BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Reluctantly bought it as I usually NEVER buy anything new, especially EA stuff. Just got to the 2nd planet and the game is amazing.

Had some of the FPS problems but turned off all the V-sync and stuff like that and it 90% went away.

Game is like a mix of Tomb Raider, Dark Souls and most any recent FPS type game. I'm playing on Jedi Master level so its a little unforgiving and I've totally rage quit a few times because of how you're progress is only saved at certain points and I didn't want to do it all over again.

Actually really impressed with it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of my favorite things about Jedi Fallen Order so far, and it speaks volumes about Respawn Entertainment, is just how much respect Respawn has for the universe and the material.

There's no agenda or bullshit at work here, not that I've seen so far anyways.  This game is Star Wars.  It was made to appeal to Star Wars fans.  It was not made to appeal to the LGBTQ crowd, not to empowered women or submissive men or anyone else other than the fans of the series.

It's refreshing to see media today that doesn't have some kind of silly agenda at hand to please to anyone other than the fans and enthusiasts.
View Quote
+1

The game is simply amazing.  Might be game of the year.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of the boss fights have been disappointing up until the second encounter with the second sister and the “arena” fight. I hope the other bosses are as good as those two.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Found this...

...in a site that describes what dataminers have found in the game.

Now I'm piqued.

ETA here's how to find it:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - How To Get The Double-Bladed Lightsaber Early
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sister Friede is a laughing hard right now
View Quote
Don't know her. She your relative?
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Resting restores enemies.  Getting killed causes XP loss.  Boss fights requiring lost of evasion tactics.  Limited health and healing powers.  Health doesn't auto regen.
View Quote
Those are not Souls exclusives.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually did that by accident.

It doesn't do as much damage but I find its quick attacks to be better for getting past small enemy defenses.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:56:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Had the game for  a day in a half.  Didn't get to play it anywhere near as much as I would have liked to.  Great game, love the tomb raider feel to it.

So I was just leaving Zeffo (my second planet) when i stopped.  One thing I was curious of, how do you do more damage?  The light saber parts see to be cosmetic only.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Had the game for  a day in a half.  Didn't get to play it anywhere near as much as I would have liked to.  Great game, love the tomb raider feel to it.

So I was just leaving Zeffo (my second planet) when i stopped.  One thing I was curious of, how do you do more damage?  The light saber parts see to be cosmetic only.
View Quote
You can gain access to various "strong" attacks through your skill levelups but you don't do more damage via any other method. Note the "". They cost force points and don't put out crazy damage or anything. High HP enemies are an exercise in patience for sure
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote
Not even close, although they did manage to faithfully  duplicate Forest Whitaker's lazy eye.

It's all right; I've played worse games.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not even close, although they did manage to faithfully  duplicate Forest Whitaker's lazy eye.

View Quote
What would you say would be the game of the year?
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to give it Game of the Year, but I will say that it is a good addition to the Star Wars Games library...I just wish that they would come out with a X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter remake that supports cross-platform play like the new MW.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RDR2
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
RDR2
View Quote
Came out last year
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Re: Game of the Year: this was a pretty slow year for great games compared to last year (Spider-Man, God of War, RDR2, to name a few).

What’s a contender this year?  Resident Evil 2 Remake, Sekiro, Death Stranding, whatever the latest CoD/Modern Warfare?
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Came out last year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RDR2
Came out last year
hey it came out for the PC this year.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote
Good to hear.

Was thinking about getting this or Outer Worlds, think I'll go with this after hearing how short OW is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good to hear.

Was thinking about getting this or Outer Worlds, think I'll go with this after hearing how short OW is.
View Quote
Not sure what you're playing on but outer worlds in on the xbox game pass, if you're on PC and hadn't signed up before I think it has an initial promo price of like $1-2 or something like that the first month which would be a pretty cheap way of playing it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good to hear.

View Quote
OW is short? Maybe compared to FO or ES type games. I'll have to check but wanna say 40-50ish hrs as a WAG.

Compared to like 200 for FO4
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Finally received my preorder code from Amazon.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Resident Evil 2 or Sunless Skies would be my choice.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Resident Evil 2 or Sunless Skies would be my choice.
View Quote
Sunless Skies? Off to the Loogle machine
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sekiro will likely win GOTY at the game awards next month.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont see it, Sekiro was dogshit.

I figure CoD #3059292944 will get it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, the SJWs were all up in arms over the campaign.  I doubt they'll give it to CoD.

As for fallen order, it sound good and it's on my list but I'm hearing about a few bugs that are so bad you have to wipe your save and start over.  They are supposed to be rare and out of the way, but since I always explore every book and cranny of these games I'm gonna just wait until the first big patch comes out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nah, the SJWs were all up in arms over the campaign.  I doubt they'll give it to CoD.

As for fallen order, it sound good and it's on my list but I'm hearing about a few bugs that are so bad you have to wipe your save and start over.  They are supposed to be rare and out of the way, but since I always explore every book and cranny of these games I'm gonna just wait until the first big patch comes out.
View Quote
Turn off sync and manually copy off your save games (DS1/2/3 style).  I'm about 80% through the game, no major bugs since the last update.  Some of the nightsister dialog is pretty funny.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I finished the game last night, and here are my thoughts:

- It's definitely a legit contender for game of the year
- I didn't like the game

Avoiding spoilers, there were no surprises in the story, and the ending was extremely "meh."

The Good
Gameplay, puzzles, platforming, combat, acting, level design
Story until the end

The Bad
End of the story
Force powers/Force regeneration
"Jedi"

This is a fairly unique game in that most "good" Star Wars games are usually subpar by general gaming standards (ie a 9/10 Star Wars game is a 6 or 7 compared to all games).  This was an amazing game, but an extremely poor Star Wars game.  I never felt like a Jedi.  The way Force powers are done completely ruins the Jedi fantasy for me.

The other big problem is the story.  This is a perfect example of why they shouldn't shoehorn stories in between the movies (especially something like Jedi characters in between 3 and 4): they can't have any real impact on the story we already know.  I won't say more so as not to spoil anything, but the ending was a major letdown.

As a general game, I give this an 8.5/10.  Downmarks for the unsatisfying ending to the story.  GotY contender.

As a "Star Wars" game, I give this a 5/10.  Don't feel like a Jedi.  Stupid, ultimately pointless story.  I will never play this heap of trash again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Also finished it. Play time ended up being 18 hours. That was one hell of a final boss fight. Ending was pretty much what I expected would happen.

Would to have liked to seen more planets to explore and more rememberable boss fights. Only 3 or 4 stick out and they were well done. Overall 8/10. If they make a second I’ll definitely buy it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Also finished it. Play time ended up being 18 hours. That was one hell of a final boss fight. Ending was pretty much what I expected would happen.

Would to have liked to seen more planets to explore and more rememberable boss fights. Only 3 or 4 stick out and they were well done. Overall 8/10. If they make a second I’ll definitely buy it.
View Quote
The game was advertised as having "8 planets to explore," which was kind of a stretch.  The first and last don't really count.

The last boss fight:
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The game was advertised as having "8 planets to explore," which was kind of a stretch.  The first and last don't really count.

The last boss fight:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
I avoid cheesing bosses. Takes away the fun. I’m probably one of the few people that have beaten orphan of kos straight up, no parry or anything.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It doesn't do as much damage but I find its quick attacks to be better for getting past small enemy defenses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The staff was apparently nerfed a bit for "balancing", which is lame, but somewhat understandable if they didn't want to render the old school irrelevant.

I hear switching between staff for groups & single for individual/boss fights is the the strategy to use.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would have like to see more combat versus the empire and an option to replay some battles.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The staff was apparently nerfed a bit for "balancing", which is lame, but somewhat understandable if they didn't want to render the old school irrelevant.

I hear switching between staff for groups & single for individual/boss fights is the the strategy to use.
View Quote
The skill to switch as you attack is super nice, and great for wearing down the guard of foes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The skill to switch as you attack is super nice, and great for wearing down the guard of foes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still working my way up to that one...
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I fixed my camera issue with a reinstall.  I guess the game files got mucked up between where I first purchased and downloaded the game on Steam, and where I ended up playing it on Origin.

I'm about 8-10 hours in I think.  This is a very good game, but at the same time, the combat just feels off.  It feels very clunky and sluggish at times, and I could see it being rage inducing at higher difficulty levels due to the inconsistencies in dodging, blocking and just general lightsabering things to death.

I'm playing on whatever normal difficulty is, it's one step above the story mode difficulty.  There's a part where like in Attack of the Clones, you're dropped into this arena where you have to fight a couple waves of trash, mostly animals and critters, then you face off 1v1 versus this bounty hunter Boba Fett type guy.  No spoilers, it's pretty early into the game this happens I think.  Anyways, I was getting absolutely sauced and getting very frustrated because of how the enemy targeting/lock on function works, and how it relates to how you face the enemy and how you attack/defend yourself.  Most of the combat in my experience so far especially against multiple foes turns into left click spam until everything is dead.

In most games that have some kind of defend/attack/counter-attack type mechanic, there's normally an enemy tell that shows you when it's time to block/parry/move, and certain attacks in this game have that.  But I don't feel most of them do, and if they do, they are very inconsistent about what gets blocked and what doesn't, what counts as a hit and what doesn't, and what turns into a slick slow-motion counter attack finisher and what just leaves you swinging the lightsaber around like an idiot hitting nothing but air.

Even something as normal/standard as reflecting shots back at stormtroopers - here's how it has worked in my experience so far:  Stormtrooper A fires anywhere from 1-3 shots at you, you can block the first one and send it back at him, but if you aren't ready/anticipating/primed at the thought of there being more than one shot headed at you, you're gonna eat shit on the remainder of the shots and there's no real recovery from that, like you block the first shot and it feels almost like the block/reflect goes on a little cooldown where you can't immediately bring it back up again.  I understand about the blocking stamina gauge, but I played around with this messing with one or two individual stormtroopers and a full stamina bar, along with the upgrade that reduces the stamina lost when blocking.  So I can right click the whole time at one stormtrooper and deflect everything, which is cool provided he's the only threat on the screen at the time; in this game, that is rarely the case.

Just killing anything or anyone with a lightsaber feels like shit.  You run at them, they backpedal, your character model just feels slow trying to catch up to these guys and you swing like a foot or two short of them.  Now the follow up swings will definitely get them, it's just I feel like a oaf with this combat system.  I end up using the lightsaber dash attack or throwing the lightsaber at most trash enemies just to try and close the gap, or throwing enemies off ledges with Force powers just so I don't have to put up with their bullshit.  It feels so sloppy and tedious trying to chase these guys down to show them what's up.

And about those Force powers, because the targeting/target switching is so wonky, aiming and using Force powers is kind of a hit and miss sorta deal.  It's already awkward to fight as is, and trying to incorporate various Force powers into a hectic fight, it's just...not fun.  Not smooth or fluid.  Very clunky and awkward.  It's a chore.  Combat in this game to me is a chore.  It feels bad and unfun in most circumstances.  Some of the 1v1 boss fights have been pretty cool, but again, the block/parry/dodge is just so inconsistent.  I imagine that it's way more important at higher difficulty levels, where the timing is tighter and enemies probably do more damage.  But overall it's alright I guess, I just get bored of swinging my lightsaber like the purple dildo in Saints Row and having about the same effect on target as the dildo in that game.

Pre-reviews of this game, people were talking like the lightsaber combat is gonna be super involved and deep and satisfying, but it's not IMO.
View Quote
Force pull or force rush gets you in close combat range, you can also force slow them.  Also, get the doublel saber for smaller critters that are prone to dodging, since its faster than the single saber.  
Combat is... ok, it's not Dark Souls, but it's ok once you get your controls set up correctly.  As for blaster bolts, you don't have to block each one, as long as you hold down the block button you will block them all.  Just reflect the first one and keep blocking until they stop firing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:53:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You know how at the end of Rogue One, where Vader carves through those rebel red shirts like a hot knife through butter?

He pushes forward undeterred, fluidly deflecting, slicing, dicing, using the Force...that's what I really want the combat to be in Jedi Fallen Order, and it just ain't there.

I played a bit more tonight and ran into some graphical glitches as well.  Falling through the environment, especially when climbing up to a higher ledge, I've clipped through walls and fallen to my death quite a bit.
View Quote
you want the force unleashed 1 & 2
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 2:15:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I played a bit more tonight and ran into some graphical glitches as well.  Falling through the environment, especially when climbing up to a higher ledge, I've clipped through walls and fallen to my death quite a bit.
View Quote
I ran in to that a fair bit, too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Just finished it.  Game is definitely much closer to Tomb Raider.  Its Tomb Raider, Star Wars edition.  Souls-like my ass.  Ending was weak, but leaves the characters open for a follow up game that will hopefully not be as weak as Force Unleashed 2 which was nothing more then a cash grab.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just finished it.  Game is definitely much closer to Tomb Raider.  Its Tomb Raider, Star Wars edition.  Souls-like my ass.  Ending was weak, but leaves the characters open for a follow up game that will hopefully not be as weak as Force Unleashed 2 which was nothing more then a cash grab.
View Quote
It’s closer to sekiro than dark souls combat wise. I don’t get where people are saying “it’s dark souls in the Star Wars universe“ are coming from.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#48]
The lore is good, the characters are OK so far.  Graphics passable but seem dated.  I really enjoy the Starwars stories so had high hopes for this game.  I think the gameplay is pretty bad though.  Playing on an Xbox One S.  Hiccups in graphics at times, but those are tolerable.  Just feels like we aren't much far off from the StarKiller (Force Unleashed) games in the Xbox 360 in 2008/2010.

What I don't like is that the combat is clunky.  The parrying and blocking is clunky.  Not fluid.  The light saber swinging is repetitive.  Recently finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey, so this is what I'm comparing the combat to.   AC:O had great combat, was smooth on the Xbox, the fights seemed much better.

I give it a 6/10.  Enjoyable but not what I expected in 2019 when compared to the newer games.  Still would recommend if you are a StarWars fan - I do like that they seemed to stay true to lore.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Exactly
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top