Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Does the MiG 29 still have a 40km radar?
View Quote

40km is best case it's less in lookdown.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

That was my thought too, but it was surprisingly quick and painless for me.
May try the toolkit later to tune it a bit.

Picked up the viper. Workflows are weird after the hornet, but man you gotta love that perfect visibility...

I'm also a terrible helo pilot in other news lol. But so is George so...
View Quote

Does it improve framerates at all?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That was my thought too, but it was surprisingly quick and painless for me.
May try the toolkit later to tune it a bit.

Picked up the viper. Workflows are weird after the hornet, but man you gotta love that perfect visibility...

I'm also a terrible helo pilot in other news lol. But so is George so...

Yeah it did for me a lot. Still going to get a little stutter in MP but it's way better
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]

40km is best case it's less in lookdown.
View Quote
I imagine it should be more like 40nm at least right?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#5]
I imagine it should be more like 40nm at least right?
View Quote

LOL currently the hornet radar is about that in DCS (maybe 45 or something vs a 5M tgt) IRL the  N019  radar was pretty much shit, lots of problems with commie era "communist microchips are biggest in the whole world comrade" stuff (the upcoming Mirage F1 and mig23 and F4 radars should also be a shit smeared "treat" IF they actually model them right). The upgraded one in the 29S was better but still not great. Then again the 29 was the budget fighter while the Su-27 was the "good" one, and the 29 was supposed be used with a Lazur like GCI system so radar was used like 1% of the time(not modeled at all in DCS, if you want an idea check out the TAF on the M2k (lazur is way better/more complex).  That being said, 80's US radars on the F16 weren't much better. The later versions of the APG-66 was seeing like 20-30 miles vs fighter targets at best. People expect way too much out of radars in DCS, and ED mostly lets them all overperform without modeling any of the actual drawbacks. Some 3rd parties like Raz or HB have tried to do better. ED though has really dropped the ball on any actual sensor modeling and development (see current "great" FLIR model) or shit like IR missiles seeing through clouds 1year+ and countiong.

Also for all the dudes raving about the hornet, many of its systems are broken as fuck. Radar should be way better, its missing MSI entirely (imagine getting shootable tracks from your TGP, your RWR, and your buddy's link 16) The harm implementation is well... Not good. The laser code shit is a meme. ETC... At least they recently added jammer priority modes... At this point the Hornet is the last plane you should buy if you want "realism". And ED ain't fixin any of that shit. Cuz its now in "sustainment" i.e. fuck the customer mode.

The Viper is better at this point, even if the radar is optimistic, they at least applied a look down modifier. (hint, you wanna see what an actual radar should kinda look/work like? Look the updated one in the M2k.) The main thing broken on the viper is the actual kinematics, you shouldn't be going M1.4+ on the deck without dying.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Yeah it did for me a lot. Still going to get a little stutter in MP but it's way better
View Quote

SOLD... I'll invest some time in trying to make this work then. I'm generally getting like 60's/70's online with it, but if I can bump that to like 90....
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]

SOLD... I'll invest some time in trying to make this work then. I'm generally getting like 60's/70's online with it, but if I can bump that to like 90....
View All Quotes

It's really hardware dependent from what I understand, so you may see huge improvement, or almost none.

I still love the hornet lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:47:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#8]

It's really hardware dependent from what I understand, so you may see huge improvement, or almost none.

I still love the hornet lol
View Quote

I want the hornet to not suck, but it does and it is what it is at this point. Its basically the new F5, abandoned. Maybe they will go back and make you re-buy it and fix some of that shit. Like come on, the laser codes stuff, pretty much everyone has standardized on the kneeboard to change those on the bombs EXCEPT ED...

Hm, well I have the highest end hardware, will it do anything for me?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
It might. I have a 3080 64g of ram and a 5600x, so pretty decent system and I saw significant improvement.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#10]
It might. I have a 3080 64g of ram and a 5600x, so pretty decent system and I saw significant improvement.
View Quote

Cool I'll try it. I've been vaguely following along with it by I've been having "other" VR issues (yay HP cables). I just don't wanna sink a ton of time into something thats gonna net me like 3fps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Cool I'll try it. I've been vaguely following along with it by I've been having "other" VR issues (yay HP cables). I just don't wanna sink a ton of time into something thats gonna net me like 3fps.
View All Quotes

God those cables were a nightmare
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Jumped in the F-18 tonight and started mapping controls. WAY more complex than the F-15. I knew the FC3 jets were simple, but dang. Gotta start figuring out how to work the systems and how best to bind them to my HOTAS. Flies WAY nicer than the F-15, so that is a big plus.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
Jumped in the F-18 tonight and started mapping controls. WAY more complex than the F-15. I knew the FC3 jets were simple, but dang. Gotta start figuring out how to work the systems and how best to bind them to my HOTAS. Flies WAY nicer than the F-15, so that is a big plus.
View Quote

Chuck's Guide (and HOTAS mapping)
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#14]

I'm pretty comfortable in the Hornet, but I just did the first Apache training mission...FML

It's like trying to squat on a bosu ball.

Anyway, in other news, for VR users google check out Open XR
I just installed it and it's a fucking game changer. Getting 45-70FPS on Syria in a Hornet. Marianas still kinda sucks, but it's better than it was and I haven't tuned anything with it yet.
View Quote

I tried it and it just gave me a black screen for DCS.  WMR would show that homepage but it wouldn't show DCS at all.  Repaired DCS and went back to what I had.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

I tried it and it just gave me a black screen for DCS.  WMR would show that homepage but it wouldn't show DCS at all.  Repaired DCS and went back to what I had.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

I'm pretty comfortable in the Hornet, but I just did the first Apache training mission...FML

It's like trying to squat on a bosu ball.

Anyway, in other news, for VR users google check out Open XR
I just installed it and it's a fucking game changer. Getting 45-70FPS on Syria in a Hornet. Marianas still kinda sucks, but it's better than it was and I haven't tuned anything with it yet.

Bummer, sorry it didn't work out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Generally I'm of the mind to mostly only bind things that are on the real HOTAS then flip switches in the cockpit for everything else. The only exceptions for me are certain switches that are hard to reach in VR like OBOGS and then idle commands for startup. Just my 2 cents. I also have mouse button 1/2 bound to the HOTAS so I can flip switches.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:

View All Quotes

Thanks! I won't be able to get on again until Saturday, so I was planning on reading the internet and watching videos until then.

Generally I'm of the mind to mostly only bind things that are on the real HOTAS then flip switches in the cockpit for everything else. The only exceptions for me are certain switches that are hard to reach in VR like OBOGS and then idle commands for startup. Just my 2 cents. I also have mouse button 1/2 bound to the HOTAS so I can flip switches.

I'm currently using a hat switch to look around and my mouse is kind of out of the way to allow room for my HOTAS on either side of my keyboard. I had pretty much everything I needed bound for the F-15 and was hoping to be able to do similar for the F-18. I'll likely leave startup, etc. unbound as that easy enough to do sitting on the tarmac. I am hoping to get facetracknoir to work by this weekend as Track IR isn't happening anytime soon. Just gotta go pickup the webcam I ordered yesterday.

I get the idea of only wanting to bind what is actually on the real HOTAS, but I'm not jumping in a jet anytime ever (shocking! ), so I want to do what I think I makes sense and will like.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Thanks! I won't be able to get on again until Saturday, so I was planning on reading the internet and watching videos until then.

I'm currently using a hat switch to look around and my mouse is kind of out of the way to allow room for my HOTAS on either side of my keyboard. I had pretty much everything I needed bound for the F-15 and was hoping to be able to do similar for the F-18. I'll likely leave startup, etc. unbound as that easy enough to do sitting on the tarmac. I am hoping to get facetracknoir to work by this weekend as Track IR isn't happening anytime soon. Just gotta go pickup the webcam I ordered yesterday.

I get the idea of only wanting to bind what is actually on the real HOTAS, but I'm not jumping in a jet anytime ever (shocking! ), so I want to do what I think I makes sense and will like.
View All Quotes

Yeah, do whatever works. Without track IR you're going to have to bind a lot with modifiers I guess. Part of the fun off the full fidelity models is the ability to actually flip switches and not have to memorize as much HOTAS bindings.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought back in on the sale.  I've had FC3 and the Blackshark for years, even played around in here way back.  But I've been over in IL-2GB for the past year+, so I snagged the BF109K4, Normandy, WWII Assets, and it's campaign.  Also picked up the Republic campaign for the Ka-50.

Also, I was able to get my DCS working in VR, which is pretty nice, both it and IL2 are so much more fun in VR!  I also have TrackIR so I flip back and forth depending on what I'm doing.  (MP usually sees TIR, with having to manage SRS, maps, discord, etc.)

Might pick up either the Syria Map, or maybe one of the new jets to have a fast mover to play with while the sale is still going.  Leaning towards F16 or the F5.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:
I bought back in on the sale.  I've had FC3 and the Blackshark for years, even played around in here way back.  But I've been over in IL-2GB for the past year+, so I snagged the BF109K4, Normandy, WWII Assets, and it's campaign.  Also picked up the Republic campaign for the Ka-50.

Also, I was able to get my DCS working in VR, which is pretty nice, both it and IL2 are so much more fun in VR!  I also have TrackIR so I flip back and forth depending on what I'm doing.  (MP usually sees TIR, with having to manage SRS, maps, discord, etc.)

Might pick up either the Syria Map, or maybe one of the new jets to have a fast mover to play with while the sale is still going.  Leaning towards F16 or the F5.
View Quote

Syria is a resource hog, but really nice otherwise.

If you do MP you don't want the F5 IMO. Viper is a better choice.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Yeah, do whatever works. Without track IR you're going to have to bind a lot with modifiers I guess. Part of the fun off the full fidelity models is the ability to actually flip switches and not have to memorize as much HOTAS bindings.
View Quote

That makes sense. Hopefully I can get the face tracking working with the $25 webcam vs $200 for Track IR. Then I'll need to either figure out mouse clicks on the HOTAS or figure a better spot for me mouse. Is the mouse pointer available in the center of the view when using head tracking?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#22]

That makes sense. Hopefully I can get the face tracking working with the $25 webcam vs $200 for Track IR. Then I'll need to either figure out mouse clicks on the HOTAS or figure a better spot for me mouse. Is the mouse pointer available in the center of the view when using head tracking?
View All Quotes

Not sure exactly how it works for headtracking- probably the same for VR. Basically there's the little blue cursor that stays centered in my view and I look at a switch and press my M1/2 button to flip it. I have the actual mouse on a platform next to my stick too in case I need to use it for the map or a hard to reach switch that isn't bound.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Not sure exactly how it works for headtracking- probably the same for VR. Basically there's the little blue cursor that stays centered in my view and I look at a switch and press my M1/2 button to flip it. I have the actual mouse on a platform next to my stick too in case I need to use it for the map or a hard to reach switch that isn't bound.
View All Quotes

Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Yeah, thats the best part of FF. Though for the modern jets once you are setup and airborne you seldom need much more than the hotas.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:22:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:

View Quote

I love the F-5 and the new popularity of Cold War servers brought it out of the shadows again. It’s a fun and simple module, it’s just broken AF. The gun sight doesn’t track right and give proper solutions. The gyro compass/Horizon really doesn’t work (don’t know if that’s a big or a feature) and the flight model is borked. It will fly without wings and used to pull more instant and sustained G’s than the Viper. So if you want it get it on sale.

The Viper is awesome it’s still getting fixes and features. It’s much more complicated since it’s a 4th gen vs the F-5’s 2.5-3rd gen fighter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:46:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#26]
Originally Posted By RichieRich3902:

I love the F-5 and the new popularity of Cold War servers brought it out of the shadows again. It’s a fun and simple module, it’s just broken AF. The gun sight doesn’t track right and give proper solutions. The gyro compass/Horizon really doesn’t work (don’t know if that’s a big or a feature) and the flight model is borked. It will fly without wings and used to pull more instant and sustained G’s than the Viper. So if you want it get it on sale.

The Viper is awesome it’s still getting fixes and features. It’s much more complicated since it’s a 4th gen vs the F-5’s 2.5-3rd gen fighter.
View Quote

Yup 100% correct. The F5 is good honest simple plane, easy to learn, hard to master. And it very much has its place on the CW servers. Unfortunately much like the F86 its a victim of ED's fuck it its an old module mentality. I.e. shit breaks gets reported, and doesn't get fixed for years. It like about 5 other modules is in desperate need of a refresh, at least on the coding side, but also increasingly graphically, though I'm sure there are probably some decent cockpit mods for it to help on that end. And now that the F18 is considered "old" news, I expect more or less the same thing will happen to it. The one thing I will say for the 3rd parties is that they absolutely do a far better job than ED at supporting their older modules. Even Razbam basically re-did the mirage and in large part the harrier in the past year, and both are more or less in very good place right now. Hell even M3 keeps the ancient 21 limping along with and update here or there and fix the worst bugs pretty quickly.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#27]
if anyone wanna do a flight in the Apache tonight, im available for both seats, and I kinda master the beast (so far with what is modelled) and I can help someone learn if needed.

let me know. available for the next 3 hours
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 12:57:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#28]
I got the facetracknoir working in DCS today. Was pretty consistent during the day with natural light in my office vs the overhead fixture tonight. I'll tinker with it tomorrow during the day and again Tuesday night to see if it is the lighting. If so hopefully I can add a lamp or two to the room. $30 to get a webcam and pay for the program isn't much of a loss if I can get it working consistent.

Just gonna to with through the training missions for the F-18 to start figuring things out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Just getting into DCS.  Currently have the P-51D and the F-16.

Any suggestions on maps to add while the sale is going on?

Next plane purchase will either be the Hornet or the A-10c.  Leaning towards the A-10.

Looking for maps that suit those planes but will probably fly the F-16 the most.

The Normandy and Channels maps appear to be geared towards the Thunderbolt.  Are they worth it for the P-51?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By hdbint:
Just getting into DCS.  Currently have the P-51D and the F-16.

Any suggestions on maps to add while the sale is going on?

Next plane purchase will either be the Hornet or the A-10c.  Leaning towards the A-10.

Looking for maps that suit those planes but will probably fly the F-16 the most.

The Normandy and Channels maps appear to be geared towards the Thunderbolt.  Are they worth it for the P-51?
View Quote

NNTR isn’t worth it unless you really want it for some personal reason.

Between Syria and PG I’d lean Syria since the gulf has some cool spaces and tons of nothing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskanforfreedom] [#31]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

NNTR isn't worth it unless you really want it for some personal reason.

Between Syria and PG I'd lean Syria since the gulf has some cool spaces and tons of nothing.
View Quote
Syria definitely is best map. I like PG personally but a lot of historical stuff happened there and that's right up my alley. I'll agree that NTTR ain't worth it only good for pretending to be in gunfighter school. ETA Syria is a must for the F16 IMO
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the input on maps.  Logged in yesterday afternoon to buy and the sale had ended.  Will catch the next one.  Have a lot to learn so no big rush.

I did figure out that my new hotas warthog throttle button 1 slew was bricked out of the box.  Was learning rdr and thought it was that I didn't know what I was doing.  After multiple settings checks, saw that the x / y for button 1 on throttle doesn't register in TARGET or Windows settings.  Pushing the slew in registers but no axis movement. Have a ticket open with thrustmaster and waiting on a response.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the input on maps.  Logged in yesterday afternoon to buy and the sale had ended.  Will catch the next one.  Have a lot to learn so no big rush.

I did figure out that my new hotas warthog throttle button 1 slew was bricked out of the box.  Was learning rdr and thought it was that I didn't know what I was doing.  After multiple settings checks, saw that the x / y for button 1 on throttle doesn't register in TARGET or Windows settings.  Pushing the slew in registers but no axis movement. Have a ticket open with thrustmaster and waiting on a response.
View Quote

Did you try calibrating the slew?

As an aside, this slew upgrade is almost mandatory IMO. TM should be slapped for using that stupid little mouse nipple thing. https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:06:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#34]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

As an aside, this slew upgrade is almost mandatory IMO. TM should be slapped for using that stupid little mouse nipple thing. https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter
View Quote

Yeah honestly I Don't even recommend TM products anyomore, between needing to upgraded immediately and then having failed me multiple times, about the only nice to say about them is that their grips work with other bases and are made of metal which is nice. Winwing is far better at the price point these days. And Virpil is better still if you can afford it. Not a fan of VKB but some like em.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Syria definitely is best map. I like PG personally but a lot of historical stuff happened there and that's right up my alley. I'll agree that NTTR ain't worth it only good for pretending to be in gunfighter school. ETA Syria is a must for the F16 IMO
View Quote

My 2 cents on maps.

Syria is the best one to get overall. But it is performance intensive. Probably the best helo map on the west side of the map.
PG, Decent map, runs well, getting long in the tooth, lots of "nothing" in iran which isn't really all that real.
NTTR: you need it for redflag campaigns which can be good, but overall no one runs it online.

WW2
Channel is better than normandy. Normandy is just a bad idea and is super dated in DCS at this point.

The upcoming falklands map, with no actual usable flaklands war era assets will be an interesting "buy".
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#36]

My 2 cents on maps.

Syria is the best one to get overall. But it is performance intensive. Probably the best helo map on the west side of the map.
PG, Decent map, runs well, getting long in the tooth, lots of "nothing" in iran which isn't really all that real.
NTTR: you need it for redflag campaigns which can be good, but overall no one runs it online.

WW2
Channel is better than normandy. Normandy is just a bad idea and is super dated in DCS at this point.

The upcoming falklands map, with no actual usable flaklands war era assets will be an interesting "buy".
View All Quotes

My 2 cents on maps.

WW2

I'll probably buy it just for something new.

Agreed on Syria, by far the best map. I play it probably 90% of the time. I like PG too, but only the "nice" parts lol.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah honestly I Don't even recommend TM products anyomore, between needing to upgraded immediately and then having failed me multiple times, about the only nice to say about them is that their grips work with other bases and are made of metal which is nice. Winwing is far better at the price point these days. And Virpil is better still if you can afford it. Not a fan of VKB but some like em.
View All Quotes

I still like my TMWH throttle because the A-10 is still my go-to fixed wing module and I like the 1:1 control mapping that I'm used to, but yeah there's better quality options these days. I ran my TMWH stick for less than two years, in that time, one of the wires at the grip connector in the base broke twice and I had to re-solder it. The 'o-ring" that everyone calls it (it's really just a large rubber washer) spit out of the gimbal as well, I lasered a new one out of teflon at work and fixed that.

I bought a VKB Gunfighter in 2016 with the 8" extension and TMWH grip adapter. Overall I like it, but it hasn't been perfect either. Once after a long hiatus, the firmware seemed to go totally corrupt and the software absolutely would not work on my PC, I had to use my laptop to flash it. It's also a good thing they send a bunch of springs to tune the gimbal, because I've had a couple of those break, one just broke on me yesterday. Virpil and VKB were both kinda in their infancy at the time I bought, and WINWING was years away.

The TMWH grip has been mostly trouble free but the pickle button did die a couple years ago, I replaced it with the nice Otto brand switch.

I really like what I see with the WINWING stuff.

My 2 cents on maps.

WW2

Mostly agreed. But I did get many, many hours of enjoyment out of the NTTR map though, back when it was the only map in DCS 2.0, that's when I found the server that I still play on today and obviously that was the only map. It remained in heavy rotation until Syria came out.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

View Quote

Yeah, already tried the slew calibration with no change.  Ordered Delta Sims slew upgrade already.  Will see if that fixes it. If not, I guess it will go for repair or I will return it for something else.

I had looked at virpil stuff but everything looked like it was backordered.

Also have the MFG rudder and track ir 5 I'm waiting on to be delivered.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Yeah, already tried the slew calibration with no change.  Ordered Delta Sims slew upgrade already.  Will see if that fixes it. If not, I guess it will go for repair or I will return it for something else.

I had looked at virpil stuff but everything looked like it was backordered.

Also have the MFG rudder and track ir 5 I'm waiting on to be delivered.
View Quote

Virpil is always back ordered.  At this point the average wait is just a couple of weeks.

My last shipment damn near spent more time with FedEx in Paris than the back order time was.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:37:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GRENDEL87] [#40]
DP.  Not sure what happened

ETA ran through the calibration again and got the slew working.  Don't know why it didn't work the 1st time.   Makes locking a hell of a lot easier.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Has anyone tried the A-4 Skyhawk community mod? Just found out about it and curious if it's worth messing with.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2alpha-down0] [#42]
Originally Posted By Exetik:
Has anyone tried the A-4 Skyhawk community mod? Just found out about it and curious if it's worth messing with.
View Quote

One of the best, if not the best, mods for DCS.  On par with some modules, though the dev team would never admit it.

I had a small part in the launch trailer.

DCS World: Community A-4E v2.0 "Forever Free Update" Launch Trailer
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Absolutely, it's one of my overall favorites.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GRENDEL87] [#44]
Can someone give me a crash course in what I need for server communications?  It's a given that I'll need a headset with a mic.  I thought I read something about using an add on for radio coms but cant find it now.

Is this something I can practice offline (longshot there but figured id ask).  

Just don't want to get on a server and piss people off bc I'm not following protocol or can't communicate.

ETA before I knew better, I installed the stable version.  Looks like most online stuff needs the beta.  Can I install the beta alongside the stable for online play?  If so, will my purchased modules load up in the beta after installed?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Can someone give me a crash course in what I need for server communications?  It's a given that I'll need a headset with a mic.  I thought I read something about using an add on for radio coms but cant find it now.

Is this something I can practice offline (longshot there but figured id ask).  

Just don't want to get on a server and piss people off bc I'm not following protocol or can't communicate.

ETA before I knew better, I installed the stable version.  Looks like most online stuff needs the beta.  Can I install the beta alongside the stable for online play?  If so, will my purchased modules load up in the beta after installed?
View Quote

You are looking for SRS simple radio standalone.

And I think you can run stable and beta at the same time if you arent on steam. Though there is no point to stable, it's literally the least broken beta that's like a month or two old usually. And currently I think both are caught up so currently no different.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Yup best mod in dcs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Took about 4 months, but I got my full mission qual in my virtual F-14 sim group. Great group of people who fly a lot and its a load of fun. This DCS thing is incredible and its pretty amazing we have something like this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#49]
@SigChef and I are getting the F-18 figured out. We were on a training server last night sinking ships and it was an absolute blast! 20 people on a server and we were the only ones going for naval targets.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:58:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpiritZeroThree] [#50]
@SigChef and I are getting the F-18 figured out. We were on a training server last night sinking ships and it was an absolute blast! 20 people on a server and we were the only ones going for naval targets.
View Quote

Walleyes are your best friend for killing naval targets - as long as you can stay out of SAM range, or get the target to empty the magazines.

Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top