User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I still have a PS2 to play PS2 and PS one games. Older games still interest me. I know Nintendo is more about family orientated games, but 720P resolution is a bit out dated for new games.

Currently I have 8 4K movies and probably half of them are true 4K. Why I like the 4K player even though everything is moving away from disks, is that games will eat up a major chunk of your internet quota for the month if you run out of storage space and un install a game to download a new one.

In Missouri my limit was 250 gig a month. That's a 4 game download limit with today's games. Granted where I'm at now, I have a 1 TB limit. Also, you can resell a disk game. Not so much with a downloaded one.
View Quote
Internet quota?  I never contemplated console gaming (or movie streaming) over a metered connection.  I recently went from crap DSL to fiber internet and am downloading all of the things.

And I agree with you about the benefits of physical media - but Big Gaming doesn't care about me.

I predict this upcoming generation of consoles will be the last to play physical media.  Come back in 8 years and if I'm wrong, I'll send you a Pmag.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting back to gaming, I got back into Breath of the Wild this weekend.  One last hurrah before tax season rapes my free time.

I had already finished all 120 shrines, 4 divine beasts, and beat Ganon, along with completing almost all of the side quests.

I finished up the Captured Memories, including finding Zelda's bedroom and diary (giggity!).  I also started on the Champion's Ballad and have finished two of the revisited divine beasts.

Trial of the Sword looks like it will be a giant pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Come back in 8 years and if I'm wrong, I'll send you a Pmag.  
View Quote
If things go well for me, I'll be living out of the country in 8 years.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come back in 8 years and if I'm wrong, I'll send you a Pmag.  
In a country sans pmags!?  Perish the thought!
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The kiddos are loving Scribblenauts Showdown. I am moving through BOTW. I bought the pro controller for myself as I have huge hands. Still seems a little small, but I manage. We also got MK8D, Lego Incredibles, Minecraft, a bunch of Joy-Cons and a 256GB micro SD card.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have a first person shooter recommendation? Preferably something with a decent campaign mode as well as local/online multiplayer? Original Doom ain’t cutting it.

My kids wound up getting me a Switch for Christmas. They all got Switch Lites.

Bad North and Hotline Miami have turned out to be pretty addictive.

They have Mario Kart 8, Luigi’s Mansion 3, BOTW, Link’s Awakening, Cup Head and Minecraft.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hmm... the only thing I can think of is Payday 2.

Kids really need Odyssey, fantastic game.
View Quote
The boys got gift cards to game stop and I had in my head that I was going to steer our 5yo toward Mario Odyssey. For some reason I got that mixed up with Luigi’s Mansion and that’s what he wound up getting.

I’ll probably grab Odyssey for him next time I see it on sale.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone have a first person shooter recommendation? Preferably something with a decent campaign mode as well as local/online multiplayer? Original Doom ain’t cutting it.

My kids wound up getting me a Switch for Christmas. They all got Switch Lites.

Bad North and Hotline Miami have turned out to be pretty addictive.

They have Mario Kart 8, Luigi’s Mansion 3, BOTW, Link’s Awakening, Cup Head and Minecraft.
View Quote
I liked Wolfenstein Youngblood's single player campaign.  Online multiplayer is a bit weak.  The co-op mechanic is interesting but can be frustrating if the other player is a lone wolf, idiot, or noob.

I liked Youngblood more than Doom, but I'm not real deep into Doom yet.  I also think Doom 3 set the bar for the franchise.  They should port that to the Switch, because it was the third greatest FPS behind Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 1.  (And where is Half-Life 3, dammit?)

And while it's technically a third-person shooter, I'm going to recommend Splatoon 2.  Single player is fun, especially the DLC Octo Expansion.  It's geared towards kids, so it's a bit cheesy, but the gameplay itself is great.  The game really shines in multiplayer mode.  But it is pretty far from Doom, Wolfenstein, Halo, CoD, etc., but that means you can play it with your kids and then your 9 year old will trash talk you when you get your butt kicked and call you a filthy casual that should wake up embarrassed.  Some people's kids, I swear...

What is Splatoon? (and Splatoon 2)
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, my 2 year old broke my 9 year old’s Switch Lite. The right side thumb stick is completely broken off.

I’m off to eBay and YouTube to hopefully find components and directions in order to effect a repair.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd just send it back to Nintendo they're pretty good at getting systems repaired and back within 1-2 weeks in my experience.
View Quote
@MauserMark

Any idea on price? I’ve got about $30 in tools and two thumbsticks on their way from Amazon. Looks like a pretty straight forward repair.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, my 2 year old broke my 9 year old’s Switch Lite. The right side thumb stick is completely broken off.

I’m off to eBay and YouTube to hopefully find components and directions in order to effect a repair.
View Quote
That sucks.

My 7-year old broke his TV that he had for two weeks.  Chucked a toy at it.  My wife and I are leaving it in his room so he can look at it every day when we wakes up as a monument to 1) not throwing things and 2) listening to his parents, particularly about not throwing things.

Thank god he's cute.  I'm not sure I could tolerate naughty AND ugly children.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
My nerves are completely wrecked but I got the joystick replaced and it’s working again. If I never see another ribbon cable again it will be too soon.

First time I put it back together the backlight would come on but the display was blank. I opened it back up and found that one of the ribbon cables was slightly crooked and not quite seated all the way. I was pretty happy to see it light up when I finally got it together correctly.

Next time it goes to Nintendo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my Switch, but I will never dock it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think I've played my Switch once in handheld mode, when the Internet guy was hooking up my FTTH and I sat at the kitchen table to keep an eye on his comings and goings.

Tech neck is bad and big screens are good!  
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think I've played my Switch once in handheld mode, when the Internet guy was hooking up my FTTH and I sat at the kitchen table to keep an eye on his comings and goings.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until last night probably 90% of my time had been handheld. Games like Mario Kart, Hotline Miami and Bad North it’s easy to bust out a few levels or races while waiting for something to happen.

The boys and I had a night in last night so we all sat on the couch and played our Switches. I got started on Link’s Awakening. After I put them to bed I started playing it docked. Next thing I knew it was 1am.

I definitely need a more comfortable controller. What an addictive game. It was my first game on Game Boy. I love it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Been playing Witcher 3 and even with the crashes its hands down one of the best action RPGs I've ever played.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Until last night probably 90% of my time had been handheld. Games like Mario Kart, Hotline Miami and Bad North it’s easy to bust out a few levels or races while waiting for something to happen.

The boys and I had a night in last night so we all sat on the couch and played our Switches. I got started on Link’s Awakening. After I put them to bed I started playing it docked. Next thing I knew it was 1am.

I definitely need a more comfortable controller. What an addictive game. It was my first game on Game Boy. I love it.
View Quote
Get the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.  It actually fits adult hands.

And Zelda games are notorious for making me go to bed late.  "Just one more dungeon, one more shrine, one more heart container, one more piece of heart..."

***THREE HOURS LATER***

"Was I abducted by aliens?  What happened to the last three hours?!"
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Get the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.  It actually fits adult hands.
View Quote
This x87,000. I went out and bought one immediately after getting my Switch. My hands would hurt playing with the joy-cons in their holder. I consider the Pro Controller a must have.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#25]
That looks really cool.

But, am I the only one that's still paranoid about using any aftermarket dock with the Switch after all of the brick reports?  There are some low-profile docks that require you to harvest the guts from your OEM dock - I'd trust that.  The Insignia dock also seems to have a good track record, but not perfect.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#26]
It's hard for me to get sucked into a game lately but I picked up Fire Emblem and yea... I'm hooked. Never played a fire emblem game prior.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been playing the phoenix wright ports. makes me wish i had played them when originally released
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top