Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
I started with thrustmaster T16000M setup and have since upgraded my stick to a VKB gunfighter nxt pro and am still using my t16000m throttle. I agree with you I wish there were more intermediary priced throttles. With my current setup I am able to get enough things mapped IMO even without using track IR or VR
View Quote

Winwing throttles are good imo and dont break the bank.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

I love my virpil throttle too
View Quote

Me too.  Just wish the M3 was out when I bought mine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's what I have, it's pretty great.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

I just have to live with a button to limit throttle response as an afterburner gate.  Not terrible, but less than ideal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechnologist85] [#5]
I have an X56. I enjoy it, it has some quarks like the throttle resistance control doesn't really do much. It could be stiff for your first 5 minutes of flying and then at random the throttle is nice and loose. But for the money I think it's great. Especially for VR with all the programmable switches, buttons and axis controls. I really would love some Virpil gear though....and this thread is not helping me....
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Czechnologist85:
I have an X56. I enjoy it, it has some quarks like the throttle resistance control doesn't really do much. It could be stiff for your first 5 minutes of flying and then at random the throttle is nice and loose. But for the money I think it's great. Especially for VR with all the programmable switches, buttons and axis controls. I really would love some Virpil gear though....and this thread is not helping me....
View Quote

I used an X-56 for many years.  It’s the best lower end stick I’ve tried.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Czechnologist85:
View Quote

With VR forget about binding stuff. The only modules that suck in VR are the FC3 ones cuz you do have to bind everything. Otherwise get finger trackers and use the plane like its meant to be flown, i.e. flip the switches push the button in VR. Like bind the HOTAS like it should be or as close as you can get and then just click in the pit. The only non HOTAS stuff I have bound for VR are buttons that are a huge pain to deal with in VR (in obscure places, i.e. the ejection seat in the tomcat or the parking brake in the harrier etc.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:36:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Czechnologist85] [#8]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

With VR forget about binding stuff. The only modules that suck in VR are the FC3 ones cuz you do have to bind everything. Otherwise get finger trackers and use the plane like its meant to be flown, i.e. flip the switches push the button in VR. Like bind the HOTAS like it should be or as close as you can get and then just click in the pit. The only non HOTAS stuff I have bound for VR are buttons that are a huge pain to deal with in VR (in obscure places, i.e. the ejection seat in the tomcat or the parking brake in the harrier etc.

View Quote

Nah, I like everything bound. No plans or want to buy anything for finger/hand tracking. Just not worth the money to me.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like the Mirage F1 is out on the 20th
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By freerider04:
View Quote

Everyone seems pretty pumped for it but I'm kinda indifferent.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By freerider04:
View Quote

Yeah, and by the look of it it will be very EA with a bunch of shit missing and broke. But hey at least its out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:35:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IL2windhawk] [#13]
I'm just excited to fly it.  Going to take a tour of Syria on day 1
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I just want an F-105
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm pumped for the SE personally. Mainly to have a backseater.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#16]
DCS Cold War Why You Should Play It | Why Cold War Is The Future of DCS | How to Play DCS Cold War
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I mostly agree with him, though I think he undersells WWII a little bit.

Cold War is where it's at.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 2alpha-down0:

I mostly agree with him, though I think he undersells WWII a little bit.

Cold War is where it's at.
View Quote

I agree with you, but i think Il2 is better in term of WW2, because of the damage model.

I would like il2 to have clickable cockpit and true cockpit management though
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#19]
last week I flew Enigma's cold war with my 7 year old nephew on my laps...

great combo... because he has fucking great eyes... I asked 'overlord' bearing to threats and he would see them like 20miles out...

we flew the F-5 and it was like a turkey shoot.. Fishbeds, Farmers, Fulcrums, and Badgers.. we got everything. i'd say maybe 20kills for only 2 deaths, one crash and one Manpad..

I must say, lots of unskilled pilots on enigma though.. doing hit and run' from low alt with the F-5E is really easy.. especially with ALL aspects IR missiles..

the only thing i would change in enigma is switch to rear aspect only (like the other cold war server).. it would make way more merges and turning fights.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I must say, lots of unskilled pilots on enigma though
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Mike327:

View Quote

you fly red or blue ?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
I must say, lots of unskilled pilots on enigma though

Thats true of most servers. At least its better than hoggit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Shung:

you fly red or blue ?
View Quote

Blue F-5, usually.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there a decent head or IR tracker out there?  I tried using Viewtracker from Steam but it is super unstable when trying to zoom in.  Makes it impossible to keep controls where I can see them.  I've tried adjusting the smoothness and adding dead zones but nothing seems to help.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Turbo_Kill3r:
Is there a decent head or IR tracker out there?  I tried using Viewtracker from Steam but it is super unstable when trying to zoom in.  Makes it impossible to keep controls where I can see them.  I've tried adjusting the smoothness and adding dead zones but nothing seems to help.
View Quote

TrackIR
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

TrackIR
View All Quotes

TrackIR

TrackIR is sadly the best there is.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Is there much difference between the hat clip and the pro?  My headset is wireless and I hate having cords.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Is there much difference between the hat clip and the pro?  My headset is wireless and I hate having cords.
View All Quotes

My Pro unfortunately broke shortly after I got it, it's kind of delicate (although I believe mine broke in a move).

I've used the hat clip since then and TBH I haven't missed the Pro. I'm sure it's a bit more accurate, but I haven't really cared enough to buy a new one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:36:20 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I remember there being some IMU setups in the LOMAC days you could DIY for head tracking without the IR camera or a hat/headset clip. Seems like IMUs have gotten a lot cheaper and a lot better since then. Is anyone selling something easy?

I'd give that a shot over TrackIR, my trackir can't handle anything reflective in the room, sunlight on the wall, etc.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#31]

My Pro unfortunately broke shortly after I got it, it's kind of delicate (although I believe mine broke in a move).

I've used the hat clip since then and TBH I haven't missed the Pro. I'm sure it's a bit more accurate, but I haven't really cared enough to buy a new one.
View All Quotes

I went through two Clip Pros before I decided I was done with their terribly designed crap.  I now have the DELANCLiP as my IR source.

Why has NatrualPoint not improved their design since 2009 when the 5 was released?  Because they don't care.  They sit a patent an make enough money to be comfortable without working too hard.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
Not a fan of the a2g modes in the f16. Feel like I was way more accurate in auto(f18) vs ccrp, and the a10 is even more intuitive.

Annoying hub symbology that you have to chase the bomb fall line a lot more on too. The tgp integration is just bad
View Quote

Took me a long time  to warm up to them, but I like them better now.
I use CBUs a lot though so accuracy isn't all that important lol
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

The Pro Clip is a flimsy POS.

I used the hat clip forever, I picked up the wireless DelanClip, the range of motion is waaay better than the hat clip, however the battery life is disappointing, maybe 5ish hours.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#34]

I went through two Clip Pros before I decided I was done with their terribly designed crap.  I now have the DELANCLiP as my IR source.

Why has NatrualPoint not improved their design since 2009 when the 5 was released?  Because they don't care.  They sit a patent an make enough money to be comfortable without working too hard.
View All Quotes

Whoah, I wasn't aware of this thing. I'm gonna order the wireless one. Bookmarked, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:14:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#35]
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
the inferno servers are completely unusable now cause of lag (have been for some time). they just have too much shit going on and too many assets to track. having radar lock and watching the the hud symbology jump all over the sky like its a ufo. then he teleports right into missile range and smokes you.
View Quote

I got smoked in the runway during startup on a TTI server, and have been flying 4ya since then, they're pretty decent.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#37]

TrackIR
View All Quotes

TrackIR

This.  I haven't had it for very long but I like it and no issues so far.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#38]
the F-1CE is here.... AAAAAAAAAAAAND it delayed.....
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#39]
View Quote

I mean par for the course for ED. Like the day that ED delivers on time with all promised features is the day Joe Biden didn't shit his pants.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#40]

I mean par for the course for ED. Like the day that ED delivers on time with all promised features is the day Joe Biden didn't shit his pants.
View All Quotes

Is ED releasing the M1?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Is ED releasing the M1?
View All Quotes

Is ED releasing the M1?

Interesting question
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like it was just a one day delay. I'm disappointed they didn't offer for preorder on steam. If they had I may have impulse bought but I won't pay $80 as I'm not that terribly interested in this aircraft. Hopefully the F4 can come before winter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#43]
Looks like it was just a one day delay. I'm disappointed they didn't offer for preorder on steam. If they had I may have impulse bought but I won't pay $80 as I'm not that terribly interested in this aircraft. Hopefully the F4 can come before winter.
View Quote

Pretty sure pre-order's for 3rd party stuff are no longer a thing. ED got burned on the F14 and changed policy after that. Jeff and mig19 had no pre-sale either IIRC.

There is an EA discount for the ED store, but no discount on steam currently.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Pretty sure pre-order's for 3rd party stuff are no longer a thing. ED got burned on the F14 and changed policy after that. Jeff and mig19 had no pre-sale either IIRC.

View Quote
Oh wasn't aware of that. I guess I can expect the same for the F4 seeing as how that's a mostly HB project.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#45]
those who know, know..

Crazy that the original video has been purged from the internet-.-
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#46]
It was a pleasant surprise to see the fire can radar added in with the new Soviet AAA.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IL2windhawk] [#47]
So here's my review of the Mirage F1 so far.   As I usually do with new birds... I just learn the cold start and then go do a general VFR sight-seeing flight for about 45 minutes to get a feel for the flight model and where all the instruments are located.

NICE airplane.  It's fast and feels quite like the F16 to me, lacking of course the Viper's greater stability at higher AOAs.  But as a Viper guy, it feels very familiar speed and acceleration wise at low-to-medium altitudes, and I'd say it might even have a better cruise performance above 30K, but I'm still working that out.  Fuel consumption is great... sort of like the M2000 if you fly that one.  Relative to the M2000, the flight model on this one feels like it has a bit more character vs the M2000's sort of 'fly on rails' feel, especially when at higher speeds.  It's a nice flight model in my opinion.

Cool thing unique about it... the Mirage F1 has the nicest angle-of-attack indicator of any airplane I've ever seen.  You'll see what I mean.  It's super slick vs the donut type indicator lights and far easier to use.  Cockpit is very cool... it's a real "hands on" airplane with lots to click and adjust.  It would be a really cool simpit if anyone ever built one for that reason.

Early access issue: I'm having pretty bad frame rates with it from time to time and I'm about 99% sure it's the module and not DCS or my system or the map I'm running.  Not sure if anyone else is seeing that, but Aerges may have some performance work to do.  Definitely feels a little rough around the edges in that regard.  EDIT: i'm finding this is directly related to having the radar on.

Haven't done anything other than that in the bird.  Probably will workout the nav and autopilot systems next.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

How did ED get burned?

And second, do people not track modules as being 3rd parties? I constantly see here, Reddit, Discord, and the forums where folks can't seem to keep track of the fact that ED isn't developing/delaying the release of modules. ED is not developing the F-1, it's Aerges. Same with the F-4, it's 0% ED, 100% Heatblur. The delay on release was because apparently at the last second the final "release" build had a massive FPS issue with the radar.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:47:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#49]
Originally Posted By IL2windhawk:
So here's my review of the Mirage F1 so far.   As I usually do with new birds... I just learn the cold start and then go do a general VFR sight-seeing flight for about 45 minutes to get a feel for the flight model and where all the instruments are located.

NICE airplane.  It's fast and feels quite like the F16 to me, lacking of course the Viper's greater stability at higher AOAs.  But as a Viper guy, it feels very familiar speed and acceleration wise at low-to-medium altitudes, and I'd say it might even have a better cruise performance above 30K, but I'm still working that out.  Fuel consumption is great... sort of like the M2000 if you fly that one.  Relative to the M2000, the flight model on this one feels like it has a bit more character vs the M2000's sort of 'fly on rails' feel, especially when at higher speeds.  It's a nice flight model in my opinion.

Cool thing unique about it... the Mirage F1 has the nicest angle-of-attack indicator of any airplane I've ever seen.  You'll see what I mean.  It's super slick vs the donut type indicator lights and far easier to use.  Cockpit is very cool... it's a real "hands on" airplane with lots to click and adjust.  It would be a really cool simpit if anyone ever built one for that reason.

Early access issue: I'm having pretty bad frame rates with it from time to time and I'm about 99% sure it's the module and not DCS or my system or the map I'm running.  Not sure if anyone else is seeing that, but Aerges may have some performance work to do.  Definitely feels a little rough around the edges in that regard.

Haven't done anything other than that in the bird.  Probably will workout the nav and autopilot systems next.
View Quote

Yeah I'd agree with everything here. The damage modeling (if not the external model) is actually really great too. It has multiple failure modes if you take light damage, and even if you fuck up and take it high alt systems can fail. Which for an EA module is great (hell even "finished" modules basically lack this).

The key "problem" area for it is the that the radar model is basically FC3 with "sparkle" texture for the "clutter" which is basically a joke. But I'm mostly hoping this is a placeholder and they put some serious time in like Razbam did for the Mirage 2k and that radar model. Though the Cyrano was by all accounts pretty much worthless in lookdown and at low altitudes and being an MTI not a PD radar it should have some additional limitations. Additionally, some of the AAM's are also broken but that should be pretty easy to sort out as it seems like they accidentally swapped seekers for two of the missiles. The only other minor issue is that some of the bindings are fucked up and don't work or don't work right but that is pretty easy to fix hopefully.

Overall the module IMO is in a great state for EA, and given Aerges previous work on the C101 I look forward to it developing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

How did ED get burned?

And second, do people not track modules as being 3rd parties? I constantly see here, Reddit, Discord, and the forums where folks can't seem to keep track of the fact that ED isn't developing/delaying the release of modules. ED is not developing the F-1, it's Aerges. Same with the F-4, it's 0% ED, 100% Heatblur. The delay on release was because apparently at the last second the final "release" build had a massive FPS issue with the radar.
View Quote

Obviously I'm not aware of all the details but the story as I heard it, is when ED put in the expected release date (per steam rules), and then HB didn't deliver by that date (cuz DCS), then there were some serious breach of contract issues with Steam about that. So, pretty much ever since there hasn't been a single 3rd party sold with "pre-sale" period. It hits the steam store and thats it.

IDK what you mean about tracking 3rd parties, but overall I think the enthusiasts know whats what, but most casual DCS players don't care to anywhere that level of detail.

Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top