Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
I want KOTOR 3.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Recently I replayed through Batman Arkham City, and like Assassin's Creed, I guess that's what I'm comparing combat to.  In that game, you can engage a dozen (or more) enemies and fluidly attack, counter, and counter attack from all directions, with melee attacks, throws, one-hit-KO arm and leg bars takedowns, all the while seamlessly integrating Batman's gadgets in the midst of battle.

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of Jedi Fallen Order because of that, or maybe I haven't put enough time into learning any nuances of the combat.  I just wish it were like the Batman Arkham games.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I don't like is that the combat is clunky.  The parrying and blocking is clunky.  Not fluid.  The light saber swinging is repetitive.  Recently finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey, so this is what I'm comparing the combat to.   AC:O had great combat, was smooth on the Xbox, the fights seemed much better.
Recently I replayed through Batman Arkham City, and like Assassin's Creed, I guess that's what I'm comparing combat to.  In that game, you can engage a dozen (or more) enemies and fluidly attack, counter, and counter attack from all directions, with melee attacks, throws, one-hit-KO arm and leg bars takedowns, all the while seamlessly integrating Batman's gadgets in the midst of battle.

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of Jedi Fallen Order because of that, or maybe I haven't put enough time into learning any nuances of the combat.  I just wish it were like the Batman Arkham games.
I agree that combat isn't as smooth as in those games you mentioned.  The developers said that the main character was a young Padawan and not a Jedi Badass when Order 66 took place, so they didn't want him to be super powerful, mowing through opponents in this game - so I don't know how much of the "clunkiness" is intentional (or maybe that's just the excuse they use because they couldn't do better).
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Finished the game, enjoyed it.  FAR better than Outer Worlds.

I enjoyed being stumped a few times by the puzzles...but that's why youtube exists.  Graphics were good, not great.  Levels are long.

I have a few complaints.

1.  Why do they bother having "companions" if they aren't going to do ANYTHING.  Go play KOTOR, and try again.
2.  Light Saber combat leaves much to be desired.  They need to go play either of the Force Unleashed games to learn how it's done.
3.  AI is dumber than my toaster.  Hey, there's the guy we're supposed to shoot...fires two shots...waits 45 seconds...fires one shot.
4.  At no point during the game do you "power up" in terms of damage dealt.  Sure, you learn a new trick here and there, but nothing that makes you discernibly more powerful.
5.  Useless cosmetic "upgrades" for your poncho, LS, droid, or ship.  I'm a completest, so I found them all, but they are useless.  Apparently, you can build your LS in real life just as you did in the game if you go to Disney Land Galaxy Edge...for like $100+.
6.  I get it...ice and mud are slippery...I'm not snowboarding/surfing/skating....knock it off.

They need to make (or re-make with current graphics) a TIE Fighter game.  The TIE Fighter flight sim game from the 1994 was awesome.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Finished the game, enjoyed it.  FAR better than Outer Worlds.

I enjoyed being stumped a few times by the puzzles...but that's why youtube exists.  Graphics were good, not great.  Levels are long.

I have a few complaints.

1.  Why do they bother having "companions" if they aren't going to do ANYTHING.  Go play KOTOR, and try again.
2.  Light Saber combat leaves much to be desired.  They need to go play either of the Force Unleashed games to learn how it's done.
3.  AI is dumber than my toaster.  Hey, there's the guy we're supposed to shoot...fires two shots...waits 45 seconds...fires one shot.
4.  At no point during the game do you "power up" in terms of damage dealt.  Sure, you learn a new trick here and there, but nothing that makes you discernibly more powerful.
5.  Useless cosmetic "upgrades" for your poncho, LS, droid, or ship.  I'm a completest, so I found them all, but they are useless.  Apparently, you can build your LS in real life just as you did in the game if you go to Disney Land Galaxy Edge...for like $100+.
6.  I get it...ice and mud are slippery...I'm not snowboarding/surfing/skating....knock it off.

They need to make (or re-make with current graphics) a TIE Fighter game.  The TIE Fighter flight sim game from the 1994 was awesome.
View Quote
Force Unleashed was lame in the LS department.  Jedi: Academy has been the gold standard.  Have not played this, though having viewed YT samples, it "appears" to be trying to recapture some of the mechanics that Outcast introduced & Academy improved on, but only just.

FU dumbed down the experience & was a backwards evolution of what the previous 2 had developed.  Please, just no.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 2:26:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm still playing through it and having quite a bit of fun, but you are absolutely right about all of your points, especially this one.

It's probably not objectively the worst part of the game, but it is the one that annoys me the most.  All of the work and exploration beyond the main path leads to a bunch of useless cosmetic shit.  Ponchos are retarded looking no matter what color you use.  There are only about 5 color variants of the outfit itself.  I was hoping for some options to really customize armor or clothing with different types and looks, but all I get is a palette swap.  Same with the lightsaber "customization" - they missed a huge opportunity to actually change up the feel of the rather boring lightsaber combat by changing stats or fighting styles based on the parts you use.  Instead every single thing you find is just a different texture.  You can't even really see it in gameplay because it's so small and you aren't paying attention to it.  The color is the only obvious change, which doesn't matter either.

In the end most of the side exploration felt pointless to me, which cuts down on my desire to do anything other than the critical path or go back to places I've been.  I appreciate that they didn't try to sell me the cosmetics, but they could have done so much more with what they had.  I was kinda hoping for customization more along the lines of Mass Effect or Witcher, where not only are there more options, but the change in your look also comes with various stat changes as well - speed, armor, health, skills, etc.  At least then you'd have a reason to fiddle around and come up with the best build for you.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Force Unleashed was lame in the LS department.  Jedi: Academy has been the gold standard.  Have not played this, though having viewed YT samples, it "appears" to be trying to recapture some of the mechanics that Outcast introduced & Academy improved on, but only just.

FU dumbed down the experience & was a backwards evolution of what the previous 2 had developed.  Please, just no.
View Quote
Every player is different, but I really liked Force Unleashed LS mechanics...using different button combinations to complete different moves.  It wasn't just repeatedly hitting the X button and swinging the saber....each button built on the previous.  X-X-Y-Y had a different attack than X-Y-Y-X, etc.

But yes, Jedi Academy and Outcast have had the best LS mechanics.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm still playing through it and having quite a bit of fun, but you are absolutely right about all of your points, especially this one.

It's probably not objectively the worst part of the game, but it is the one that annoys me the most.  All of the work and exploration beyond the main path leads to a bunch of useless cosmetic shit.  Ponchos are retarded looking no matter what color you use.  There are only about 5 color variants of the outfit itself.  I was hoping for some options to really customize armor or clothing with different types and looks, but all I get is a palette swap.  Same with the lightsaber "customization" - they missed a huge opportunity to actually change up the feel of the rather boring lightsaber combat by changing stats or fighting styles based on the parts you use.  Instead every single thing you find is just a different texture.  You can't even really see it in gameplay because it's so small and you aren't paying attention to it.  The color is the only obvious change, which doesn't matter either.

In the end most of the side exploration felt pointless to me, which cuts down on my desire to do anything other than the critical path or go back to places I've been.  I appreciate that they didn't try to sell me the cosmetics, but they could have done so much more with what they had.  I was kinda hoping for customization more along the lines of Mass Effect or Witcher, where not only are there more options, but the change in your look also comes with various stat changes as well - speed, armor, health, skills, etc.  At least then you'd have a reason to fiddle around and come up with the best build for you.
View Quote
To add to that...why in the ever loving hell do all the enemies respawn when I "rest" during meditation?! I had literally 1/8 of my health bar left, no stims left, and had to rest up to finish the level. After resting, and beating the boss/finding the whatsit needed to finish the level, now I have to fight my way back to the ship, killing the enemies that I already killed once before! There should also be a fast travel option so that, when you backtrack, you don't have to go all the way back through the level to get that one thing that you missed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I spent a LOT of hours playing and modding Jedi Outcast and Academy. Force Unleashed partway through the game, there was no point using the lightsaber anymore, so it never quite stacked up to JO or JA.

Sadly the old SW games that deserved more won't probably happen, because big daddy Didney owns the rights and they will only want big returns when they hand the license out. Even with Elite:Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Star Citizen out there they still seem to think it's a small niche market. I'd KILL for E:D converted to Star Wars and enabled modding.

We really need a Republic Commando sequel, but sadly I'd bet whoever ended up doing it would fuck it up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Amazon has a deal going on.

$33.74 after discount at checkout.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Jedi-Fallen-Order/dp/B07DJX3W29?tag=gamespotdeals-20&th=1
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Combat was clunky as fuck. I never felt like I was actually fighting with any sort of rhythm.

The whole "you need to perry" gimic is fine with one enemy but when you've got 4 enemies swinging at you it it's fucking usless.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Just finished the game yesterday and loved every second of it. It's the only game I ever platinumed on PSN.
I started on Jedi Knight difficulty and then switched to Jedi Master about half way through. My only gripe is the limited force meter, especially on boss fights.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Combat was clunky as fuck. I never felt like I was actually fighting with any sort of rhythm.

The whole "you need to perry" gimic is fine with one enemy but when you've got 4 enemies swinging at you it it's fucking usless.
View Quote
Worked great with the Batman: Arkham games. There was a definite flow when you were fighting a group, and it looked real. If they had copied the same for Fallen Order, and added in Force powers, combat would have been a lot better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top