Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

At least we can now kill chappie properly...

Overall I'm impressed. Clouds look great, I haven't found much broken yet. Maybe the 9x tone is broken on the viper, but while annoying its minor.

I definitely did loose some performance. Which is facepalm worthy with all their claims.
View Quote
Seems unstable had a crash on loading after playing one mission and getting ripped up by AAA. Seems like they added some more single player missions and instant action scenarios.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple questions guys -

Doing a gun duel, I go to aa mode, use the tdc to lock, select gun. Target locks and no problem. However if I lose him, then I lose the lock and have to screw around with button mashing cage uncage, aa mode and whatever to get it to lock again.
The second time I lock him, he stays locked no matter what.
What am I doing wrong?

Also, for landing there's something I'm missing about getting the approach vector. If I ask the atc they give me the wrong one. The one in the mission briefing seems to be wrong too. I plug the tacan in which I got, but then want to use the course switch to get the right approach and am screwing something up there too.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]
ATC is going to give you a vector to the airport.  It's not smart enough to give you radar vectors to intercept the runway heading.  For the tacan you will want to set the course to the runway heading (if you don't know then just use the runway number and add a zero, it will be within five degrees).

Take for example this approach plate.  You would set your course to 119 and intercept that radial off of the navaid while descending to the heights on the bottom left based on the distance measuring equipment.

If the navaid isn't on the airfield then you may have to overfly the navaid at one course then adjust to another one once pass as seen here.

The problem is that on the Caucus map there aren't really any standard approach plates and navaids are few and far between (at least the western style ones).
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
ATC is going to give you a vector to the airport.  It's not smart enough to give you radar vectors to intercept the runway heading.  For the tacan you will want to set the course to the runway heading (if you don't know then just use the runway number and add a zero, it will be within five degrees).

Take for example this approach plate.  You would set your course to 119 and intercept that radial off of the navaid while descending to the heights on the bottom left based on the distance measuring equipment.

If the navaid isn't on the airfield then you may have to overfly the navaid at one course then adjust to another one once pass as seen here.

The problem is that on the Caucus map there aren't really any standard approach plates and navaids are few and far between (at least the western style ones).
View Quote

Ah gotcha. So what about the carriers?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I believe it's a briefed item from mother when you do a case iii on the supercarrier.  With the free carrier I think you're kind of out of luck, short doing an F10 to estimate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#6]

I believe it's a briefed item from mother when you do a case iii on the supercarrier.  With the free carrier I think you're kind of out of luck, short doing an F10 to estimate.
View All Quotes

I do have the super carrier, it seems that azimuth was off too, but more likely I drifted off course if the bearing they brief is the final.

In other news I learned that I need to watch some videos on how to operate the radar and countermeasures lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:48:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I definitely did loose some performance. Which is facepalm worthy with all their claims.
View Quote

I'm roughly the same as before.  A little better in some conditions, a little worse in others.  No VR for me, I'm sure that helps
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:06:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:42:46 AM EDT
[#10]

At least we can now kill chappie properly...

Overall I'm impressed. Clouds look great, I haven't found much broken yet. Maybe the 9x tone is broken on the viper, but while annoying its minor.

View Quote

I didn’t, are you using the proper 457.30 drivers ?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:54:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#11]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
It seems its off a certain amount from the direction  that its set up in the map. Idk if its a true north or magnetic north thing or what but when you check in the carrier at least will give you the correct heading
View Quote

I checked in immediately upon mission start and they gave me like 153 degrees (this was on a carrier landing qualification mission). The AZ for Mother in the briefing was 123 and seemed to be closer to correct....might be a magnetic vs grid though now that you mention it. That would have probably made the 123 pretty close.

BTW I just installed the new nvidia driver that dropped last night, it reset all my nvidia control panel setting so be sure you know them before you install. It didn't reset it last time for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#12]
Originally Posted By Shung:

I didn’t, are you using the proper 457.30 drivers ?
View Quote

Hm, I'm on 466.11 right now. But originally I was on whatever was before that. Does ED actually list which driver they want you to use? Jesus, that 457.3 is from last november? You sure on that?

For me its weird, my GPU frame times are up 50% or so on test missions (regardless of cloud settings, med-ultra). I.e. from 10ms to 15ms (with the absolutely baffling exception of the harrier). Offline at least CPU frames are fine 10ms or less. So I'm not sure its a cloud thing, though my log file has a shitton of dx11 shader errors with "cloud" in the name.

Online, at least as of last night its a shitshow... CPU frame times are trash 20-30ms, GPU frame times in the 20's. Once airborne I can get to 45 or so, but I was getting 60-70 most maps in 2.5.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:30:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#13]

I checked in immediately upon mission start and they gave me like 153 degrees (this was on a carrier landing qualification mission). The AZ for Mother in the briefing was 123 and seemed to be closer to correct....might be a magnetic vs grid though now that you mention it. That would have probably made the 123 pretty close.

BTW I just installed the new nvidia driver that dropped last night, it reset all my nvidia control panel setting so be sure you know them before you install. It didn't reset it last time for me.
View Quote

Awww, hells no.... Off to check that... 'ing nvida

ETA Odd, didn't change mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Huh weird. Good thing I took a screen shot of everything first lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#15]
Looks like rolling back to the februray driver worked wonders... Frametimes went from 15 to 10 just like that.  Thanks Shung. 461.72
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:40:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#16]

Hm, I'm on 466.11 right now. But originally I was on whatever was before that. Does ED actually list which driver they want you to use? Jesus, that 457.3 is from last november? You sure on that?

For me its weird, my GPU frame times are up 50% or so on test missions (regardless of cloud settings, med-ultra). I.e. from 10ms to 15ms (with the absolutely baffling exception of the harrier). Offline at least CPU frames are fine 10ms or less. So I'm not sure its a cloud thing, though my log file has a shitton of dx11 shader errors with "cloud" in the name.

Online, at least as of last night its a shitshow... CPU frame times are trash 20-30ms, GPU frame times in the 20's. Once airborne I can get to 45 or so, but I was getting 60-70 most maps in 2.5.
View Quote

for VR, it seems so - 457.30 baby.

link in the video description

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I figured out all the things I was having problems with. I had a fundamental misunderstanding of how the ACM mode works, but I got it figured out- just need to practice.

I also figured out the carrier thing- ED basically says to just subtract 10 from the course ATC gives you to account for the deck offset. ATC will give you an AZ in magnetic, so no need to account for declination.

"Simple" stuff that can be a pain to figure out....just had a (rough) 3 wire landing though, so it's coming along. This game is interesting. I was talking to my wife about it, it's not..."fun"...but it's rewarding. Like lifting. Lifting sucks, it's hard and weights are heavy. This is kind of like that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#18]
..."Simple" stuff that can be a pain to figure out....just had a (rough) 3 wire landing though, so it's coming along. This game is interesting. I was talking to my wife about it, it's not..."fun"...but it's rewarding. Like lifting. Lifting sucks, it's hard and weights are heavy. This is kind of like that.
View Quote

exactly.  i've been going through the maple flag missions for the A10 and am all the way to tactical ones.  i've been stuck on the JTAC one, there's so much to do and set up and chatter with the jtac, and you spend like an hour with full startup and landing and the mission inbetween.  and it isn't super "fun", some of them are super hard, but it really feels rewarding once you actually get some of these things down.

though the other day my cheapass thrustmaster pedals failed so i shelled out for some MFG ones, waiting on those to be able to get back going again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:29:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#19]
Originally Posted By gardnerjr:

exactly.  i've been going through the maple flag missions for the A10 and am all the way to tactical ones.  i've been stuck on the JTAC one, there's so much to do and set up and chatter with the jtac, and you spend like an hour with full startup and landing and the mission inbetween.  and it isn't super "fun", some of them are super hard, but it really feels rewarding once you actually get some of these things down.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gardnerjr:
..."Simple" stuff that can be a pain to figure out....just had a (rough) 3 wire landing though, so it's coming along. This game is interesting. I was talking to my wife about it, it's not..."fun"...but it's rewarding. Like lifting. Lifting sucks, it's hard and weights are heavy. This is kind of like that.

Lol I haven't even got that far yet! Did some training with a maverick and the flir. Need to get more consistent with landings and ECM usage, then I'll be ready for real missions.

I have the VKB rudders and like them pretty well, but I don't have much of a frame of reference tbh.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:38:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#20]
I figured out all the things I was having problems with. I had a fundamental misunderstanding of how the ACM mode works, but I got it figured out- just need to practice.

I also figured out the carrier thing- ED basically says to just subtract 10 from the course ATC gives you to account for the deck offset. ATC will give you an AZ in magnetic, so no need to account for declination.

"Simple" stuff that can be a pain to figure out....just had a (rough) 3 wire landing though, so it's coming along. This game is interesting. I was talking to my wife about it, it's not..."fun"...but it's rewarding. Like lifting. Lifting sucks, it's hard and weights are heavy. This is kind of like that.
View Quote

Doing trap is my favorite thing. So much so that at the time I tried to make it as challenging as possible !!!

High winds and turbulences caseI(awful cause the deck is moving A LOT. You actually have to time it)

DCS F/A-18C CASE1 45ktsWOD 70Turb

No visibility (260ft) caseIII

DCS F/A-18C CASE III - nighttrap 260 feet visiblity - ICLS all the way

I need to update with new weather
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Doing trap is my favorite thing. So much so that at the time I tried to make it as challenging as possible !!!

High winds and turbulences caseI(awful cause the deck is moving A LOT. You actually have to time it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=567B9pYhTME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWI5O5IEa0

View All Quotes

Nice flying, impressive.
I got the Hornet just because I wanted to do carrier landings- glad I did.
Watching that second video it all makes sense to me except the lateral positioning.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m telling ya Tomcat Case III with a pitching deck is a bitch. You end up with a bit of a crosswind and the needles aren’t gyro stabilized so you have to hope you’re on proper glide slope. It’s so satisfying to grab a wire like that or have an OK bolter when the deck slides out from under you.

We do these with my group a few times a month with an LSO and some in “combat” to radar vector your approach.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
Are you constantly sliding the throttle back and forth to maintain the bracket?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
View All Quotes

You should be.  Watch the real deal jockeying the throttles down to the last second.
F 18 carrier landing in bad weather and low visibility Military videos
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#25]

You should be.  Watch the real deal jockeying the throttles down to the last second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ryiJP3H7OY
View Quote

Pffft. Real pilots use autoland...  
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:15:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskanforfreedom] [#26]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ryiJP3H7OY
View Quote
I understand that in theory. I'm just trying to understand how drastic the adjustments are. Also I thought ATC could do that? Obviously that takes more skill out of the equation....
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I understand that in theory. I'm just trying to understand how drastic the adjustments are. Also I thought ATC could do that? Obviously that takes more skill out of the equation....
View Quote

Just wait till you discover Autmatiskfhartkontroll...
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm kicking around the idea of one of the WW2 planes.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I really like the P-47. It’s fairly easy to fly if you’re newer to older stick and rudder flying.
I messed up by buying the Spit first and holy crap is that thing twitchy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freerider04] [#30]
Originally Posted By clayvt:
I really like the P-47. It’s fairly easy to fly if you’re newer to older stick and rudder flying.
View Quote

I've been looking at that, the P-51, and the spitfire.  I should have tried them out in the free play time but I forgot to
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By freerider04:
View Quote
Post WWII F86F is actually really fun. It even has an archaic radar A2A gun reticle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

‘Yes, generally speaking, but you need to be careful, because high turbulence (70kts) will rock those brackets anyway, so you don’t have to chase that. Just try to keep that average
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:01:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Azygos] [#33]
Originally Posted By clayvt:
View Quote

I've been looking at that, the P-51, and the spitfire.  I should have tried them out in the free play time but I forgot to
View Quote

[hijack]

C.W. Lemoine/Mover, if you’re lurking or posting in here, thanks for the great YouTube content.

Bomber Escort! Trying the P-51 in DCS!
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:40:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RichieRich3902] [#34]
View Quote

The BF109 and P51. I usually have more fun with the 109 because everyone else wants to fly allied planes.

ETA: you already have the TF-51 which is worth playing with to get a few for warbirds. It’s a P51 without the guns, it’s lighter and faster which makes it a good racer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Man BVR is kicking my ass. I seem to understand the fundamentals of the radar...mostly...but I'm not picking them up as early as I feel like I should. My wingman always gets them first. I'm flying that scramble 5, 1989 mission for the Hornet. I take off, I switch my EW to on and the ALE47 to auto (which seems to do fuckall). A/A and RWS and move to TWS once I finally get them. I launch an AMRAAM and go cold like I've seen in some tutorials, but I don't ever see ANY launches on my RWR or the EW screen. If I'm lucky I get a couple kills before I inevitably get splashed.

Also, if I gain a ton of altitude immediately I can't ever seem to get the enemy on the radar, even if I lower the elevation and play with the azimuth and such.

Frustrating because I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but even still those couple kills are satisfying.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:03:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#36]
Also, gents- I appreciate all the help getting started, in particular Harlikwin but there's been quite a few answering my tooooons of questions.
I printed off some extensions for a Warthog, they also fit the Virpil sticks and probably others as well.
Left to right 50mm, 75mm, 100mm and 120mm.
I grabbed the one I want and would be happy to ship these out to anyone that wants them, just let me know. Can't promise to ship quickly as I have travel coming up, but will get them out as soon as possible.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:53:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#37]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Got my new chair put together again during my leave.  I think I'm about ready to order the 8040 to replace the 2x4s.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:24:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#39]

Its way easier to pick them up if youre below them. Especially in jets like  the tomcat. Make sure  you use the datalink. You wont hear an ir Missile launch in the hornet. So if youre getting killed without hearing rwr warning you either got gunned or ate an ir missile. Some of those russian ones go a long way too.  I think only the a10 can pick up IR launches.
View All Quotes
Man BVR is kicking my ass. I seem to understand the fundamentals of the radar...mostly...but I'm not picking them up as early as I feel like I should. My wingman always gets them first. I'm flying that scramble 5, 1989 mission for the Hornet. I take off, I switch my EW to on and the ALE47 to auto (which seems to do fuckall). A/A and RWS and move to TWS once I finally get them. I launch an AMRAAM and go cold like I've seen in some tutorials, but I don't ever see ANY launches on my RWR or the EW screen. If I'm lucky I get a couple kills before I inevitably get splashed.

Also, if I gain a ton of altitude immediately I can't ever seem to get the enemy on the radar, even if I lower the elevation and play with the azimuth and such.

Frustrating because I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but even still those couple kills are satisfying.

Its way easier to pick them up if youre below them. Especially in jets like  the tomcat. Make sure  you use the datalink. You wont hear an ir Missile launch in the hornet. So if youre getting killed without hearing rwr warning you either got gunned or ate an ir missile. Some of those russian ones go a long way too.  I think only the a10 can pick up IR launches.

Ah okay. A few simple things like that I'm still missing. I'll look into the datalink, some training and canned missions must have that on at the beginning but I'm assuming the real combat missions do not. That would explain a lot....

Eta
Tactically it's better to be higher or no?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:39:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#41]

I guess it depends. Your weapons will go much further and your fuel will last way longer.  But you’re also very visible. Im just speaking generally about how the Radar works. Its easier to pick up a target against sky vs against terrain, i struggle to pick them up if they’re in the weeds. . Also you need to be very aware of where your nose is pointed it makes a huge difference. Also if they are close in make sure you are utilizing the acm modes.
View All Quotes

Ah okay. A few simple things like that I'm still missing. I'll look into the datalink, some training and canned missions must have that on at the beginning but I'm assuming the real combat missions do not. That would explain a lot....

Eta
Tactically it's better to be higher or no?

I guess it depends. Your weapons will go much further and your fuel will last way longer.  But you’re also very visible. Im just speaking generally about how the Radar works. Its easier to pick up a target against sky vs against terrain, i struggle to pick them up if they’re in the weeds. . Also you need to be very aware of where your nose is pointed it makes a huge difference. Also if they are close in make sure you are utilizing the acm modes.

Gotcha, thanks. Yeah, I am practicing ACM modes once within 10nm or so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I never watch vids of other people playing a games but watching people dogfight on DCS is seriously entertaining.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#43]
all i have is the A-4 but id be willing to play with some peeps
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:15:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2alpha-down0] [#44]
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
all i have is the A-4 but id be willing to play with some peeps
View Quote

Check out "The Vietnam War" server; it has A-4 slots.  There's a few people on there most of the time.

Our Discord:  https://discord.gg/8hvsS33x
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Got my new chair put together again during my leave.  I think I'm about ready to order the 8040 to replace the 2x4s.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66085/IMG_2483_jpg-1914222.JPG
View Quote

That is amazing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#46]

View Quote

Ok...

Statement 1.... Not to be a dick but it seems like you don't . And broadly speaking radar modeling is currently all sorts of fubared across DCS, hopefully the might get looked at "soon"(tm). The hornet just got its Radar "adjusted" to something resembling reality (It outranged the F15C for a loong time which is a joke, the viper currently still outranges both, and it will be a sad day in Viperland when the proles discover their radar range is less than their optimistic max missile range....)

Generally if you want to see a target, you want to be in high PRF mode if its closing with you, RWS stuff like that. Switch to MPRF/tws once you are close, like 20-30nm since now the target might be maneuvering. If you aren't familiar with the term "notch/notching" I'd go get familiar.

Statement 2. On the Hornet if your ECM is on, your radar isn't or its degraded (last I checked DCS just modeled off), in general don't use it on the hornet, or only briefly since HOJ is a thing. Don't ever use Auto CM since they don't work, you want to use manual dispense or semi.

Statement 3. You generally want to support your missile as much as possible (IRL you use STT to do that, but DCS doesn't model the why's or why nots of this). Never ever go cold before a fox3 is active it will likely miss (and should) unless your target is an airliner flying straight and level.

Also, don't believe the DLZ on the hornet, its broken currently. But most people shoot waaaay too long expecting kills.

Seriously setup a few training missions for yourself that are basically gonna be turkey shoots, figure out how to shoot turkeys turn up the difficulty, I like mig21's and F4's myself, start by just giving em guns, and then fox2's etc.

And then start fighting online where everything you learned against the AI won't work against players, since they have IQ's higher than a glass of pond water.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#47]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66085/IMG_2483_jpg-1914222.JPG
View Quote

Thats funny, I'm thinking about using 2x4's to replace my 80/20 stuff
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Ok...

Statement 1.... No it seems like you don't. And broadly speaking radar modeling is currently all sorts of fubared across DCS, hopefully the might get looked at "soon"(tm). The hornet just got its Radar "adjusted" to something resembling reality (It outranged the F15C which is a joke, the viper currently outranges both....)

Generally if you want to see a target, you want to be in high PRF mode if its closing with you, RWS stuff like that. Switch to MPRF once you are close, like 20-30nm since now the target might be maneuvering.

Statement 2. On the Hornet if your ECM is on, your radar isn't or its degraded, in general don't use it on the hornet, or only briefly since HOJ is a thing. Don't ever use Auto CM since they don't work, you want to use manual dispense or semi.

Statement 3. You generally want to support your missile as much as possible (IRL you use STT to do that, but DCS doesn't model the why's or why nots of this). Never ever go cold before a fox3 is active it will miss (and should).

Also, don't believe the DLZ on the hornet, its broken currently. But most people shoot waaaay too long expecting kills.

Seriously setup a few training missions for yourself that are basically gonna be turkey shoots, figure out how to shoot turkeys turn up the difficulty.
View All Quotes

Ok...

Statement 1.... No it seems like you don't. And broadly speaking radar modeling is currently all sorts of fubared across DCS, hopefully the might get looked at "soon"(tm). The hornet just got its Radar "adjusted" to something resembling reality (It outranged the F15C which is a joke, the viper currently outranges both....)

Generally if you want to see a target, you want to be in high PRF mode if its closing with you, RWS stuff like that. Switch to MPRF once you are close, like 20-30nm since now the target might be maneuvering.

Statement 2. On the Hornet if your ECM is on, your radar isn't or its degraded, in general don't use it on the hornet, or only briefly since HOJ is a thing. Don't ever use Auto CM since they don't work, you want to use manual dispense or semi.

Statement 3. You generally want to support your missile as much as possible (IRL you use STT to do that, but DCS doesn't model the why's or why nots of this). Never ever go cold before a fox3 is active it will miss (and should).

Seriously setup a few training missions for yourself that are basically gonna be turkey shoots, figure out how to shoot turkeys turn up the difficulty.

Well... to be fair, if the modeling is fucked up then I could understand the basics and it's just not working right lol. At any rate, I did some research and found a that there's an occasional glitch with the radar elevation not working right- seems like it will get stuck sometimes which was part of the problem. The data link as mentioned above was another thing that helped, I hadn't turned it on.

I haven't used the ECM at all, just the auto dispense which does work for chaff (though as noted above not for flares, which has also helped understanding that). Unless you mean the ECM is on for the auto function? I do not put it on xmit.

Got it about the AIM 120. How do you know when it goes active?

That's exactly what I've been doing, and it's coming along. A lot to learn....
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#49]

Well... to be fair, if the modeling is fucked up then I could understand the basics and it's just not working right lol. At any rate, I did some research and found a that there's an occasional glitch with the radar elevation not working right- seems like it will get stuck sometimes which was part of the problem. The data link as mentioned above was another thing that helped, I hadn't turned it on.

I haven't used the ECM at all, just the auto dispense which does work for chaff (though as noted above not for flares, which has also helped understanding that). Unless you mean the ECM is on for the auto function? I do not put it on xmit.

View Quote

TBH the hornets radar stuff is among the better modeled in DCS and the tomcat gets the gold star. That being said DCS doesn't even model basic shit like RCS changes with aspect or stores... Both of which majorly effect range.

Yeah DL is king for SA, but learn to live without it too otherwise it becomes a huge crutch, one that is often removed when you go fly online...

Yeah, don't trust the auto dispense for anything, DCS CM's are pretty poorly modeled. IRL Chaff isn't some "Flare" for radar like DCS. Its basically a dice roll, so you want to dump a bunch when the missile is pretty close for it to be effective.

Um, I forget on the F18, but there should be some sort of notification on the hud or radar page, usually a countdown in seconds till active or "hit", in DCS most missiles go active at 10 miles. For the viper it tells you on the hud.

ALSO: CRITICAL... Don't pay attention to any "OLD" videos, DCS missiles used to work with "magic INS" where you could do shit like go cold immediately and it would work. But that got changed a while back... Try to find vids less than a year old, or better yet a few months.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#50]

TBH the hornets radar stuff is among the better modeled in DCS and the tomcat gets the gold star. That being said DCS doesn't even model basic shit like RCS changes with aspect or stores... Both of which majorly effect range.

Yeah DL is king for SA, but learn to live without it too otherwise it becomes a huge crutch, one that is often removed when you go fly online...

Yeah, don't trust the auto dispense for anything, DCS CM's are pretty poorly modeled. IRL Chaff isn't some "Flare" for radar like DCS. Its basically a dice roll, so you want to dump a bunch when the missile is pretty close for it to be effective.

Um, I forget on the F18, but there should be some sort of notification on the hud or radar page, usually a countdown in seconds till active or "hit", in DCS most missiles go active at 10 miles. For the viper it tells you on the hud.

ALSO: CRITICAL... Don't pay attention to any "OLD" videos, DCS missiles used to work with "magic INS" where you could do shit like go cold immediately and it would work. But that got changed a while back... Try to find vids less than a year old, or better yet a few months.
View All Quotes

Ok cool. I was using auto because it's one less thing to worry about, but can get used to manual- I have it mapped.

Definitely could have been watching some old videos. I will find out about the HUD, I probably just missed the indicator.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top