fucking IN
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This game is amazing.  I feel like I'm 12 playing the original TIE fighter again.  Except so so much better in so many ways.

All it needs is more of a mission builder / sandbox mode and TrackIR support, and it will be the only game I play for months.  
Meanwhile, gonna dust off the VR set.   Excited to try that.

So fucking IN
View Quote

Weird, to me it feels nothing like Tie Fighter. Seems like it's an on-rails space game disguised as an X-Wing game. And Yeah, I cut my teeth on X-Wing back in like 94, 95 or so and went all the way through all of them. But I get everyone has different experiences, I know the sound and feel draws one in but like the new star wars movies as soon as I pull my head out and use my brain, I realize in no way is it the same. X-Wing and Tie-Fighter there was still quite a bit of freedom, yes there were objectives but you could approach it how you wanted. The way Squadrons has you held up sometimes waiting for triggers or for the next section of the mission just feels less organic and more, well, on-rails.

I'm going to get back to the XW Alliance mods, lots of content there, custom missions, all kinds of stuff. Plus tons of EU ships added in.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Weird, to me it feels nothing like Tie Fighter. Seems like it's an on-rails space game disguised as an X-Wing game. And Yeah, I cut my teeth on X-Wing back in like 94, 95 or so and went all the way through all of them. But I get everyone has different experiences, I know the sound and feel draws one in but like the new star wars movies as soon as I pull my head out and use my brain, I realize in no way is it the same. X-Wing and Tie-Fighter there was still quite a bit of freedom, yes there were objectives but you could approach it how you wanted. The way Squadrons has you held up sometimes waiting for triggers or for the next section of the mission just feels less organic and more, well, on-rails.

I'm going to get back to the XW Alliance mods, lots of content there, custom missions, all kinds of stuff. Plus tons of EU ships added in.
View Quote

Agree 100%, which is why I pointed to the need for a sandbox mode.  Then it will be really close IMO to the classic games.

I have the most fun in the practice mode, but it's quite limited right now: only 1 map and a few combat scenarios.  That's where it feels most like a legit space sim to me.  Hopefully they at least add some more maps.

I tried VR.   It's nice, but I want my 4K.   Right now I'm trying to get SmoothTrack & OpenTrack to work with the game.  Some have been able to get that going.

By the way, steam has this 25% off right now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Agree 100%, which is why I pointed to the need for a sandbox mode.  Then it will be really close IMO to the classic games.

I have the most fun in the practice mode, but it's quite limited right now: only 1 map and a few combat scenarios.  That's where it feels most like a legit space sim to me.  Hopefully they at least add some more maps.

I tried VR.   It's nice, but I want my 4K.   Right now I'm trying to get SmoothTrack & OpenTrack to work with the game.  Some have been able to get that going.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've still been enjoying the multiplayer fleet battle but the team deathmatch and single player has been *meh*.

It takes so damn long to play the missions after you get done talking to everyone, listening to the briefings etc just to spend most of the mission following people around it feels really scripted. I get too bored wasting my time on them because nothing is really that interesting yet in the single player. If i'm going to sit around not playing watching cut scenes it could at least be engaging like most of the Ace Combats have been.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought Squadrons today(Steam sale )
It's fun so far. If you've played XvT or even Star Wars Galaxies I doubt you'll be disappointed(provided you have a good joystick)

Match making is a bit borked , but If you've been driving A-wings or Tie interceptors since before these console kiddie's balls dropped levels doesn't matter too much(), but not even wisest Jedi Master/Sith Lord isn't going to win a 1 v 5 match.

Seriously I've been in matches where  teams were 1,1,1,3,22 vs 30,24,33,18,7.
WTF

Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know if there's some sort of handicap given to "weak ass" teams?

Sometimes I splash tangos with ease, other times I blast them with my entire "clip" and they are still flying.

It's just odd with how some matches go.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone know if there's some sort of handicap given to "weak ass" teams?

Sometimes I splash tangos with ease, other times I blast them with my entire "clip" and they are still flying.

It's just odd with how some matches go.
View Quote
If it's multiplayer are you noticing if it's an actual live player vs AI? In Fleet Battles I can take out the AI with no trouble but it's always a challenge when there's a real player.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Its multiplayer in dogfight.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably some people that get task saturated and forget to change energy to shields and/or use the repair droid if they have it. Also my Tie Interceptor I have with an upgraded hull can take a Bonnie Rotten style pounding before it finally blows.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Probably some people that get task saturated and forget to change energy to shields and/or use the repair droid if they have it. Also my Tie Interceptor I have with an upgraded hull can take a Bonnie Rotten style pounding before it finally blows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's probably what it is, or lag()
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not the sandbox, it's the flight mechanics and the *feel* as well. The whole having to basically stay at half speed the whole time in order to maneuver worth a shit, the mode switching, I preferred the feel of the old X-Wing games even if they weren't very "dynamic" on intertia feel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Good news - TrackIR support has been added to this title at last.  Back IN when I'm not playing Cyberpunk
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's not the sandbox, it's the flight mechanics and the *feel* as well. The whole having to basically stay at half speed the whole time in order to maneuver worth a shit, the mode switching, I preferred the feel of the old X-Wing games even if they weren't very "dynamic" on intertia feel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait you're saying a new Modern Xwing game made for consoles is too complicated for PC Master Race boomers?
The old joke being XvT / X-wing alliance would never be properly remade because it was too complicated for Console Kiddies.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wait you're saying a new Modern Xwing game made for consoles is too complicated for PC Master Race boomers?
The old joke being XvT / X-wing alliance would never be properly remade because it was too complicated for Console Kiddies.

View Quote

It *feels* more like Rogue Squadron games than XW/XVT/XWA etc. To me it sure seems like there's an underlying "in order to survive or get through X segment of mission you have to use Y ability or mechanic". There were parts early on where if you don't use the boost move or whatever it was called then you get picked apart, partly as well because you have to throttle down to what used to be shuttle speeds in order to maneuver.

I get it, they want to have a more Elite: Dangerous or dynamic flight model, I just don't like it. I might give it a crack again later but after so many years on the old ones it just didn't feel anything like them. I didn't like the power management either, because again as mentioned in order to get the speeds you'd have in the old game you end up feeling like you are flying a brick, which is compounded when you are trying to run shield and weapon recharge rates that are needed for combat.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Think this game will hit the Xbox game pass?
Tempted to just buy it now for $24.   Did they fixe the HOTAS dead stick issues?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Think this game will hit the Xbox game pass?
Tempted to just buy it now for $24.   Did they fixe the HOTAS dead stick issues?
View Quote

EA's play pass is part of xbox game pass so it should be eventually. I know the main difference between ea play and ea play pro is that pro gives you unlimited access to new games but I'm not sure how long EA waits before moving "new" games to their back catalog for access on EA Play. Anyways, yes, eventually.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top