BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By clayvt:
I need help with a name…
I’ve been making and selling F-18 and F-16 seat covers on a few FB forums and was thinking of getting some labels made to attach on the inside. I’m just not creative when it comes to that sort of thing.
Any ideas folks?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/0CE2379A-94C9-4B73-AB94-86248EC483D0_jpe-2387730.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207473/67579F2F-AD47-4B6D-A1EB-072118491DA2_jpe-2387731.JPG
View Quote

Thats my F-16! Did not know that you were on here too, Small world!

Great quality seat cover, been very happy with it so far!
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By gardnerjr:

@Rhinodo99 i've built all the pit stuff myself.  the radio panel on the far left i designed and 3d printed entirely myself to look like an arc210 but really swaps between all the radios in the A10.  tft from amazon/ebay, arduino mega, lots of rotary enocoders.  

for the most part the panels are from pcflights.com, usb joystick cards from desktop aviator? (though if i started over hardware wise i've heard nothing but good things about leo bodnar boards?)

the larger left panel is a thrustmaster warthog throttle, then another frame built around it that has a pcflights panel and a mini keyboard, attached to the desk with a monstertech knockoff clamp thing
the center panel is several pcflights panels. 2 joystick cards.  there's an 11" lcd disassembled so its just the panel and board mounted inside, and a arduino mega that runs the gauges and lights, and 2 thrustmaster cougar mfds. the landing gear lever is custom built from plexi, before i had a 3d printer.
the right side panel is some more pcflights panels, a joystick card, and then a cdu circuit board and the indicators panel from tekcreations.  the right panel sits on a rolling stand that the joystick then fits inside when its not mounted to the desk.

all of the things aside from the collective get packed up every time i fly, all fits in the closet.

custom building stuff will let you generally fit into the dimensions you have/etc, and will possibly be cheaper long run in money but not in time? so much sourcing of parts and wiring stuff up but that's a lot of fun for me.  for the radio panel i ALMOST learned how to design a circuit board and have that custom built, you can do that pretty cheap these days

winwing, virpil, tekcreations and some others are now making full panels, but yeah, they're scattered around the globe, and not cheap in any way?  there's places in the us that make the panels and usb boards to wire them up, which was the route i went when i started building a few years ago?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gardnerjr:
Originally Posted By Rhinodo99:

@gardnerjr

Can you give us a quick breakdown of your setup and where you bought all of that?  I'm jealous.  

I don't see any US stores selling this stuff.  Mostly Euro.

@Rhinodo99 i've built all the pit stuff myself.  the radio panel on the far left i designed and 3d printed entirely myself to look like an arc210 but really swaps between all the radios in the A10.  tft from amazon/ebay, arduino mega, lots of rotary enocoders.  

for the most part the panels are from pcflights.com, usb joystick cards from desktop aviator? (though if i started over hardware wise i've heard nothing but good things about leo bodnar boards?)

the larger left panel is a thrustmaster warthog throttle, then another frame built around it that has a pcflights panel and a mini keyboard, attached to the desk with a monstertech knockoff clamp thing
the center panel is several pcflights panels. 2 joystick cards.  there's an 11" lcd disassembled so its just the panel and board mounted inside, and a arduino mega that runs the gauges and lights, and 2 thrustmaster cougar mfds. the landing gear lever is custom built from plexi, before i had a 3d printer.
the right side panel is some more pcflights panels, a joystick card, and then a cdu circuit board and the indicators panel from tekcreations.  the right panel sits on a rolling stand that the joystick then fits inside when its not mounted to the desk.

all of the things aside from the collective get packed up every time i fly, all fits in the closet.

custom building stuff will let you generally fit into the dimensions you have/etc, and will possibly be cheaper long run in money but not in time? so much sourcing of parts and wiring stuff up but that's a lot of fun for me.  for the radio panel i ALMOST learned how to design a circuit board and have that custom built, you can do that pretty cheap these days

winwing, virpil, tekcreations and some others are now making full panels, but yeah, they're scattered around the globe, and not cheap in any way?  there's places in the us that make the panels and usb boards to wire them up, which was the route i went when i started building a few years ago?

Great info!  Thanks for sharing all that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Great info!  Thanks for sharing all that.
View Quote

my stuff isn't novel, i've gotten a lot of my inspiration from https://thewarthogproject.com/  started as just a youtube channel but now also has a whole website where you can download almost everything he's done as things for 3d print or laser cut and etch, etc.

some people have too much time (and skill) on their hands!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:21:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#4]
Originally Posted By Light_Storm:

Thats my F-16! Did not know that you were on here too, Small world!

Great quality seat cover, been very happy with it so far!
View Quote

Well would ya look at that! Small world indeed!
Really glad you like it. Everyone who’s gotten one has been pleased with them.
These were only born because I needed a set and wasn’t going to pay for new real ones and nobody had a economical alternative.
Never thought I’d be ordering fabric by the 10’s of yards and cutting it up on my kitchen floor. Lol

ETA:
What do you think of the name “Flightline Creations”?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By clayvt:

ETA:
What do you think of the name “Flightline Creations”?
View Quote

I like it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
TrackIR up and running.  That changed things a bit for the better...
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
Ya its a big changer vr even more so. At least for me. Its not for everyone though.
View Quote

Yep, head tracking is awesome. I want to go VR, but I'm pretty sure my PC won't run it well. R5 2600, RTX 3060, 32 GB RAM.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:

Yep, head tracking is awesome. I want to go VR, but I'm pretty sure my PC won't run it well. R5 2600, RTX 3060, 32 GB RAM.
View Quote

You will probably be fine with a "standard" VR set up.  It takes a good bit of dialing in to get decent performance with DCS.  The best way to start fiddling is to turn the textures tree's shadows etc all to high setting and work backwards.  With DCS the high settings move the render load to the GPU as you back off the job is picked up my the CPU.  DCS runs single core so it is already overburdened the more the GPU can carry the better.  THis is why the old gold standard 1080ti is still one of the best GPU's for DCS.  The more VRAM your card has available the better for you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I've bought several planes and all the DCS terrains.  I have a newly built PC (11700KF, 32 GB DDR4 3200, 2070 Super), but my weak point is probably my 2070 super.  I have a basic stick, Extreme 3d pro.  Should I buy a dedicated stick that is plane specific and just get good with that plane?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I've bought several planes and all the DCS terrains.  I have a newly built PC (11700KF, 32 GB DDR4 3200, 2070 Super), but my weak point is probably my 2070 super.  I have a basic stick, Extreme 3d pro.  Should I buy a dedicated stick that is plane specific and just get good with that plane?
View Quote

I had your stick and bought an X56. You can make yours work, but you will be highly dependent on your keyboard. I started with the F-15, and being a basic cockpit, I was able to bind a TON of things using the mode switch. I had a combat mode, nav mode, and takeoff/landing/taxiing mode. It really helped. I started getting familiar with the F-15, then bought the F-18. Holy crap. Now I had a TON more to learn (still do). I thought I'd want to bind everything to the HOTAS again like the F-15, but the clickable cockpit is awesome and I actually really enjoy clicking everything. However, the X-56 really does allow for better control of the jet due to all the joysticks and switches. Target designator for the radar, trim, weapons selection, and a ton more things. I think a legit HOTAS makes it much more enjoyable over a simple stick like the Extreme 3D.

I will say this. I'm glad I bought Flaming Cliffs 3 when it was half off in summer of 2020. It got me into the game. However, I'd start with 1 high fidelity jet at a time and learn the systems. Some things transition from jet to jet, but every jet has it's own systems. I couldn't imagine trying to swap between the F-16 and F-18 and trying to learn both. I do want the F-16, but will wait until I have the F-18 down pretty well before I do. Having a air to ground and carrier capable jet is awesome, and has provided a lot more fun than the F-15.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

You definitely don't need a plane specific HOTAS, but Win Wing has Hornet and Viper specific setups that look pretty sweet. I have a Virpil setup that I use for everything.

As far as learning...it really depends on how much you fly. I have a bunch of full fidelity models, but I pretty much fly the Hornet 90% of the time, because I spent a TON of time learning it (and still suck). I'm barely capable in the Viper...not capable maybe is the better phrase....and haven't really even learned the Tomcat. I don't fly enough to really retain so many full fidelity modules.

When the F15 comes out I'll learn it as well as the Hornet though.

Long story short, I'd probably dedicate time to ONE module for quite a while, then branch out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#13]
View Quote

Unless you're one of those types who demands exact realism from your cockpit controls (sounds like you're not), I wouldn't bother with plane-specific hardware. My VKB stick is based on Russian aircraft and I rarely fly those. I would very much recommend a more serious stick and throttle as it makes the sim much, much more enjoyable. Virpil, VKB, and Winwing seem to be the most popular for the stuff between full cockpits and things like Thrustmaster, CH and Logitech. I have a mix of VKB and Virpil right now and will be purchasing some Winwing in the future along with probably MFG Crosswind rudder pedals.

Point being, the better your HOTAS capability, the less you'll be looking down searching for or remembering keyboard controls.

Pick your favorite plane, download Chuck's Guide to it, and learn it first. I highly recommend the F-18.

Once you've gotten used to the somewhat intuitive controls on the Hornet, you can set up other aircraft in a similar manner. It took me a long time, but I had about six different control layout sheets for different aircraft and rather than set up the controls as exactly as possible for realism, I tweaked different things so that all of my controls were somewhat close to the Hornet's layout so I could switch aircraft on the fly and not be completely lost, I.E. controls that almost every aircraft have were on the same buttons for all birds, like landing gear, speedbrakes, brakes, comms, map view, turning on my RWR and radar, radar elevation, the list goes on.

ETA: What planes did you get?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

Unless you're one of those types who demands exact realism from your cockpit controls (sounds like you're not), I wouldn't bother with plane-specific hardware. My VKB stick is based on Russian aircraft and I rarely fly those. I would very much recommend a more serious stick and throttle as it makes the sim much, much more enjoyable. Virpil, VKB, and Winwing seem to be the most popular for the stuff between full cockpits and things like Thrustmaster, CH and Logitech. I have a mix of VKB and Virpil right now and will be purchasing some Winwing in the future along with probably MFG Crosswind rudder pedals.

Point being, the better your HOTAS capability, the less you'll be looking down searching for or remembering keyboard controls.

Pick your favorite plane, download Chuck's Guide to it, and learn it first. I highly recommend the F-18.

Once you've gotten used to the somewhat intuitive controls on the Hornet, you can set up other aircraft in a similar manner. It took me a long time, but I had about six different control layout sheets for different aircraft and rather than set up the controls as exactly as possible for realism, I tweaked different things so that all of my controls were somewhat close to the Hornet's layout so I could switch aircraft on the fly and not be completely lost, I.E. controls that almost every aircraft have were on the same buttons for all birds, like landing gear, speedbrakes, brakes, comms, map view, turning on my RWR and radar, radar elevation, the list goes on.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

^ this is what I do too
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I’ll have a warthog stick available as soon as the extension for my Winwing comes in the mail. PM me if you’re interested
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:47:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

VR neck saver is a handy tool for check 6 stuff. I have mine setup so that past 90-100 degrees you get an "accelerated" motion to check your six
View Quote

$didn’t know about this. I don’t use for online in pvp because it’s less competitive. This might fix it
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:30:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#17]
I really can't seem to get consistency with the F-18 radar. I've tried changing to a 4 bar scan, change the scan altitude zone, change the width of the cone, how long contacts stay populated, etc. I get on 2-3 nights a week right now for 2-3 hours at a time. Some nights I seem to have good success with picking up contacts, some nights I don't. I am on PVE servers, and I am trying to get bogey dope from the AWACS and not rely on the map. However, I am checking the map to then change settings and figure out what is going on. I went 9-5 last night if I remember correctly, with one 2-0 sortie before returning to base, and one 3-0 sortie. I'd say half my kills were launching aim 120's in visual mode within 10 miles and I couldn't do ANYTHING to get contacts to appear on radar. I'd verify their altitude on the map and everything. Could never get them. It seems like I rarely get anything to show up beyond 30 miles. I had a ton of fun last night, but I didn't have this trouble in the F-15.

ETA: several times last night we'd not have anything on radar with a verified target on the map within 20-30 miles, and an F-16 10-20 miles behind us would have them locked and an aim 120 launched.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#19]
south atlantic is looking good

South Atlantic Map Early Access/Preview | First Look | RAZBAM | Digital Combat Simulator | DCS |
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive been of mind that the South Atlantic and the Strike Eagle would come out together. Be pretty awesome if Razbam has been trolling everyone with the later this year stuff. GS said the SA map is coming very soon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BRS1912:
Ive been of mind that the South Atlantic and the Strike Eagle would come out together. Be pretty awesome if Razbam has been trolling everyone with the later this year stuff. GS said the SA map is coming very soon.
View Quote

Yeah that would be awesome
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Gotta think of the radar as a bigass flashlight on the front of the jet that you move around. I find it helps me to point the jet directly where i think they are. Such that you can narrow your search and increase the scan frequency and have a better chance of picking them up.
View Quote

That's what I was trying to show I was doing. Not just where I think they are, but where they actually are on the F10 map. Being that it is a PVE server, the red jets are shown on the map. I was clicking them to check speed, bearing, and altitude. I can have them exactly in the middle of my radar cone at 30 miles and they won't be on radar.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]
For the last part of my Winwing F-16ex grip and super libra base in and all hooked up.
I gotta say, I actually prefer the button feel on the warthog over the Winwing, but the base is much nicer. I did a few hours in the Apache last night and it was much easier to control the thing.
The added side buttons of the ex will make CPG a little easier.
Overall I’m happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
I just want an ETA on the F4E
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Lol no. Map is coming soon. Eagle maybe Q3 q4.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
I just want an ETA on the F4E
View Quote

"This year"

Nvm previous pronouncements about the f14...
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Lol no. Map is coming soon. Eagle maybe Q3 q4.
View Quote

Such is true, but every video showing the SA map has had the Strike Eagle in it as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#28]

"This year"

Nvm previous pronouncements about the f14...
View Quote
Yeah I know maybe they're being more cautious about an exact date with the Apache debacle considering it is HB/ED
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Just finished my newest cinematic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3f3LiA9oQ
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 3:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riflenoob] [#30]
Originally Posted By GR00VYJERRY:

View Quote

This kind of video is why I downloaded DCS last night and spent 6 hours trying to land a T51 Mustang. Thinking of buying a used T16000 3 piece setup and trackIr.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Riflenoob:

This kind of video is why I downloaded DCS last night and spent 6 hours trying to land a T51 Mustang. Thinking of buying a used T16000 3 piece setup and trackIr.
View Quote

Thanks. Takes a lot of time to get these videos made since you can’t rewind tracks in DCS but I like making them.

I say go for it. I started with the t16000 combo set up and track IR. Now I have a huge monitor,Virpil HOTAS, 3 MFDs, etc. if you do download come check out our discord. Link is in the YouTube video posted above. In fact anyone looking for a group to fly with can come check us out. I lead our warbirds section and our competition team but we have a dedicated a10c group as well. We run 4 missions a week. One for jets, helos, warbirds, and the liberation campaign. We have about 12 servers that are always running 24/7. Some are for warbirds, some for jets and helos. There is a lot of stuff to fly and most of our servers are dynamic and some are for training.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GR00VYJERRY:

I just got the trackir and it’s a game changer for sure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Ok, I need a bit of help. I have seen several members that use VR mention binding their mouse click to their hotas and using the little crosshair/mouse cursor that tracks with the VR. So my question is what is the command I need to search for in controls so that I can bind it. I'm flying an F-18 and can't seem to find the command anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Czechnologist85:
Ok, I need a bit of help. I have seen several members that use VR mention binding their mouse click to their hotas and using the little crosshair/mouse cursor that tracks with the VR. So my question is what is the command I need to search for in controls so that I can bind it. I'm flying an F-18 and can't seem to find the command anywhere.
View Quote

I actually use joystick gremlin to bind that, but you should be able to do it within DCS too, but not in the aircraft binding- I believe it's in UI layer (but could be mistaken)
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#35]
F-4E should be out this year, I haven't seen anything indicating it isn't. Also haven't seen anything about ED being involved in the development at all, it's all HB.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
F-4E should be out this year, I haven't seen anything indicating it isn't. Also haven't seen anything about ED being involved in the development at all, it's all HB.
View Quote
I read somewhere ( possibly DCS forum) it was a joint project. Belsimtek was also slated to do the F4E before ED bought them out and it was supposedly in development by them at the time. I suppose it's possible that ED gave everything Belsimtek had to HB.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

I actually use joystick gremlin to bind that, but you should be able to do it within DCS too, but not in the aircraft binding- I believe it's in UI layer (but could be mistaken)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Czechnologist85:

You are correct.  There are four for left click, right click, scroll up, and scroll down.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I read somewhere ( possibly DCS forum) it was a joint project. Belsimtek was also slated to do the F4E before ED bought them out and it was supposedly in development by them at the time. I suppose it's possible that ED gave everything Belsimtek had to HB.
View Quote

BST is ED. But yeah they may have given HB docs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#39]

BST is ED. But yeah they may have given HB docs.
View Quote
Lol yeah I said they bought them out
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#41]
South Atlantic map is loose.  70GB!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:40:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Stick with it she’s a beast.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#43]
I like the f16 performance. I dont like the hud or systems. Maybe it's just cuz i started the game in the hornet
View Quote

I feel the exact same way. It's a dream to fly. I hate the systems.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Lol yeah I said they bought them out
View Quote

They were always ED. They were split off from ED as a proof of concept on how 3rd parties would work. Once there were enough 3rd parties they got reabsorbed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Stoop:
South Atlantic map is loose.  70GB!!!!!
View Quote

Yeah it's an ok map for EA. Some perf issues and alot of people are complaining about textures.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#46]

They were always ED. They were split off from ED as a proof of concept on how 3rd parties would work. Once there were enough 3rd parties they got reabsorbed.
View Quote
Oh my mistake
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#47]

I feel the exact same way. It's a dream to fly. I hate the systems.
View Quote

I feel like the vipers work flow is a little easier.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Agreed, especially manual steer point entries and flight plans.

About the only thing the Hornet has over the Viper is more weapons appropriate for maritime strike, and an easier (for me) cold start flow.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SpiritZeroThree:

About the only thing the Hornet has over the Viper is more weapons appropriate for maritime strike, and an easier (for me) cold start flow
View Quote
I do like the extra MFD in the hornet.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#50]

About the only thing the Hornet has over the Viper is more weapons appropriate for maritime strike, and an easier (for me) cold start flow.
View All Quotes

That's funny, I actually prefer the cold start in the Viper, but pretty much everything else I find more intuitive in the Hornet.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top